Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you clean ceramic tubes?  (Read 5802 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 05:43:41 AM »

7G:  Copy that..... no aluminum but the point being that Cascade is hard on aluminum so could also be on other metals...... just a FYI.

It is hard on Aluminum because of basic chemistry and the two tend to react. It does not make it unsafe with other metals.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »

I took some advice on forums and put an old telegraph key in the dishwasher, and it totally ruined it. It removed the glaze from the Bakelite. I also have had problems with printing or dials with something as simple as Windex.

After a few cases or trouble, I just just use warm soapy water unless I am SURE what I use causes no problems. For tubes, I use air and 100% pure alcohol, xylene, or acetone.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

JX: 
It does not make it unsafe with other metals.

Are you SURE??
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »

For really big tubes I use a car wash self squirt facility.

Make sure the amplifier is unplugged and that the tubes have cooled down.... Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:37 AM »

Back in the days of my youth !  We used a "vapor degreaser", a machine that created a vapor of degreasing solvent by boiling the liquid.  The vapors would rise in the tank until hitting a cooling coil at which time the vapors condensed and returned to the boiling chamber.  The very large and very expensive medical device boards would be lowered into the vapor region and allowed to set until they where degreased/defluxed and spanking clean.  All components where installed and no harm no foul.

Since you proably don't have access to one of these marvels use your favorite degreaser and spray  - flood the tube, wipe w/ lint free cloth/swabs and let drain / repeat.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »

Forget abt all this work! Just send the amp to me and buy a new one!!!   Grin
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

Alas, the common solvent for vapor degreasers, Dupont Freon TF (generically CFC-113 or trichlorotrifluoroethane, a higher boiling point relative of R-12 & R-22 refrigerants and fantastically effective, (relatively) cheap, but a BRUTAL ozone depleter  is no longer available -- that a job it would do, hold over the boiling side, then dip in the clean ultrasonic side, finally hold up in the vapors to rince, slowly removing completely. Don't know what people now use for vapor degreasing, where they haven't gone to other technologies.

Aluminum, as used on anode air cooling fins, is more sensitive to stronger alkaline detergents than many metals, I expect hot water and hand dish washing detergents or, 409, Fantastic, Krud Kutter, etc, followed by a water rinse should remove all but the most difficult soils. The alumina ceramic should be completely non-porous even if not glazed, the water will wet it but won't soak in (if it does, it'll just displace the air that got in before it anyway <g>).
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: