Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR 1000 Parts Donor  (Read 3275 times)
KC4MOP

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2012, 03:57:57 AM »

Anyone here know of Flex radios that have become parts donors? A parts unit. My lightning struck SDR 1000 was returned to me and I started digging and have the schematics.
There seems to be excessive draw on a poor 5V reg. If I can, 'one-at-a-time', disconnect the sandwiched boards, where the actual processing of computer commands is done, and find a defective board, I might replace it and get this radio back on its feet. I bought another Flex 1000 and I do not want to get into massive tear-down except to compare some voltages. All of the proper voltages are present on all of the boards.
There seems to be two micro-processors in the radio. One on the board over the 100W PA. and another in the sandwich boards. The one above the PA seems to be working as the LEDs show some sort of life.
Any thoughts??
THanks
Fred
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »

Fred,

I would call Flex Radio, they are a good bunch and you may find whjat you need or maybe some advice on how to locate it.

Duane
N6DMR
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:26 AM »

Sent a message to Dudley in the 'helpdesk' and no response after a one week.
You are correct they usually are very helpful. And their policy is that they will service anything they have made.
The SDR 1000 has been out of production for a long while now and I guess any spare boards are long gone. As a courtesy, they accepted my SDR 1000 and kept it close to a month, and charged me an $85 bench fee and shipping ($110.00), to tell me that too many components may have possibly been damaged by the near-by lightning strike, and they would not want to fix it and have it return with more problems.
We did a similar thing where I used to work in a two-way radio shop. Lightning damaged equipment, base stations, power supplies, were inspected very quickly, cuz we knew that lightning damage can be extensive, and charge the customer for bench time and give them an insurance letter. Of course, there would be sales tactics to buy a newer system.
My radio is boxed up and stashed away as a parts unit for the replacement SDR 1000 I bought online two months ago.
The schematics and all of the logic circuits in there would scare anybody away, without some description of what does what, when.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: