Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Ham-fest last weekend???  (Read 9446 times)
WA2TPU

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Hello to All.
    I was wondering IF any of the Qrp crowd that posts on this forum went to the Ten Tec Hamfest?  The reason I'm asking is I'm curious about the new Ten Tec Argonaut 6??What's it like? When its going to be available? Options like the Jupiter's cw reader?  or a antenna tuner???.
I checked Ten Tec's web site and as of 10th of October there's no info about the Argonaut 6.

Did anyone on this forum make it to the Ten Tec Hamfest and play with the Argonaut 6 or talk to Ten Tec about it??

Best regards and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU ----A REAL 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »

I myself did not go to the TenTec Hamfest, but, there's some info at ...

LINK: http://qrper.com/2012/09/ten-tec-hamfest-argonaut-vi-update/

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »

to WA2ONH......

I saw that on the web.....I just thought possibly someone on this forum who is a regular poster might have gone to the Ten Tec Hamfest...that maybe something new had been discussed about the Argonaut 6 from Ten Tec.

I'm leaning towards a new KX-3 since not much information is surfacing from the Ten Tec folks like did from Elecraft's KX-3 previous to production.

I've put the Christmas and birthday "bugs" in my 5 children's ears on hopefully getting me the KX-3 as a gift. Luckily my birthday is 26th of December....Yep! I'm hopeful.

Thanks for your reply Charlie.
   Don sr. -- WA2TPU
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »

I was unable to go, but I know several people who did, including my good friend Bill W3WH.

There were several tents set up outside the factory to demonstrate Ten Tec equipment, and this included working Argonaut VI rigs with the new 418 linear.  I have pictures from Bill and some of the others showing this, and Bill was telling me about his own experience operating the new rig.

So I think it's fair to say that they did more than just "discuss" the new rig.

IIRC, the demo rigs and some others are now in the hands of beta testers for final shakedown.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »

To W3WN......
Thanks for your posting. I want to know more about the Argonaut 6 so I can compare it to the KX-3 specs...Bottom line is I'm going to be buying myself a new rig for Christmas and its going to be either the Argonaut 6 if available or I'll get on the KX-3 list.

Don sr. - WA2TPU-- A TRUE 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

Hi Don,

I went to the Ten Tec hamfest. I was well worth going. I went both days, took the factory tour Friday and the flea market the second day was very good, bigger than a few years ago. If you can go in the future, stay in Pigeon Forge, see the Bush's Baked Beans museum in anearby town, and take in a show at Pigeon Forge (lots to do there). I made it a long weekend with my parents and wife.

I went to the forum for the Argonaut 6. Interesting radio. A bit smaller than the Eagle, and it's receive specs are very close to the Eagle they say. No FM, doesn't have all the HF bands, no 6 meters. They expect to advertise to sell November or December (more December), after the testers have had some time with them to make sure there are no problems they missed in their testing. Price would be under $1,000 but they wouldn't commit to a number just yet. I believe the display will have the same color options as the Eagle.

While there I looked at the Eagle and I came away very impressed. My unscientific test was to dial down the bandwidth and hear what the radio sounded like, and then go off frequency from a SSB signal with the bandwidth around 2.7khz.

No ringing at narrow bandwidths (the 300hz I tried) (I don't know what filters were installed) and the SSB signal gradually went away as I dialed outside the 2.7 bandwidth.

So if the Argonaut 6 is based off the Eagle, I believe many will love it. It may or may not have transverter offset display (I forget what they said about that)

I think they said it will take the same filters as the Eagle. I think it will be a homerun. Small radio with great receiver.

Hope this helps
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »

Thanks to all who replied to my query about the Argonaut 6.
Again, THANKS.

Don sr. - WA2TPU
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

I found a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrOjHzErAnE

Notice how big the hand tuning the radio is compared to the radio
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

To the last poster.....

Thanks for the U-Tube video information showing the Argonaut 6.

The size of the Argonaut 6 when compared to the person's hand doing the tuning  was quite a surprise to me.
Obviously, the new Argonaut 6 is going to be much smaller than the previous Argonaut models.

I like the smaller size and it appears to be a real portable back packing rig that I will seriously consider buying when it is available from Ten Tec.

Again, Thanks.
Don sr. - WA2TPU
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »

I went to Ten Tec on the 12th of this month and took the factory tour, great place! They had around 20 or so of the new Argonaut almost ready to go out to beta testers. Stan said they would be released for public sale by the end of the year. Wasn't sure on a definite price yet.

Jim
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »

to W8LGZ --

Jim,
   Thanks for your posting. I've been on the air over the last week talking to others who went to the Ten Tec hamfest. All I've conversed with had a great time and was impressed with the factory tour. I hope to be able to go to next year to this event.

Don sr. - WA2TPU

KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

to W8LGZ --

Jim,
   Thanks for your posting. I've been on the air over the last week talking to others who went to the Ten Tec hamfest. All I've conversed with had a great time and was impressed with the factory tour. I hope to be able to go to next year to this event.

Don sr. - WA2TPU

If you can make it, you won't be disappointed!  Grin  Terrific people, great show, and always nice to take a tour and see how it's all done.  I was going to buy a used Jupiter but someone beat me to it.  They have a radio room where you can try out the rig of your choice before you buy.  Hopefully they'll have the Argonaut 6 ready before the end of the year.  Might make a nice Christmas gift (to me  Cheesy ) depending on price.  They're only about 20 mins from my QTH so I might go over there early Dec. and see what their status is on the new rig.

Eric
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »

to KK4CPH.....

I'm envious Eric....Ah.....to be 20 minutes from either Ten Tec or Elecraft would be a dream come true for me.

Later today I'm going to call Ten Tec and talk to Stan in sales to find out if the Argonaut 6 will be available befor Christmas.

I hope so Eric because from the U-Tube video of the Argonaut 6 IF the price is within my budget I will seriously consider buying one.

Thanks for your posting.

Don sr. - WA2TPU
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »

Eric - KK4CPH,

I hope to make it to the Ten Tec hamfest next year, had a family matter that prevented it this year. I did get in to the radio room there and played around a little bit with the new Argonaut, seems like it will be a nice rig; about the same size as the IC-703, give or take. I have my eyes on an Eagle though. Maybe Dayton 2013?? We shall see!

Jim
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »

You're welcome, Don. If you can at least make it there for the tour, it's well worth it. Professional shop and, judging from Stan and the other gentleman I met (forget his name), great staff!!

Jim
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: