Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LifePo Lithium Energy battery  (Read 2147 times)
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

Does anyone have any info, or thoughts on the new batteries?  I found a potential source here.

http://store.starkpower.com/12V-Energy-Storage-Batteries-_c_21.html

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated..
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »

Lithium batteries are not very well suited for cold temperatures. Charging requires a special technique as overcharging is critical.
At the prices from your link I'd stick to the good old lead batteries.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »

Lithium batteries are not very well suited for cold temperatures. Charging requires a special technique as overcharging is critical.
At the prices from your link I'd stick to the good old lead batteries.

Not sure were you get Lithium, batteries are terrible for low temps. The are recommended for remote weather sensors when temp falls below zero a lot. I use them in mine. Given that you get 5 to 6x as much energy per lb vs lead acid why stay with lead acid for portable? Also they are good for several hundred cycles at full capacity and not so with lead acid.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:16:27 AM »

These new generation of  lithium batteries are pretty much idiot proof with internal protection circuits,,

This model that you're looking at states,,,
StarkPower “UltraEnergy” Models have a Battery Management System (BMS). BMS monitors the key operational parameters during charging and discharging such as voltages, currents and internal temperatures.

And goes on to state it's a direct drop in replacement for lead acid uses.
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

Thanks everyone!  I have a 19in go kit for ares/races that has all my gear in it, and wanted to keep the lbs to a minimum, and max charging capabilities.  Thanks everyone for your insight and replys!
 Cheesy
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

These Lithium batteries looks great and weight 1/5 what a lead-acid battery does. They are specified to operate down to -22 deg F. They spec sheet lists lead-acid as operating down to only -4 deg F.

It says they are drop-in replacements for lead-acid but they point out that trickle charge lead-acid chargers will damage them over time. They recommend using a Smart Charger that stops charging after a period of time.
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »

Do you think a Super Powergate 40S Backup Power Switching and Charging System would be ok to always leave on?  I was going to get this charging system so I didn't loose power during operation, and recharging.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »

Quote from: KA4POL
Lithium batteries are not very well suited for cold temperatures.
The batteries referenced are rated for Operating Temperatures of: -22°F to +140°F, (-30°C to +60°C)
Quote from: KJ6CZS
Do you think a Super Powergate 40S Backup Power Switching and Charging System would be ok to always leave on?  I was going to get this charging system so I didn't loose power during operation, and recharging.
Steve -

I use the West Mountain Radio PowerGate solution with a Lead-Acid Gel Cell.

PowerGate is optimized for use with GELLED & AGM type batteries,
 but will keep flooded lead acid and marine type batteries near full charge as well.

You should call West Mountain about proper usage (charging) of those Lithium cells with the PowerGate.  

The StarkPower “UltraEnergy” Models have a Battery Management System (BMS).
BMS monitors the key operational parameters during charging and discharging such as voltages, currents and internal temperatures.
==
For a RAW lithium metal battery, not best solution (PowerGate is NOT a SmartCharger) unless battery pack has its own battery management solution (BMS).
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pg40s
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:24:46 AM by W9GB » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »

The Lithium battery info says do not leave the charging current on. So, the West Mountain charger doesn't seem like the thing to use.
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »

Seems to not be an option.  Here is the verbage from the vendor:

This message is a reply to CCS e-mail id: 2J7664

I think the answer is no. Our charger uses a lead acid charge algorithm with 4 stages.
One of the stages is to trickle charge a fully charged battery. If I understand the data
sheet for your battery right they do not want to use chargers that trickle charge.

NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »

I use 2 x 3 cell 18500 Li-ion from batteryspace.com in Elecraft K2. The batteries came with a protection chip. I charge them via a 1A 12.6V regulator. They do well now for over 5 years. In the meantime I threw away many NiMH batteries.

For Elecraft KX3, which needs higher voltage, I use 4 cell 18500 battery. I added a connector with 2 diodes so that 16.8V max at the battery becomes 15.2 V max at KX3. Seems to work well although no long term experience yet.

Li-FePO3 are usually almost twice as heavy as regular Li-Ion but they have the right voltage without any diodes. For IC7000, I use 12.8 V 20AH LiFePO3 for IC7000. Costs $120 at battery space. No chip. Charging with regular 13.8V supply set so that the voltage does not  exceed 14.6V and the current does not to exceed 20Ah. So far it works for about a year.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: