Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-2000 with a Mac Mini Computer How To/Whats Needed??  (Read 4599 times)
KC9QQC

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »

I would like to hook up my Kenwood TS-2000 to my Mac Mini.  What do I need??
VA3XH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

Check out the RigExpert TI-5.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

Basically a real computer would really help a lot Wink

Just kidding!

The "RigBlaster Plug-N-Play" (from West Mountain Radio) is what I use on my TS-2000 but it's on a PC. Basically on the computer side, for most commerical interfaces, you'll need either a physical RS232 or a "COMPATIBLE" USB to Serial adapter and soundcard I/O for RX audio in from the radio and TX audio out to the radio. Some of the newer interfaces use just a USB port and have an internal soundcard capability but I don't think they are compatible with a MAC.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »

I use the SignaLink USB interface with my TS-2000.  It is hard to beat for simplicity and performance.  I've heard it works well with the Mac computers, but that's hearsay.  You might call Tigertronics and ask them directly.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »

Basically a real computer would really help a lot Wink

Just kidding!

The "RigBlaster Plug-N-Play" (from West Mountain Radio) is what I use on my TS-2000 but it's on a PC. Basically on the computer side, for most commerical interfaces, you'll need either a physical RS232 or a "COMPATIBLE" USB to Serial adapter and soundcard I/O for RX audio in from the radio and TX audio out to the radio. Some of the newer interfaces use just a USB port and have an internal soundcard capability but I don't think they are compatible with a MAC.

Gene W5DQ

A rigblaster PNP should work out of the box with a Mac Mini, but if not you may need to install a driver for the UART: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

I use it with Ubuntu running FLDigi, which is "available" for Macs, but might need to be compiled. Note that there's a native Linux driver for the CP2102 UART chip, so it just showed up as /dev/ttyUSB0 when I plugged it in. I know that OSX lists USB serial ports a little differently.

If you just want to access the TS-2000's TNC you'll just need a USB-serial adapter and whatever software you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: