Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-464 PTT out to FT-817  (Read 1147 times)
WF7BSR

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »

Has anyone hooked-up a MFJ-464 to a Yaesu FT-817?  Do I need to attach both the "Key-Out" cable to the "Key-In" on the radio AND the PTT Out to the radio?  If I have to have a cable from the "PTT Out" on the MFJ-464 to the radio, would it go to the Mic. plug on the radio or to the data-in plug on the radio?

I'm brand new to all things HAM, so bear with me if it's a question that should be obvious. 

The manual for the FT-817 says: "DATA Jack - This 6-pin, mini DIN jack accepts AFSK input from a Terminal Node Controller (TNC); it also provides fixed-level Receiver Audio Output, Push-To-Talk (PTT), Squelch Status, and ground lines." That's why I thought I need to attach a cable from the MFJ-464's PTT Out to the Data Jack on the radio, in addition to the line from Key Out on MFJ-464 to the radio's Key-In.

I already have the cable to go from radio to Radio-In on the MFJ-464, and the cable from serial port on MFJ-464 to computer and for the keyboard, and from KeyOut on MFJ-464 to KeyIn on the radio...but if I also need to go from PTT Out on MFJ-464 to the radio -- is there a pre-made cable that has RCA male on one end, going to 6-pin mini DIN male on the other?

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
W1FBV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

I have one of these, but I only use it to key my rig.  To key your rig, all you need to connect is the key out on the 464 to the key jack on your rig.  No PTT.  Functions just like a hand key.

73,  Jim W1FBV 
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »

Thank you very much for the information.

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond- WF7BSR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: