Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TH-79A display problems  (Read 6749 times)
N0NNE

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2002, 12:05:38 AM »

Display started to fade out a few months ago, Now it is displaying all kinds of symbols and junk. Sometime it even starts to scroll.tried a master reset and it helped for 30min. Any ideas?
S56KZN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2002, 09:25:01 AM »

Did not try it myself, find this display problem fix somewhere on the net.

There are often contact problems between the main board and
      the display. To fix the problem fasten the screws at the
      backside of the display. Now the display should work again.
      You can lock the screws with some nail-paint for example.
W8BLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 04:07:24 PM »

I had this same problem on my TH-79. The repair was fairly simple. Once you remove the three screws from the back of the unit and seperate the two halves you will notice there is a fairly long ribbon cable going between the two halves (this is the display connector.)

I simply reseated the ribbon cable and tightened the PCB screws and this fixed the problem.
KC5LNU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »

My twelve year old TH-79A all of a sudden got the garbled display bug.  After researching the matter, here's how I fixed it:

Phase 1:  Remove the four case screws, three on the back, one on the side (under the rubber cover).  Open the case and notice the silver ribbon connecting the board to the display.  There is a connector that connects the ribbon to the board.  The connector has a brown "rail" or bar on one side.  Gently lift the rail, one end at a time.  The rail stays up by itself, you don't have to hold it up.  Once lifted, the ribbon is released from the connector. Pull the ribbon out of the connector and then reinsert the ribbon and push the rail back down.  I did this procedure to both ends of the ribbon.

Phase 2:  I don't know why this needs to be done, but it's easy so I did it.  Just loosen the board's mounting screws and retighten.  Actually, I did this to all the mounting screws I could get to.

I reassembled and powered it up.  The display was back to normal.  There was no memory loss with these procedures.

PE1RLN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »

It has been a while since the previous post but the display problems still occur these days.

I posted my solution on mods.dk but the problem with strange and scrolling characters was new for me. However, all the above solutions may work. I simply disassembled the entire unit and built it back together. After that, all contact were loosened and maybe cleaned by removing them. Any way, it worked.

So display problems on your nearly antique (mine is 16 years old now, still going strong!) TH-79 can be solved by these methods.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: