Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking Valiant RY1  (Read 4286 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

Relay RY1 has gone south in my Valiant transmitter.

Can anyone tell me the specifications for a replacement ?

In the parts list it says: Part No. 22.1207  RY1   Relay DPST N.O. relay.

Ken
AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

Ken,

Did they have one on the Johnson Viking II? If so, I have a scrap heap Johnson Viking II. If it is still in there, you are welcome to it.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »

Thank you very much for the reply and the kind offer.

I downloaded the manual for the Viking II and I don't believe that rig has PTT. I don't see a relay on the schmatic.

In the Valiant, that relay switches on your high voltage either with the front panel switch or your microphone PTT. My relay has been replaced before (prior to my owning the rig). I used the rig with no problem one day, next day I went to transmit on 40m AM and had no high voltage accompnied by the smell of something burning. I can't locate any obviously burnt components, and I know the relay isn't working, so I am going to replace the relay and go from there. I believe this is a DC relay and the coil on mine has about 190 volts DC on it. I am not sure if it failed because the previous owner used the wrong relay or not. Again, I am going to replace the relay and see if that solves the problem. If not, I am no further behind than I am now.

Ken
AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »

BAMA manual says, "... the (PTT) switch in the microphone activates the relay..." and both that and SW8 transmit/PTT take their feed off the top of the VR tube string per the schematic.  so you need a DC plate circuit relay, DPDT or DPST, probably in the 5000 ohm class so you don't load the regulated voltage too much.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

If you know the specs of the coil and contacts, go to mouser electronics and check their database. I can usually find what I am looking for or at least something that will work with some ingenuity.

Jim
AC2EU

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

The Viking II has a sandby/transmit toggle switch, no push to talk (unless modified
to add one).   

Allen KA5N
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »

Did you confirm you have voltage on the relay or did you ohm it out? Maybe a dropping resistor went south if there is no voltage on the relay.
Regards
Dick KH2G
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »

There is voltage on the relay. But the contacts don't pull.

The relay in this transmitter is NOT the factory relay. I checked the voltages up to the relay. I took the relay out of the box and hit the high voltage switch and the contacts don't switch.

KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »

The original relay is a 120 or 110 volt relay . It is marginally effective as it is powered from the bias supply at a few volts below it's rating . Also need  to mention fairly high voltage across the PTT line . Better to build in a 12 volt DC source and replace the relay with one using a 12 VDC coil . 12 VDC relays are plentiful and fairly cheap . Contacts rated for 5 or 10 amps work well .

You can use a simple voltage doubler across the filament line or add a very small transformer and rectifier combo as there is plenty of room below the chassis deck .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: