Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XX9 now active  (Read 6402 times)
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »

Thats right Mark(N1UK). You have 5Ele on 10m band at 87ft. So you hear a lot better than the 3ele at my
Qth, which is lower by 20+ft.

Good job.
Krish
w4vku
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:43 AM »

Thats right Mark(N1UK). You have 5Ele on 10m band at 87ft. So you hear a lot better than the 3ele at my
Qth, which is lower by 20+ft.

Good job.
Krish
w4vku

Seems its gonna take a miracle for me to hear these guys.  I have not heard them loud enough yet to try to work em, I dont think.  Now, I am not spending the day at the radio either. Perhaps my timing is bad, but I see them spotted almost constantly but no luck here. The little wire vertical is just not getting it done. But that is all I have and all I can have, so I will keep trying.  73, Gene AF3Y
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:18 AM »

Gene,
 Good luck. 15m SSB signal was strong and is your best chance from the east coast.
 Forget about 10m.

Also, if needed for an ATNO, can you be the control operator in a buddy's shack(someone with
 better antennae)?

73s
krish
w4vku
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »

Good luck. 15m SSB signal was strong and is your best chance from the east coast.
 Forget about 10m.

Only way 10m will happen is on the morning long path. They were loud and workable on the east coast last week, but for a very short opening (no more than an hour). From NJ, I worked them S9 but 20 minutes later they were S3 at best.

Also, if needed for an ATNO, can you be the control operator in a buddy's shack(someone with better antennae)?

Certainly, provided the owner of the shack you plan to operate from agrees, and not all do. The only other caveat being that in a case like that, the guest control operator is restricted to his own privileges. If a General operates from an Extra's station using his own General call, he is restricted to the general bands, but if using he's friend's Extra-Class call, he can use Extra privileges.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »

I missed the really good opening on 10 SSB, but worked them easily the next morning on 10 CW--even though signals were much weaker.   Grin
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »

https://secure.clublog.org/logsearch/XX9THX

Online log search

I'm really surprised at the stuff I've been able to work with 3 elements at 50 feet--C50C was number 197 for Diamond DXCC!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:59:20 AM by W1VT » Logged
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »

Got home from work right at my local sunrise and immediately switched on the rig looking for T30PY on the low bands.  Saw XX9THX spotted on 7.021 and listened for him at what should have been my prime time for Asia and could hear nothing.  Admittedly the band noise was high, but I could detect no trace of a signal.  I listened for 10~15 minutes and he continued to be spotted, but nada here.  T30PY was on 7.024 and no problem copying/working him.  Darn, two band fills would have been nice.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »

I only need Macao for 3 band fills, but I have not heard them once on the Best Coast.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »

XX9E was far easier to work than this DX'pedition for some reason, at least for me. I've only managed to work this one on 15M so far, and they were almost at ESP level. But it seems that the East Coast is doing better this time around.

John K7KB
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »

Gene,
 Forget about 10m.

Also, if needed for an ATNO, can you be the control operator in a buddy's shack(someone with
 better antennae)?

73s
krish
w4vku

I don't know how some in this forum can criticize me for working Wake Island in the ANZA Net -- no helping with reports or call signs and it was not for an ATNO -- yet advocate working a country from somebody's bigger station. At least I worked Wake using my own equipment.

This is a giant loophole and I don't think it should exist.  Would it really be fair if guys who work at the ARRL use the League's station for working stations they can't work with their own stations?  That's what this amounts to.

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

Gene,
 Forget about 10m.

better antennae)?

73s
krish
w4vku

I don't know how some in this forum can criticize me for working Wake Island in the ANZA Net -- no helping with reports or call signs and it was not for an ATNO -- yet advocate working a country from somebody's bigger station. At least I worked Wake using my own equipment.

This is a giant loophole and I don't think it should exist.  Would it really be fair if guys who work at the ARRL use the League's station for working stations they can't work with their own stations?  That's what this amounts to.

Chris/NU1O

If you are hinting around about me...... I am NOT going to my neighbors house to work any DX. Period.

I go over there on occasion, just to see how the noise level, etc. is at his place, compared to mine, since he is pretty close. He works mostly digital and If I went over there to work his station, I would have to carry my key.. hi hi. NAH, I will wait.

EVENTUALLY, I will get the XX9 and Afghanistan as well.  I thought I would never get BHUTAN....... Its confirmed in my log.  I never thought I would get NEPAL....... its confirmed in my log. I never thought I would get Father Apollo, its confirmed in the log.  I never thought I would reach 300, I have 307 confirmed, in the log.

I dont have the setup I had in SC. I knew that was going to be the case when I moved here to Florida. But, if I live long enough, I will work these two AND OTHERS.

Will I grumble, growl, cry and whine when all you guys are working em, and I cant even hear em? More than likely. hi hi  But will I give up....... NAH, I am wayyyyy too stuborn.

73, Gene AF3Y
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »

As to XX9, they were killer-loud along the long path on 10m here this morning between 8:30 and 9:00am.

Weak here in eastern PA but managed to work them on 10 long path. Could not hear them short path.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

If you are hinting around about me...... I am NOT going to my neighbors house to work any DX. Period.
73, Gene AF3Y
Hi Gene,

I did not accuse you of doing that.

I recalled somebody (maybe more than one person) criticized my QSO with Wake Island on the ANZA Net but I no longer recall who it was and I was too lazy to search for the post so I was NOT hinting at anybody. I think I have written enough posts by now so that most regulars should know I am pretty blunt.  If I really meant you I would've mentioned you by name.

I do know my QSO with Wake which occurred during a net, but where both stations clearly copied each other, was criticized.  I just don't understand how a QSO with my own equipment and no help is ridiculed but using another ham's station is OK.

Can the person who criticized my QSO with Wake during the ANZA Net kindly tell me why my QSO was not OK (in their opinion) but using somebody's station is OK?  I'd really like to see an explanation.

I'm not sure if the ham who didn't approve of the net QSO is in favor of using someone's station to make a contact with a DX station their home equipment isn't capable of. Perhaps he is against both?

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »

73, Gene AF3Y
Hi Gene,

I did not accuse you of doing that.

I recalled somebody (maybe more than one person) criticized my QSO with Wake Island on the ANZA Net but I no longer recall who it was and I was too lazy to search for the post so I was NOT hinting at anybody. I think I have written enough posts by now so that most regulars should know I am pretty blunt.  If I really meant you I would've mentioned you by name.

I do know my QSO with Wake which occurred during a net, but where both stations clearly copied each other, was criticized.  I just don't understand how a QSO with my own equipment and no help is ridiculed but using another ham's station is OK.

Can the person who criticized my QSO with Wake during the ANZA Net kindly tell me why my QSO was not OK (in their opinion) but using somebody's station is OK?  I'd really like to see an explanation.

I'm not sure if the ham who didn't approve of the net QSO is in favor of using someone's station to make a contact with a DX station their home equipment isn't capable of. Perhaps he is against both?

Chris/NU1O

I think over the years, I have stated my dislike of using nets to work DX.  I dont have the time nor energy to go over it again. (Its been a long day Roll Eyes )I am certainly not the only one here who feels that way, but to each his own. I have never done it and will not, even with my POS station.

As stated above, I dont think using someone else's station/equipment to snag an ATNO for your station is not exactly right either.

I am not a fan of either method. But I dont write the rules. To each his/her own.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »

I am not a fan of either method. But I dont write the rules. To each his/her own.

73, Gene AF3Y

I agree.  We don't make the rules, we just follow them.

I honestly did not know you were against net QSOs but that's fine with me.  You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. 

In the post I started about a person's best DX catch I described my lousy station (Butternut vertical with few radials and 100 watts) when I first got on the air.  Since I was not capable of breaking ANY pileup I used to participate in the net run by Denny, GW3CDP, now a SK, every once in awhile.  It was a way to work some new ones and I'm not ashamed to admit I used it.  Once I put up a Quad and built a Heathkit amplifier I no longer needed the net.  At present the only country I worked in the net but never again outside a net was Togo. I think there is an operator going to Togo at the start of next year and I will work him.

I think nets have their place and I remember Denny was very strict. There was no constant guessing at the signal report and there were MANY times when he would tell a station to try again at a later date because the contact was not good. I also realize some nets virtually let a station keep guessing at the report and they really do help facilitate the QSO. In that case it's up to each individual as to whether that QSO should count for a new one, or not.

The only reason I chimed in was because I remembered the feedback about the net QSO and I could not see what the difference was between a net and using somebody's station.

I enjoy you posts, Gene, and I realize you are working under very difficult circumstances.

I hope this puts this issue to bed and there are no hard feelings.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: