Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What were the 10 biggest DX surprise activations for you?  (Read 3036 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »

For me, it was P5/4L4FN, and it was shockingly easy to work on two bands.

followed by (just in the order that I can remember them):

7O6T
D60VB and E40VB - by Vlad, UA4WHX
3Y0X
The KP5 activation by Kam and Dave (using their home calls)
ZS8M
HK0NA
Z81D
K7C

In some cases they were just a surprise that the entity would be activated at all, and the others were a huge surprise because in several cases I had missed other DX-peditions to that entity, but then "quietly" - without too much fan fare - making me wonder why I made a big deal about missing them in the first place. Several I missed twice before finally getting that entity - like ZS8M and E40VB.

IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »

ONLY 1 SURPRISE FOR ME
The 21 april 1999
P51BH in 21 Mhz before go to the work ,
I was incredulous to 12 months until I got the card ,
a year after i got the qsl ,
the qsl is on my page on qrz.com
Tony , IK0OZD

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »

5A7A, 7O6T & HK0NA.

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

Monstly the same bunch for me, especially. Vlad Bykov's tour of rare African entities in 05-06, 7O6T, Kam & Dave's Desecheo activation and Petrus, 3Y0E on Bouvet.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »

The only one that has really been a surprise to me was 7O6T to be quite honest. The rest of them I had some advance warning.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »

Working ZS2MI, Marion Island, at 3 AM one morning on 20 meters in 1972. It was my night to change my daughters diaper, so I have her to thank for the rare Q!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »

FW1W on Wallis and Futuna in August 2008.  At that time I was only barefoot into a G5RV at 30 feet.  I managed to work him on 17 meters.  Probably my biggest brag other than JY1 many years ago.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »

I would like to look at this from a different point of view. As a DX'er that just got back into the hobby about 3 years ago, there were a lot of surprise activations for me personally. Before I left the hobby on my hiatus, I never thought I would be able to work Albania, China, or Mongolia. Now you can probably finds spots for those almost daily. The thing that gets me now is that it becomes a real surprise when one of our own US possessions is activated like Johnston, Midway, Kure, etc., when at that time it was almost commonplace. I guess that is the hardest to accept.

Really the only surprise in the past 3 years was the 7O6T operation. I don't think any of us saw that one coming Smiley

John K7KB
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »

ONLY 1 SURPRISE FOR ME
The 21 april 1999
Tony , IK0OZD

From what I read, Martti only made 263 QSO's in his demonstration of Amateur Radio in the DPRK and you were one of them? If they had lottery tickets back in those days, I hope you went out and bought one  Grin

John K7KB
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »

...........The thing that gets me now is that it becomes a real surprise when one of our own US possessions is activated like Johnston, Midway, Kure, etc., when at that time it was almost commonplace.......John K7KB

I looked back in my log and I worked all of those (plus Canton, Kingman Reef, Palmyra, Navassa Island and my favorite, Tom Christian, VR6TC on Pitcairn Island) within a three year period from 1972 to 1975. No linear (could not afford one as they were expensive even then), 100 watts/TH3, all on SSB, no spotting networks (except DX Newsletters that arrived in the mail usually after the dxpedition  Sad ) and for sure, no Internet.

No I am lost when www.qrz.com goes down!  Grin Grin

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »

ONLY 1 SURPRISE FOR ME
The 21 april 1999
Tony , IK0OZD

From what I read, Martti only made 263 QSO's in his demonstration of Amateur Radio in the DPRK and you were one of them? If they had lottery tickets back in those days, I hope you went out and bought one  Grin

John K7KB

Good morning John
good morning usa
Maybe 56 contact in all europe , 4 is maccheroni station ,

my winning the lottery was to have a beautiful family,
You can see on qrz.com
gl in dx
Tony , IK0OZD
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:29 AM »

7O6T was the biggest surprise. Working them was the second biggest.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »

I haven't been in the game very long but even I knew what a big deal 7O was.

Getting them on two bands with my capgun station was thrilling. After my first QSO I literally started jumping up and down in the shack and ran into the living room to brag to my wife, who thought it was very quaint.

ex W4HFK
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »

I haven't been in the game very long but even I knew what a big deal 7O was.

Getting them on two bands with my capgun station was thrilling. After my first QSO I literally started jumping up and down in the shack and ran into the living room to brag to my wife, who thought it was very quaint.

7O was a surprise and a blast to me too.   I managed to work them for ATNO.
I know about the XYL response too,  I went charging in to the dining room and exclaimed that I had just worked Afghanastan to my wife sitting there reading the paper.   She said in a monotone voice "thats great bob" didnt
even look up from the paper.   Grin Grin

Bob
K6UJ

K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

This is an addendum to my last posting.  I must say that working T6LG in Afghanastan was a big surprise for me. Not necessarily a surprise activation but the condx were a welcome surprise.   I have been chasing T6 for
some time now for ATNO, heard T6MO occasionally very weak, never
was able to contact.  Then two days ago there was T6LG on 20CW really banging in !  Condx were super. I made a contact after about 5 minutes of trying.  yahooooo  Grin

Bob
K6UJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: