Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In dash Navigation system for APRS.  (Read 24658 times)
W4QED

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »

I am looking for either a unit that will work right off the shelf or I can modify to be used with APRS that has in dash navigation and hopefully all the other bells-and-whistles. Would really like WiFi to be there also. I currently have a Garmin NUVI 350 and an argent data systems cable and no I don't want the Garmin in my dash. HIHI...

Ben ARS w4qed

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »

I've been watching these guys for a while now, but their hardware just isn't quite there yet:

http://www.dynavin.com/android.php

Not quite what you have in mind, but most of the in-dash systems are propitiatory and I don't know of any that output NMEA sentences. With this system you could run APRS Droid and pair up a bluetooth TNC.
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

Not sure I understand, Ben. You looking for a transceiver with built in GPS or Huh

Why don't you want the NUVI in/on your dash?

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
W4QED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

I am just wanting an in dash navigation system. I've been using a laptop and the nuvi for quite awhile and just don't want all the clutter and exposure when parked. I have the Transceiver TH-D700A already.

Ben
K0SXY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »

Ben all you would need then is a gps that outputs NMEA sentences and the proper cabling for the D700. Garmin has several models that will work.  Garmin street pilot III is a popular one or a gps disc from someplace like byonics.com.  If you go with a Garmin you can get the proper cabling off of ebay for $20-$25.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »

My understanding is that the NUVI 350, in addition to outputting your location to the radio/tnc, receives other's postions from the radio/tnc and displays them as waypoints on the NUVI 350 display. If that is what you are doing then you don't have very many other options for a GPS.

If all you are wanting is to transmit your positions then just put a "hockey puck" GPS receiver on the roof and use it for APRS. Then purchase whatever in-dash GPS receiver you like for normal vehicle navigation that fits your existing DIN mount in the dash.
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

I am just wanting an in dash navigation system. I've been using a laptop and the nuvi for quite awhile and just don't want all the clutter and exposure when parked. I have the Transceiver TH-D700A already.

Ben

I guess I'm still not understanding exactly what you'd like. With a Nuvi and your D700, you don't need a laptop. The Nuvi, I'm sure you know, is tiny and instantly removable to hide it from thieves. I'd think the D700 would make a more desirable thief target than some GPS.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
AF6OF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:43 AM »

It appears our esteemed colleagues have failed to address your concerns. First, I understand completely that what you are looking for is a built-in, Dash installed GPS display receiver, capable of APRS operations. This is a question of form before  function, and a cobbled together system of outdated GPS receivers and radios stuck to your dash with glue, duct tape, and/or vent mounts is not desirable.

Secondly, from my research, none of the standard installable navigation systems include the NMEA communications protocols allowing you to have the unit perform as a nav/APRS system. This is frustrating. They have 90% of what we need, and if we had a talented hacker to solve this for us, we would be happy pandas indeed!

There are two options that I can suggest. The first is a "mobile computer" This takes a Double DIN car stereo slot in your dash and allows a special, SVGA touch screen monitor to be used with a "mobile computer" . These look a lot like mobile amplifiers, and are real computers that run on 12 volts and are designed for cars. They can be mounted under dash or under seat, and have all the regular ports, so you can run it as a Nav system with off-the shelf software, or as a NAV/APRS system with APRS software. You can find these on E-Bay, and besides handling Nav, they can of course act as MP3 players, FM radios, and have 3g and bluetooth connectivity. This is not turn-key or cheap, but beautiful and does not make you car look like something a crazy person drives. You will still of course need a GPS, but all you need is a cheap USB hockey puck receiver, like the type that comes with the mapping software from a variety of vendors, including Microsoft.

My personal preference is to build a Bezel to hold my Avmap G6 ( which is the only brand GPS receiver that actually supports APRS natively)  and install it in the dash where the "junk drawer" goes. This hides it a bit, so no one breaks into the car to steal your GPS. Used with either a Kenwood APRS radio or Byonics TT4 and any radio, the unit does APRS as it was intended, and allows messaging, wiping off stagnant stations, and shows actual Icons instead of a dot and a call sign.

Allen AF6OF
VHS/Byonics
KD6DCK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

I am not alone!!!  I have been researching the same project/functionality for the last 2 years! 

I built my prototype system in Linux using Xastir hoping to use Navit as my GPS nav program.  My hope was to use the 7" JVC stereo (aux input) as my display.  I was able to get all the functions working in the computer, but I was less than pleased with Navit or how Xastir performed on my older prototype hardware (when I added the maps).  Still have not tried to port the output to a small display; I was not pleased with the result on a 14" laptop, I cringe at the thought of all the same info compressed on a 7" display. 

Been exploring many options to try to get to the end result of a clean install that performs all the functions I would like to see in my in-dash system.  The APRS on a map is NOT a requirement for me.  I am willing to use another computer to display the map info when needed.  BUT I would like a much cleaner display of APRS info than the 4 lines of small text from a Kenwood mobie display. 

I have ideas but I am not a computer programmer or app developer to get my ideas into function.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »

Way back when, I was looking at installing a car PC. This site was a good source of ideas and the forums have a lot of people who install custom computers and other hardware. Haven't visited for a long while, but it looks like it's still alive and kicking.

http://www.mp3car.com
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »

The Kenwood car navigation systems use garmin software, so there is a chance you might be able to get NMEA out of it.  I'm not sure anyone's tried, but of existing in dash nav systems, I'm guessing it is the most likely possibility.

Geof
KD6DCK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:42 AM »

The more research I do on COTS (commercial Off The Shelf) hardware, the less hopeful I am of finding a manufactured item that even comes cloes to what you (or me) is looking for. 

After reviewing the latest releases from every major manufacturer for a in-dash navigation media system (the BEST had 3.5 stars on Amazon)  I am giving up on converting an shelf unit.

I am going with a JVC 7" no navigation unit, and an external computer to do the other items.
Running Linux (modified kernel, Ubuntu or Debian), using Navit with Open-Street maps for my navigation program, and using one of these for the ARPS interface on a small screen.

http://youtu.be/HMsYk5gaoNs

http://youtu.be/Pg-buSHbZVc

Xastir is awesome in capability, but did NOT scale down nicely to a 7" screen (any text was unreadable)

Here is a link of all of it running from a Raspberry pi!!!
http://www.pa0esh.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=106
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: