Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it about the money?  (Read 23048 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

OK.  I can understand a BIG Special Event event.  One that maybe lasts for a long period of time and takes a little money to feed the crew and print up some nice CERTIFICATES. (Route 66 and 13 Colonies comes to mind.)  I don't mind donations for that.

In fact, I use to chase certificates for special events.  And I would always toss in the requested donation OR donate a couple of bucks if a certificate were involved.

It got to the point that I couldn't handle all of the certificates I was getting so I had my print shop reduce their size to that of a post card and laminated them.  And after deciding to do that, I opted out of asking for certificates henceforth and just requested a simple QSL.  I ALWAYS included an SASE for QSL requests.

Then I run into a lone wolf operator who decides to do a holiday SE station for a weekend from his residence.  He doesn't offer a certificate; so I send the traditional SASE.  I receive a QRZ page print-out back, using my SASE, that states he not only wants an SASE....but $1 - for a simple QSL CARD.  And then he goes on to state that no E-QSL's or LOTW will be honored whatsoever.

Don't put me in the 'cheap ham' category because it's only a buck.  But he's wasted my SASE with the ink he wasted printing up the refusal of a QSL.  And his refusal at E-QSL and LOTW makes me wonder if he isn't trying to get enough donations for a nice used rig.  I mean....500 contacts over a weekend might net you a sharp lookin' Heathkit.

Again, we are talking about a lone op, refusing all E-QSL/LOTW and NO CERTIFICATE; just a lil' ol' QSL card.

Not sure what to think on this one and really the first time I've run into something like this.  It's hard to look inside a man's heart; but actions also speak loader than words.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »

I am one of the 13 Colonies operators from SC and I know that we basically break even in the end if DX operators send the required postage amount.  For example a lot of DX operators send a $1.00 when postage is actually $1.10 to their country.  So, when a stateside operator sends a buck along with their SASE or a DX operator sends an extra buck, it gives me some funds to make up the difference from the DX operators who don't send the full amount.

As far as my personal operations go, a SASE sent with your card gets a return card.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »

Hello Dennis....

Your Special Event is one of the best out there and I wish others would pattern theirs after yours.  Thanks for helping put it on every year.  Your events has three ops scheduled for each state.  Even if one op comes down sick, two ops can handle the slack.  I wish other big SE's would adopt your plan.

You brought up an interesting point.  So I looked up this ham's 'one by one' on DX Summit....just to see who he had worked.  Just one DX spot out of the whole mess.  And the others?  The time of day(s) and the band he was operating would have only yielded stateside contacts.  Yet ANOTHER case for making this just a quick weekend buck.

Your comment lead me to dig into my trash can to once again look at the print-out that he mailed me, just to see if he had instructions for DX contacts.  Sure enough, he states a self-addressed envelope and $2 USD. So....a DX QSL card costs 95 cents to mail (excluding VE & XE, which cost less....).  Therefore, he would actually make five cents more on DX stations.

Probably the clincher in this case: He also states NO QSL BUREAU for DX cards! 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:55 PM »

I am one of the 13 Colonies operators from SC ...

I sure have enjoyed working you guys the last couple of years.  VERY nice operation all around, and a lot of fun for everybody.  (Yeah, I know this is off topic but what the heck.) 

Me, for a special event station where I actually want a card, I send a SASE and most of the time I throw a "green stamp" in to help with bureau cards, printing, etc.  Not all the time, but over half the time.  You guys put on the show; it's up to the rest of us to help out, at least a bit. :-)

Some of the "13 Colonies" cards I got this year were REALLY nice.  And I had a lot of fun working the stations I worked.   As WA8MEA said, it's a classy operation and a lot of fun--congratulations to everybody involved!  (Yeah, OK, not on topic. Sorry.  But still ...)
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

Hi: Im Ken-KU2US The 13 Colonies event manager. If you want a QSL card, only an SASE will suffice, in fact when there isnt an SASE I will still send the card. Yes, the event costs $$$$ to the tune of several thousand. The stamps are the largest expense- +++ thousand!, with all the large envelopes, certificate printing, QSL card printing, labels and other stuff. I was only in the red during the first year in 2009, because we didnt know what the response would be. I put in $900.00 of my own funds to get this started, and seeing what the event has become, I consider it a donation. Many operators do include a $ to help for a QSL and we thank you, but not required. ALSO I would like to thank those who send in a "Above and beyond donation" for their certificate. I may not get back to you, but it is really appreciated. Again, not required. Every year the event gets larger, and it is very hard to plan in advance the supplies needed. I find that I always under estimate. We all have fun and try to make it fun for you folks to. As far as the Op who wants $1 or $2 for a QSL?, well I will leave that up to your discresion. See you all this July-73-Ken
VE3ES

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »

Ken 

Thanks for your work with the Original 13 Colonies.  Just completed the clean sweep for 2013.  Excellent special event, excellent operators, excellent effort by all.

73, Bill VE3ES
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »

Bill WA8MEA,

I wish I had an answer for you.  Clearly we have some hams out there who are trying to get someone else to pay for their expenses & then some... but I couldn't tell you why they do it.

I was in charge of the effort when my club was the Bonus Station for the Pa QSO Party a few years back, and I handled the QSL cards & certificates for those who worked the multiple county N3SH operations.  Although we asked for a small donation, well, it didn't ever cover the postage; I took care of the actual costs & donated the, ah, donations directly to the club. 

Now, I didn't spend out-of-pocket anything near what Ken has for the 13 Colonies... but there were a few bucks spent.  As far as I was concerned, so what?  It was well worth it.

(And Ken?  Sure hope you have a 2013 certificate for me!)

73, ron w3wn
part of K2M/W3WH
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »

Seems there is a SPECIAL EVENT for every day of the week,every month,& for everything that has happened in history.Some of the call signs look like some kind of secret code or password for your computer! They are like CONTEST,way to many of BOTH Special Events & Contest.   Huh  Roll Eyes   Shocked 

Clayton
W4KVW
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

...way to many of BOTH Special Events & Contest.   Huh  Roll Eyes   Shocked  

Clayton
W4KVW
Well, that's just because there's way too many hams spending far too much time on the air with nothing else to do!  
It's time we all band together to make sure that there is absolutely nothing of interest to accomplish or achieve while on the air in order to deter these obviously amateur overachievers!

</sarc>

Seriously, though...what is the hang-up?  Do you really want uniformity of operation on the ham bands?  Wouldn't that be like having a neighborhood where no one ever had a party or a wedding or some other occasion to do things out of the ordinary?  Yes, the noise and the traffic can be irritating, but the alternative would be like living in a nursing home where dinner is the big event every day (no offense meant to our older forum members  Smiley ).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:00:04 PM by N3HFS » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »

Personally I prefer the weekly HOTA event (Hams On The Air). It's a group of hams who like me consider anytime they get on the air and make an actual contact a Special Event. It's free ,no membership required and no certificates awarded.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »

OK.  I can understand a BIG Special Event event.  One that maybe lasts for a long period of time and takes a little money to feed the crew and print up some nice CERTIFICATES. (Route 66 and 13 Colonies comes to mind.)  I don't mind donations for that.

In fact, I use to chase certificates for special events.  And I would always toss in the requested donation OR donate a couple of bucks if a certificate were involved.

It got to the point that I couldn't handle all of the certificates I was getting so I had my print shop reduce their size to that of a post card and laminated them.  And after deciding to do that, I opted out of asking for certificates henceforth and just requested a simple QSL.  I ALWAYS included an SASE for QSL requests.

Then I run into a lone wolf operator who decides to do a holiday SE station for a weekend from his residence.  He doesn't offer a certificate; so I send the traditional SASE.  I receive a QRZ page print-out back, using my SASE, that states he not only wants an SASE....but $1 - for a simple QSL CARD.  And then he goes on to state that no E-QSL's or LOTW will be honored whatsoever.

Don't put me in the 'cheap ham' category because it's only a buck.  But he's wasted my SASE with the ink he wasted printing up the refusal of a QSL.  And his refusal at E-QSL and LOTW makes me wonder if he isn't trying to get enough donations for a nice used rig.  I mean....500 contacts over a weekend might net you a sharp lookin' Heathkit.

Again, we are talking about a lone op, refusing all E-QSL/LOTW and NO CERTIFICATE; just a lil' ol' QSL card.

Not sure what to think on this one and really the first time I've run into something like this.  It's hard to look inside a man's heart; but actions also speak loader than words.

Your story sounds familiar. A year or so ago, I made contact with someone who had their own special event for 7/4, not involving the 13 colonies. I sent the SASE and the 1$ and what I got back (EVENTUALLY) was a plain QSL card with a bunch of callsigns and the checkbox next to one of them was checked. No pictures, no artwork, nothing for my 1$.

I chase special events. I participate in the 13 colonies event every year, operating QRP, but no clean sweep for me yet. But it's still fun to try.

-- Tom
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »

With the bands this dead I welcome anything that brings up the activity level. 
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

Those WARC bands are an AWESOME place to get away from all of the contest stations but the Special Events are everywhere there is a signal but at least MOST of them stay on one frequency & do not run up & down the bands.Where are all of these QUIET bands these people are talking about? I think the bands are pretty darned busy here in North Florida?  Roll Eyes

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: