Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Women's Brains different from Mens.Why are there fewer YL's than OM's  (Read 13857 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »

>If you've done any reading in the various forums here on eHam you will notice that most women don't want their husbands fooling around with ham radio and especially putting up antennas in the back yard...... let alone becoming a ham!<

I got moaned at when the tower was wound down for 3 months, even though she didn't have time to operate.......But when we met, it was at the radio club, and she had her own call then. Currently neither of us have time to operate...
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:26 AM »

There are plenty of nerdy women.  The software engineering department where I work is mostly women.

However, there's a cultural problem.  Women tend to be more organized than men.  By a wide margin.  I don't know if it's because we were all raised to at least picture ourselves running a household with children, managing plumbing repairs, planning meals, etc.  Maybe it's something at birth, but I think it's cultural.  Our most efficient project managers at work are all women.  The male executives who are the most organized are the ones with good admin assistants (women).

When I go to any ham club meeting, the incredibly random, disjointed and disorganized way that the men in the group attempt to "plan" any kind of event makes me wonder how these guys haven't gotten themselves killed yet.  A few groups have allowed me to help them out, but most seem resistant to even admitting that a woman might be more organized than a man.

There are bright shiny spots here and there.  I can only imagine that it would be a joy to work with Eric and Wayne of Elecraft.  Everything I experience when in their presence at events says that they are outstanding planners.  But my geekiness doesn't extend to electronics, so I won't have that chance.

Women, in recent years, have not been as prone to joining leisure groups.  All of society is more goal-driven than ever, and women more so (again, cultural, I think).  Ham clubs have an overall aura of "settin' round the fire and ratchetjawin'", and that's not appealing to progress-driven people.  Leisure is what you do when you're doing a triathlon.

I might not have captured some of this correctly.  After all, I am a ham, so there was enough appeal to me.  My reasons for being in the hobby?  A sense of individuality: to do something that does not appeal to most, to be able to reach out to people in foreign lands without the crutch of the internet; to make new friends who are vastly different than I am.

- k
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »

I asked Jackie KA5LMZ, aka "The Goddess of Radio", long time ham and our club president, how she got involved in ham radio. 

Most couples who are both hams, it was the husband first, then the wife later gets licensed at his urging.  With Jackie, it's the other way around.  She's an Extra, her daughter a General, her husband and chief antenna hanger is a Tech.

Anyway, she answered, "When I was a schoolgirl I had read about ham radio, talking to people in other states and far away places on the radio.  Now what little girl wouldn't want to do that?"

Grin

Paul - AE5JU
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »

A long-ago girlfriend of mine figured it out.

"Women," she said, "use the Right Brain. Men use the Wrong Brain."

This explains the "long-ago" status.

Bill
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »

Why do women not become hams?

Go to a hamfest and look at the attendees.

I think you will get the point  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But yet, don't they end up marrying them?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: