Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TM-V71A: Programming cable and software  (Read 3879 times)
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

The Internet is a dangerous place - there is a lot of conflicting information out there!

Assumed: I can program the Kenwood TM-V71A using RT Software Systems KRS-V71 Software and their RT Systems USB-K5G Cable.

But .................

Unknown: Can I use the same cable to program the TM-V71A using the free Kenwood MCP-2A software?

I do not object (too much) to buying RT System's software and cable but have read there are advantages to the Kenwood programming package. I have also read that the CURRENT VERSION RT cables will NOT work with the Kenwood software (or any software but their own). I would like the ability to use whichever software I choose but have an issue with the need to buy separate cables for each package.

I'd sure be appreciative if there is anyone out there who has first hand experience and wiling to share their observations

Thanks and 73
Jack - WA2OLZ
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:17 AM »

Jack
I've played with a lot of RTSystems cables and software, but not like you are wanting to do.
I know that their usb>serial cable works with different radios/software, but that is a horse of a different color.

I think for you(if are only going to use kenwood software) is to buy kenwoods' PG-5G cable, which is a serial port cable. If you have a USB only computer,RTSystems above cable will get you there.

sorry I could not be of more help, but I would hate to steer you wrong with the usb to radio cable.
Mike
KC9BUH
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I ordered the RTS USB cable (laptop, no serial port) and their software. The general consensus is their cable will probably also work with MCP-2A, but no clear answer yet. I guess I will be a pioneer and let the rest of the community know when it all arrives!

Tnx & 73
Jack
WA2OLZ
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »

Jack
be sure to let me know.
Mike
KC9BUH@gmail.com
thank you
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »

Will do!
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

As promised, Mike

The RT cable works FB with MCP-2A as well!

Jack
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

good news
Mike
KC9BUH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: