Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HY GAIN TH-2MK3, Anyone Using This Yagi?  (Read 1847 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

I have read the few reviews on this yagi but I would like to hear from someone who is using this antenna. Good or bad experiences.

I am debating on buying one as I need a small footprint tri band and this one fits the bill. But I am not going to waste my money if you were not happy with the antenna if you had it up in the past.

So feel free to post here or email me with your thoughts.

73, Rick VE3FMC
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

Although I dont use one, talked to a few. Fair antenna for limited space. If moneys no object, look at the stepper 2 element. http://www.steppir.com/2-element-yagi, gets you all the bands in between too.  Mt 2 cents  Smiley

Hope ta talk to ya soon whatever you end up with! 

73 Dave KD8GEH
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:37 AM »

I could afford the SteppIR but I am not going to spend that on a beam that is only going to be mounted 30 feet off the ground! I'd rather spend $1300 on installing a good free standing tower then mount a 2 element Hy Gain on top  Grin

I started a thread on this antenna on QRZ. Funny thing is there has been 140 views of the threads and no replies. So it is one of two things, no one uses the antenna or no one wants to reply if they do use it. Roll Eyes

Thanks for the reply.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »

ALL properly designed 2 element yagis exhibit around 3-4 dbd "gain" over a dipole, everything else being equal.  Front to back is around 15 db and is (IMO) and is where you will receive the most benefits by reducing the strength of unwanted signals.

At only 30 feet do not expect any yagi (even a 5 element mono-bander) to be a pileup buster on any band, but especially not on 20 meters.

Dick  AD4U
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

ALL properly designed 2 element yagis exhibit around 3-4 dbd "gain" over a dipole, everything else being equal.  Front to back is around 15 db and is (IMO) and is where you will receive the most benefits by reducing the strength of unwanted signals.

At only 30 feet do not expect any yagi (even a 5 element mono-bander) to be a pileup buster on any band, but especially not on 20 meters.

Dick  AD4U

I realize I will not bust pile ups at 30 feet Dick. But for now that is the height I am stuck with until I redo that tower. Anything directional has to be better than the dipole!

I also have the option of installing a multi band vertical on the roof of my utility shed. Height would be about 15 feet off the ground on a rood tri pod. I have room for 4 radials per band, so that might be an option too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:10:42 AM by VE3FMC » Logged
WB1FFI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:05 PM »

Rick, I have been using this antenna since 1988 due to chimney mount, approximate 30 feet height from ground, neighborhood issues and XYL issues. I get reasonable directional strength from the antenna which helps in hearing dx stations, but I also use a SB-200 amp especially on 20 meters to get through pileups successfully. I have worked some tough pileups successfully with this combination. See my antenna photo on qrz.com.
73, Barry WB1FFI
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

Rick, I have been using this antenna since 1988 due to chimney mount, approximate 30 feet height from ground, neighborhood issues and XYL issues. I get reasonable directional strength from the antenna which helps in hearing dx stations, but I also use a SB-200 amp especially on 20 meters to get through pileups successfully. I have worked some tough pileups successfully with this combination. See my antenna photo on qrz.com.
73, Barry WB1FFI

Hi Barry

Thanks for the reply and your input. Here is the plan I have now. A local ham has offered me a Mosley TA-33SR for $50. So I am going to buy it, clean it up and install it as a 2 element at the same height you have yours mounted at.

Power will not be an issue, I have an AL-80A if I need more power to work DX.

I will check your QRZ profile.

Again, thanks for the input. I knew there had to be someone out there that was using that beam!

73, Rick VE3FMC
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »

Congrats on the good deal, Rick. I've never spoken to an unhappy Mosley antenna user. The combination of the antenna with the AL-80 should stand you in good stead for HF DX ops.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

Rick, if you make the TA-33 into a 2-el beam some stuff has to change.

I'd set it up like the Mosley model TA-32.  The TA-33 uses DE-DIR spacing of 5'11" and DE-REF spacing of 7'11".  Neither of those will be right for a 2-element version.  The TA-32 is 7'0" long, for example.

But if you re-configure per the TA-32 dimensions for everything that should work.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »

I'd set it up like the Mosley model TA-32.  The TA-33 uses DE-DIR spacing of 5'11" and DE-REF spacing of 7'11".  Neither of those will be right for a 2-element version.  The TA-32 is 7'0" long, for example.

But if you re-configure per the TA-32 dimensions for everything that should work.

That is exactly what I was planning on doing Steve. I have the TA-32 manual downloaded and will set up two elements accordingly. Hey nice to see you on a different forum  Grin

73, Rick VE3 Ford Motor Company
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »

LOL, you beat me to it ! Yes, he will be just fine, if he follows the 2 element Mosley Plans. And, for 50 dollars, I do not think he can do any better. He might want to call Mosley, just to be sure what model to copy ?
Hell, with the money he saved, maybe he can slap a Mosley WARC Dipole in there somewhere too ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: