Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHICHIJIMA ISLAND (December 2012)  (Read 1243 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

This one (Ogasawara) is the easier of the two, I believe.   Minami Torishima was much harder for me.

Activity scheduled for 10 -13 December 2012

http://www.dxcoffee.com/eng/2012/10/15/chichijima-island-iota-as-031/

73, Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

Wow. I had never even heard of an entity called Ogasawara. That's one short operation.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

Wow. I had never even heard of an entity called Ogasawara. That's one short operation.

There are two Japanese Islands which are DXCC entities, Ogasawara and Minami Torishima. They are activated quite often, Ogaswara more so than Minami Torishima.  I had no problems working Ogasawara, but the other one was a bitch. Roll Eyes

Both are usually QRV as:  Operator Callsign/JD1.

GL, 73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:41:14 PM by AF3Y » Logged
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

Ive worked Ogasawara a bunch of times... Never Minami!!! And its easy from the Best Coast.. Just have never cuaght them...
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

Ive worked Ogasawara a bunch of times... Never Minami!!! And its easy from the Best Coast.. Just have never cuaght them...

JF7MTO/JD1 is on, sporadically, from there now.

Not sure for how long, last spot was yesterday.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

I worked JD/m before JD/o but neither is all that easy, and both are on the mid-bands only in my my log. Neither on 10/12 or 40/80/160. I really wish someone would activate either or both of these with big signals and big antennas, especially for NA East Coast.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »

I worked JD/m before JD/o but neither is all that easy, and both are on the mid-bands only in my my log. Neither on 10/12 or 40/80/160. I really wish someone would activate either or both of these with big signals and big antennas, especially for NA East Coast.

Could not remember, so checked my log.  I worked JD/o on 12, 30 and 40.  I worked JD/m on 30.  All QSOs were CW, all from the Florida QTH, so all were on the wire vertical. Grin

73, Gene AF3Y
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »

JD/M (Minami Tori Shima) was known as Markus Island back in the day.  It is a very small island that hosted a small contingent of USCG personnel who ran the loran station there.  Many years ago (over a decade ago now?) the loran transmitter was turned over to the JMSDF (Japanese self defense forces) who run the facility today.  There is not much there, but there is sometimes a ham (presumedly with JMSDF connections) that activates the island.  They seem to focus their time for Europe (late afternoon/evenings) - likely after the work day when they are off duty.  JF7MTO/JD1 is currently active from there sporadically, perhaps a couple times a week, usually on CW. 

JD/O (Ogawarara) is a small group of islands that have a resident civilian polulation.  It is a tourist destination for the Japanese domestic market, and seems to be somewhat more readily available on the bands from what I can tell from this part of the world.  There are a couple JA hams who operate there for a few days in late December - over our Christmas holiday - I presume while on vacation.  That is probably your best shot for working this entity.

JD/M should be the rarer entity.  If the base ever closes, it will become much more difficult to work.  Not sure if that would happen any time soon given the currently issues between China and Japan.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »

I really wish someone would activate either or both of these with big signals and big antennas, especially for NA East Coast.

You've got my vote!!!

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

I really wish someone would activate either or both of these with big signals and big antennas, especially for NA East Coast.

You've got my vote!!!

Jonathan W6GX

I hate to tell you this, but I dont think either of my contacts was running QRO.   I seem to remember reading that JD1BLY(I think it was him) finally brought a yagi to Ogasawara. Prior to that, I think all activations were on wires only and no QRO. 
GL, a couple kinda tough entities, especially to E. coast NA.  73, Gene AF3Y
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

8N1OGA put on a decent DXpedition to JD1/O about 10 years ago.  My guess is that they were running some power with gain antennas, given the strength of their signals.

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: