Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XX9 now active  (Read 6377 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »

As to XX9, they were killer-loud along the long path on 10m here this morning between 8:30 and 9:00am.

Not moving the needle on the meter at all here @13:20, but he hears well.  Smiley

It was the same up here from 1245 till 1330 or so, 4X1. Then he started coming up. Actually wiggled the S meter.
I had been out doing different trips, and checking his freq. He came up a bit more, and got him 1357 from the pickup.

I couldn't hear a peep yesterday short path, then this long path opening. A better LP for me than the usual, which is for east coasters.

73 Tony N5UD /M
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »

I see XX9THX spotted @ 1856 on 30m, which would be CW by default, of course.  Horrible time for the USA, unless possibly you east coast types might be able to hear them long path.  I was surprised to be able to hear 3B9SP on 30m yesterday at roughly the same time.  Not strong enough here to bust the EU pile though, unfortunately.  Glad I don't actually need Rodriques on 30m, having worked G3TXF from there some time back.

Anyway, it appears the the XX9 group must at least have someone aboard that knows code.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:21:45 PM by K0RS » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »

VOACAP shows me having a small window (2200 - 0000, and that's stretching it!!) mostly on 15 meters.  Perhaps 60% chance of working em with my 1/4 vertical and 1KW QRO.  I doubt it, but......We shall see.............. Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »

There must be a black hole surrounding Macau that eats RF. When I've heard them on, they have been very light, and so were signals from the previous DX'pedition a few months ago. Another problem is that I've only seen one operator on a single band at a time, or it sure seems that way.

John K7KB
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 07:47:23 AM »

The members of this expedition are certainly taking advantage of conditions.  I worked them long path on 10 yesterday and on 15 meters today via the long path.  Many expeditions could learn from these guys.  I really didn't have high hopes of working these guys at all but I now have them on 2 bands in 2 days.  It helps that solar conditions have improved dramatically in the past week.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

The members of this expedition are certainly taking advantage of conditions.  I worked them long path on 10 yesterday and on 15 meters today via the long path.  Many expeditions could learn from these guys.  I really didn't have high hopes of working these guys at all but I now have them on 2 bands in 2 days.  It helps that solar conditions have improved dramatically in the past week.

Chris/NU1O

Chris, I am glad you (or anyone) is working them.  After all the hoopla I read about 10 meters activity yesterday morning, I saw them spotted on 10 cw around 1200z this morning.  I went there and sounded like they were working simplex with a couple hundred callers.  I never could hear the DX. No surprise tho....... Angry

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »

Chris, I am glad you (or anyone) is working them.  After all the hoopla I read about 10 meters activity yesterday morning, I saw them spotted on 10 cw around 1200z this morning.  I went there and sounded like they were working simplex with a couple hundred callers.  I never could hear the DX. No surprise tho....... Angry

73, Gene AF3Y
Hi Gene,

Do you know how many times I have wished my QTH was further South, say Florida, for example.  Aren't you experiencing better conditions even if you haven't been able to work the XX9 expedition?
These are the best conditions I've experienced since October to December of last year.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:17:53 PM by NU1O » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »

Yes, I have to admit that condx have been better for the past couple weeks.  However, almost all of the bands seemed to have been a LOT Noiser tho....... Cant have it all, I guess Roll Eyes.

Looks like my optimum time for the XX9 is around 2200z on 15 meters. I dont expect to see them running cw on 15 meters at that time of day. hi hi

That is a TOUGH area for me to work, even tho I do have Nepal and Bhutan (and others in that vicinity) confirmed.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »

Yes, I have to admit that condx have been better for the past couple weeks.  However, almost all of the bands seemed to have been a LOT Noiser tho....... Cant have it all, I guess Roll Eyes.

73, Gene AF3Y

I'm glad I don't have to buy you birthday or XMAS presents!  My static level has picked up a few S units as well but you have to take the bitter with the sweet.

You are a hard guy to please!  Cheesy

Chris/NU1O
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »

Chris/NU1O

Except the fact that you worked them twice I am not sure based on which other fact you think other dxpeditions could learn from this guys.There were nice LP openings but only for stations east of Mississippi river and the XX9 guys missed almost all SP openings to USA. I just saw they self spotted on 12m (EB5BBM), way too late for all but maybe few west coast stations. There is almost zero chance for anyone in W0 land to work them long path. Today I worked short path a bunch of JA's, DU, 9M6, 9V... etc with good signals on 12m, but XX9 was no show until too late. Unless there is something that prevents these guys from being QRV when there is SP propagation to USA I think so far, this dxpedition is not even close to be an exemplary one.

73 Dragan K0AP
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:41 AM »

Nice signal on 10 CW this morning, but I could not break the pile (+ the EU QRMers/contesters made it tough....... I see the Germans have joined the Italians in being jerkoffs on the air, just hopping on the freq and calling without asking if its busy or not Angry.).  Hopefully, they will continue to favor 10 meters in our mornings and I "should" have a better chance before they go QRT. Good operator and asking NA/SA this morning. Cheesy

73, Gene AF3Y
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »

The 15m SSB signal was booming this morning over the south pole. Got him on second call for an ATNO.
The 10m cw signal was quite weak here in the south on my 3ele yagi at 50ft  Smiley

Krish
w4vku
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »

The 15m SSB signal was booming this morning over the south pole. Got him on second call for an ATNO.
The 10m cw signal was quite weak here in the south on my 3ele yagi at 50ft  Smiley

Krish
w4vku

Same here in MA.  They were very weak on 10 and workable on 15 but not as strong as yesterday. 

I did manage to work P29VCX on 12 meter CW via long path which really surprised me since my Bencher Skyhawk is designed for 10, 15 and 20, and I need a Transmatch to load it up on other bands.  I also managed to work T6MO on 12 meter CW and he uses LoTW so that means a quick confirmation.

I'd love to see what the difference would be if I had a 3 element resonant beam on 12 and 17 to compare this Skyhawk to. I don't think it can be many dB down as I seem competitive with other nearby stations.

I was actually trying to get away from the contests (I put several hours into WAG yesterday) and it was very productive time.

Chris/NU1O
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

FYI - For those of you that were wondering about being in there log they're using clublog.  You have to do a log search instead of going to the expedition link.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

Yes 10m was weak but once I spotted his listening frequency he came right back. 15m was great and first call...I wish they could all be that easy.....

Mark N1UK
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: