Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XX9 now active  (Read 6179 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »

I am not a fan of either method. But I dont write the rules. To each his/her own.

73, Gene AF3Y

I agree.  We don't make the rules, we just follow them.

I honestly did not know you were against net QSOs but that's fine with me.  You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. 

In the post I started about a person's best DX catch I described my lousy station (Butternut vertical with few radials and 100 watts) when I first got on the air.  Since I was not capable of breaking ANY pileup I used to participate in the net run by Denny, GW3CDP, now a SK, every once in awhile.  It was a way to work some new ones and I'm not ashamed to admit I used it.  Once I put up a Quad and built a Heathkit amplifier I no longer needed the net.  At present the only country I worked in the net but never again outside a net was Togo. I think there is an operator going to Togo at the start of next year and I will work him.

I think nets have their place and I remember Denny was very strict. There was no constant guessing at the signal report and there were MANY times when he would tell a station to try again at a later date because the contact was not good. I also realize some nets virtually let a station keep guessing at the report and they really do help facilitate the QSO. In that case it's up to each individual as to whether that QSO should count for a new one, or not.

The only reason I chimed in was because I remembered the feedback about the net QSO and I could not see what the difference was between a net and using somebody's station.

I enjoy you posts, Gene, and I realize you are working under very difficult circumstances.

I hope this puts this issue to bed and there are no hard feelings.

Chris/NU1O

No hard feelings here Chris.....  BTW, you should be able to work Togo with no trouble.  Seems like it took me a while, as it was seldom "seriously" activated. I did work the Italian team 5V7TT in 2010 on a few bands, both CW and SSB (and I did not even use a net... hi hi) .
73, Gene AF3Y
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »

Chris: I'm also not shame to admit I used DX net's in my younger days as a DX'er, being restricted to a wire antenna with no amplifier. I use to work the Pacific DX Net with Jim Smith (SK), P29JS and VK9NS. Jim was a true gentleman and a top DX'er back then. I also participated in the Afrikaner DX net that allowed me to work a few good ones in Africa where I wouldn't have a chance if I had to fight the pileups. I don't use them now but I have no qualms about someone who needs a little help without fighting the masses.

John K7KB
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »

No hard feelings here Chris.....  BTW, you should be able to work Togo with no trouble.  Seems like it took me a while, as it was seldom "seriously" activated. I did work the Italian team 5V7TT in 2010 on a few bands, both CW and SSB (and I did not even use a net... hi hi) .
73, Gene AF3Y

Lack of activity is the problem with Togo.  It is an easy shot from here.

I did not know the Italian team visited Togo in 2010.  I got back on the air in November of 2010 so I must have missed them.  I did work them while in the Ivory Coast, Rep. of the Congo, and now Chad.

Now that I can break a pileup of two my net days are over, Gene.   Wink

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:43:38 PM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »

Chris: I'm also not shame to admit I used DX net's in my younger days as a DX'er, being restricted to a wire antenna with no amplifier. I use to work the Pacific DX Net with Jim Smith (SK), P29JS and VK9NS. Jim was a true gentleman and a top DX'er back then. I also participated in the Afrikaner DX net that allowed me to work a few good ones in Africa where I wouldn't have a chance if I had to fight the pileups. I don't use them now but I have no qualms about someone who needs a little help without fighting the masses.

John K7KB

Like I said, John, I do think nets have their place. Most of us started with simple stations and can recall what it was like when we could not break a pileup. It was damn frustrating! A net afforded one the opportunity to work a country that was otherwise not workable. I would not use one for a new one with the equipment I now have but I enjoyed the nets when I was just starting out.  When I'm up late I occasionally check into the ANZA net. I get to hand out Massachusetts to guys in VK, ZL, and various Pacific islands and that area has always been a favorite of mine.

I just wrote about Jim Smith the other day and I did check into his net several times.  He was a wonderful guy.

Chris/NU1O
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »

The members of this expedition are certainly taking advantage of conditions.  I worked them long path on 10 yesterday and on 15 meters today via the long path.  Many expeditions could learn from these guys.  I really didn't have high hopes of working these guys at all but I now have them on 2 bands in 2 days.  It helps that solar conditions have improved dramatically in the past week.

Chris/NU1O

Except the fact that you worked them twice I am not sure based on which other fact you think other dxpeditions could learn from this guys.There were nice LP openings but only for stations east of Mississippi river and the XX9 guys missed almost all SP openings to USA. I just saw they self spotted on 12m (EB5BBM), way too late for all but maybe few west coast stations. There is almost zero chance for anyone in W0 land to work them long path. Today I worked short path a bunch of JA's, DU, 9M6, 9V... etc with good signals on 12m, but XX9 was no show until too late. Unless there is something that prevents these guys from being QRV when there is SP propagation to USA I think so far, this dxpedition is not even close to be an exemplary one.

73 Dragan K0AP

Well, I guess I have to admit that I was somewhat wrong about this one. Yesterday morning as usual I grabbed my cup of coffee and sat by the radio. Of course, first thing to do is to check the cluster to see what's going on. There I see a spot for XX9THX on 28430 SSB and I said to myself, "yeah, yeah, east coast is having a long path feast again". I tuned on his frequency anyway, more out of curiosity than out of a hope that I can possibly hear anything (just like I couldn’t the previous days) but to my great surprise, there he was. Weak but readable. Could not believe it to my ears. Slammed the “power on” switch on my TL922 and all excided started tuning the amp. Luckily it is an instant on amplifier so did not have to wait for few minutes to warm up. So, I parked up 5 and started calling. I hear back, “K0A... 59”. To my even greater surprise he heard me first call or at least I thought he did. Since I did not hear the last letter "P" so I gave my call sign twice again and said “59 59 do you have my call correct, over?” Just when I went to RX I heard this 59 plus QRM from a nearby station. This station completely covered the XX9THX so I could not hear anything. Just 1 KC down a VE station has started calling CQ being  unaware that there is a long path battle going on between Kansas and Macau, hi! Once the VE station stopped transmitting I yelled at him to QSY. Luckily he wasn’t as rude as I was at that moment so he apologized and disappeared. So, tuned back to XX9 frequency. Now the dilemma, did he logged me, did he not. Did he may be logged K0AZ, or K0AD, or K0AV… !?. All these guys are active chasing DX too so it could have been one of them, not me.  So, I am still there and deciding whether to call again or not. XX9THX is now calling CQ and not very busy. So, I fired up my call sign again and this time I could clearly hear him saying my call sign. He did not say anything like “you are already in the log” but just gave me the report and the “roger, roger”. Oh boy, oh boy! The life has reminded me of the “Never say Never” lesson again. New band/mode country, new IOTA AS-075. A distance of 17500 miles long path Qso. Wow!.Today I checked the online log and I see I am in the log twice so they logged me the first time also. Better dupe Qso than sorry, hi! This was just another among many other examples of how great and amazing this hobby is. Setup here consists of 2el Hex beam at 40 feet and 700-800W.

73 Dragan K0AP
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »

Congratulations Dragon on persevering through the interference and getting contact!

I've now worked them on 10 and 12 CW, and 15 SSB--it sure helps to have great operators on the other end!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »

Well, I guess I have to admit that I was somewhat wrong about this one. Yesterday morning as usual I grabbed my cup of coffee and sat by the radio. Of course, first thing to do is to check the cluster to see what's going on. There I see a spot for XX9THX on 28430 SSB and I said to myself, "yeah, yeah, east coast is having a long path feast again". I tuned on his frequency anyway, more out of curiosity than out of a hope that I can possibly hear anything (just like I couldn’t the previous days) but to my great surprise, there he was. Weak but readable. Could not believe it to my ears. Slammed the “power on” switch on my TL922 and all excided started tuning the amp. Luckily it is an instant on amplifier so did not have to wait for few minutes to warm up. So, I parked up 5 and started calling. I hear back, “K0A... 59”. To my even greater surprise he heard me first call or at least I thought he did. Since I did not hear the last letter "P" so I gave my call sign twice again and said “59 59 do you have my call correct, over?” Just when I went to RX I heard this 59 plus QRM from a nearby station. This station completely covered the XX9THX so I could not hear anything. Just 1 KC down a VE station has started calling CQ being  unaware that there is a long path battle going on between Kansas and Macau, hi! Once the VE station stopped transmitting I yelled at him to QSY. Luckily he wasn’t as rude as I was at that moment so he apologized and disappeared. So, tuned back to XX9 frequency. Now the dilemma, did he logged me, did he not. Did he may be logged K0AZ, or K0AD, or K0AV… !?. All these guys are active chasing DX too so it could have been one of them, not me.  So, I am still there and deciding whether to call again or not. XX9THX is now calling CQ and not very busy. So, I fired up my call sign again and this time I could clearly hear him saying my call sign. He did not say anything like “you are already in the log” but just gave me the report and the “roger, roger”. Oh boy, oh boy! The life has reminded me of the “Never say Never” lesson again. New band/mode country, new IOTA AS-075. A distance of 17500 miles long path Qso. Wow!.Today I checked the online log and I see I am in the log twice so they logged me the first time also. Better dupe Qso than sorry, hi! This was just another among many other examples of how great and amazing this hobby is. Setup here consists of 2el Hex beam at 40 feet and 700-800W.

73 Dragan K0AP
Dragan,

I am glad to read you have worked them and that's a very nice long path QSO to MO. 

Congratulations!

I checked on them a few other days after my contacts and they were still doing their thing working the US via LP in our morning. 

They are very good operators and will give Macao to a large number of US hams when they are finished.  As I said in my original post I really did not expect to work them but I was not counting on long path on 10 (and 15) as their way of working the US.  It's nice Ole Sol decided to help out.  The recent jump in solar flux was a huge help.

Chris/NU1O

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 05:52:59 AM »

There is hope for little pistols!

I just worked em on 15 meters using a 100' ladder line-fed dipole up 50' with 400 watts at 1220 UTC. No idea where the lobes of this antenna point! They came right back to me after 5 minutes of calling. Now the painful wait for online log.

They must be hearing me MUCH better than I am hearing them. They were WEAK and very wattery. If you lil pistols can HEAR them, it is likely they are hearing you.

paul
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »

Congratulations Paul, that was a real accomplishment.  Prop had his signal distorted terribly or at least I hope it was propagation.
Randy
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

Congratulations Paul!  Ur in the log!

Amazingly, I've worked them on 4 bands!  Grin
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »

Wow, thanks for the great news. One QSO is good enough for me, I am done. That's one less signal to worry about!

Paul
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »

I have yet to hear them here. I have a dipole up 60-70 feet, I just don't think I have been on at the right time. I will be working from home tomorrow so I hope maybe I'll have a chance to hear them.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:48 AM »

It sure helps that I'm an early morning person.  I get a lot of DX while folks are still sleeping Wink
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 03:39:28 AM »

It sure helps that I'm an early morning person.  I get a lot of DX while folks are still sleeping Wink

I used to be primarily a night owl but you work many more rare ones at sunrise.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »

They were VERY strong on 15 SSB this morning before 1130z (Not that it did me any good.......).  They got weaker as I looked for the mic. Angry

73 Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: