Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begali ?  (Read 8423 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »

Begali Signature for me with the palladium base and the long blue paddles.

My reccomendation - if you have the opportunity to try out keys before you buy, do so. I was able to try the Begali's at Dayton and really liked them. It took me another 2-3 years before I would get around to buying one and after being a Bencher user for 20+ years, I'm really glad I bought the Begalis. I prefer the 'feel' of them over the Bencher. I send perfectly fine on either but I prefer the Begalis.

That being said, it's all a matter of preference. One guy might say he loves xyz key, the next guy will tell you it's the most overpriced piece of garbage you can waste money on. In the end it's up to you and whether you like the feel of it. Yep, they are expensive but I like the feel, I'm happy with the choice I made, it does look pretty on the desk, and I use it almost exclusively every day.

As I mentioned before, do try and see if you can find someone nearby who has a Begali key and see if you can try it out before buying one.
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »

Dont drive with a formula 1 in city traffic. Too expensive.

Bencher. (Never change a winning horse) for 25 - 35 wpm.

Which of the Begali keys have you used?

With such a caustic observation, I am sure you have some experiences to share.

Which of the Begali keys have you used and what criteria was used to formulate this evaluation?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Michael AC8IR
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »

I agree, if you can try a couple of keys ahead time this will help choose.

I have a Begali Simplex, and a Simplex Basic.  Also a K8RA P2.  Love them all!

Gud luck on your choice.  You can always sell,and buy another if you do not like your first choice.

73  Scott  N3JJT
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »

What you see in threads like this can invariably be summed up by: "your mileage will vary." It is like asking "Which golf club is best?" to a bunch of golfing fanatics.

Here's my suggestion: first decide if you want dual paddle/squeeze keying, single lever keying or both. Then, will the key always sit on the operating table or will you want to use it portable or on vacation, etc.  That will cut down the choices a bit.

Next, decide how much you want to spend. That will limit things.

Next, if possible go to one of the big hamfests and try them all. If not that, go to local hams and try some. If not that, eham ratings as a guide. Then buy one and try it - if you don't like it, sell it at a small loss and try another one. We are not talking life changing investments here.

I was a long time Vibroplex and Bencher paddle user and decide to upgrade to a N3ZN key a few years ago and I loved it - until at Dayton I tried the Begali Sculpture Mono and realized how much I preferred single lever keying action. I had never even considered it, I thought squeeze keying was what you did and I just wasn't that good at it.

So, my criteria become: single lever, sit on table in shack. On budget, I said "this is a present to myself, from myself and I will be very generous - no limit." So, I went with the Begali Mono Sculpture. At the time, N3ZN didn't have a single lever version but since then he does - I tried that one at a subsequent Dayton and liked it just as well from the hand feeling, cosmetically of course YMWV.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »

I had a Begali Stradivarius and it was great.  I sold it to get the Begali Pearl and it is beautiful.  The reality is that at this level they are all great and it is more a matter or eye appeal than anything else.  The sculpture is the most expensive so it must be the best of them all - no?  Grin
WF2S

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »

If money is no major concern, I suggest the SIGNATURE. It is easier  for me than the Schurr and Bencher.. I am not an accomplished cw op , but have 312 confirmed..  It would be best to try a variety at friend's before you buy any model.. like shopping for an automobile.. Wink
K5ICW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »

I have the Simplex and the Signature. If you go for a Simplex get the gold contacts.Both are outstanding but the Signature is my favorite. The magnetic action suits me just fine. I also have a Schurr Profi 2 which is a splendid spring paddle. Any of these three will put a smile on your face.
KC2MJT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »

Yes.

The only paddles I can work all day. Yes, I use other paddles for a change of pace, but they are all tiring compared to the Begali.

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

Ok you experts,

I currently use a home brew single lever paddle made from old broken bugs.
It works fine, and is a comfortable paddle to use.

But, since I am going to Dayton next year, I thought I would treat myself to a commercial paddle.
Price is not much of an issue, but reliability is a big consideration - what would you guys suggest?

The parameters are:

1. Single lever paddle.
2. Spring tension adjustments - no magnetic systems.
3. Maintains its settings without having to readjust frequently.
4. Quality construction, giving 20 years of trouble free use.
    (This should be easily obtained, since my current paddle has been going for 30 years without problems).
5.  Ability to change finger grips easily.

My re-purposed home brew paddle satisfies the above attributes, so it should be possible to buy a new one which satisfies those criteria.

Of course I would not buy a paddle without trying it first, but as the ad goes - ask a man who drives one.
I would appreciate replies from actual users of paddles, who can see both the good and bad points of various models.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:28:12 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »

ROFL (= hi hi)

Stayvertical believe me, at your QTH it is much less expensive to buy all the available single lever paddles by mail in order to try them out, then spending the money to attend Dayton in order to watch and try all the keys and all the available appliances.

When you could charge your employer , OK, but you can't, according to the time of day distribution of your messages on this website, you are retired.

So, your posting is a nice social experiment, I like that. Does Al, K8AXW like it?

BTW Kent will probably suit you but they probably wouldn't show up in Dayton.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:43:02 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input, I will have a look online at the Kent paddles.
I have never had a commercial paddle (unless you call an old Katsumi keyer a paddle).
So it will be interesting to try some out.
Electronic equipment does not particularly excite me, but an artfully built mechanical device sure does.

I will be attending Dayton for more than just buying a paddle - mainly to see what it is all about.
Then will be visiting relatives in the midwest.
Will also be having a look at the Friedrichshafen hamfest later on.
Some people chase tornado's, or eclipses - I may as well chase hamfests.

On employment - well, I feel I have been retired in the conventional sense my entire life.
I have only ever had jobs which were my hobbies.
But that means you have to jump jobs as they become work, not fun.
The computer industry is a prime example - today working in computers commercially is pretty boring compared to the 1960/70's.
I am still working, but for myself, as always - currently in the financial sector.

For me, money has always only been grease to lubricate the machines which make life interesting.

73 - Rob
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »

For me, money has always only been grease to lubricate the machines which make life interesting.

73 - Rob

OK Rob, but when you have problems to live in the close neighbourhood of other people,  with the avg IQ 100 and all without exemption within  the standard deviation , you have to have it 20 dB above the noise in order to get rid of that noise.

Bob (believe me)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

Begali Signature for me with the palladium base and the long red paddles for me.  I went from a Vibroplex brass racer. 20-35 wpm for me.

The only problem is that it makes everything else I try seem like junk.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: