Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What were the 10 biggest DX surprise activations for you?  (Read 3203 times)
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

7O6T was a real surprise (shock?) but years earlier I was tuning 20ssb late at night; there wasn't much on but I came across a YL operator who was in QSO and said that her QTH was the Laccadive Islands. I thought I was hearing things but it was indeed the XYL of VU7CVP/VU2CVP who was accompanying a scientific expedition to VU7; it was not at all a DXpedition but they were there simply to provide communications assistance.

When she finished with her QSO I called, never figuring that she would hear me but she did. They only worked a handful of non-VU stations while there and I never did work VU7 again until the 2006/2007 VU7LD operation.

In this game you never know what will turn up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:32:49 AM by W2LO » Logged
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

I like this question.
 Mine was P5/4L4FN Ed on rtty. Heard him and 2 calls. He is also my biggest miss on 10m ssb.Just got home and turn the radio on  and was a true 5x5 here and you guessed it QRT.
 But others where ZS8IR.Couldnt sleep.Got up and turned radio on at 08 utc and heard him 59 and 1 call and back to bed. Didnt sleep the rest of the night.
 Others where noted in other replies KP5/ ,ZS8M,VK0 heard isl on 40  with a R7 and 100 watts and many on 80 and 160.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »

The same thing happened with me also Bob. I kept trying to hear Afghanistan strong enough for a QSO but they always seemed to be below ESP levels until just a few days ago and then BANG, there they were with strong signals for the first time I had been chasing them. Now if the same thing would happen with some stations in Iraq, I would be happy Smiley

John K7KB
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »

In this game you never know what will turn up.

There are days when conditions are poor that I don't feel like turning on the rig but the surprise element is a big part of the hobby.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »

I really don't see how anything can compare to the 7O6T operation.  I think that will be the measuring stick for years to come.

Working the guys in Tibet, BY1WXD/0, was a nice surprise but simply not on the same scale as 7O6T.

Chris/NU1O
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »

7O6T was the biggest surprise. Working them was the second biggest.

Agreed.

V
KA3NRX

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »

Now if the same thing would happen with some stations in Iraq, I would be happy Smiley

John K7KB

One of these days you are going to run into Razi, YI1RZ, and your Iraq drought will be over.  He's a very nice guy and very active.  He uses LoTW so QSLing is fast and easy.

Chris/NU1O
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »

I am going with BY1PK.
That was a huge huge deal for DXers and a pivotal moment for amateur radio in China. Pretty much taken for granted now.
Maybe you had to be there in the pileups back then.
The P5 was a big surprise too but had an outcome that perhaps wasn't. Too bad. Maybe someday...
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »

Very nice stories on this thread.  My favorite QSO and QSL card came from KC4AAA the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station.  I was a new ham then.  When I tell people that I'm a ham the very first question they ask me is what is the farthest station I've worked.  I would pull out my South Pole QSL card.  Another bonus that comes along with KC4AAA is that it's good for seven CQ zones, as these seven zones all converge at the south pole.  The operator that I worked is Andy WA2DKJ and he personally signed my card.

Jonathan W6GX
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 02:38:49 AM »

Another bonus that comes along with KC4AAA is that it's good for seven CQ zones

Too bad Z26 isn't one of them! Sad   Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:25 AM »

I have three that required me to put up (or tweak) antennas specifically to work a particular DX station. This is back when I was only using wire antennas, and when I realized I needed more gain, better TOA or both.

ZW0S was on Peter and Paul rocks - and it was late afternoon - I think in the Fall of that year. My 88' doublet at 35' wasn't cutting the mustard - or getting me through the East Coast Wall. It was not oriented the right direction - in fact - I was trying to work him off the end of the doublet.

So I quickly built a 20M Half Square - pointed right at him and worked him - on 20M, and I believe 15M. I remember the pileups were fierce.

ZS8M. I had put up a 2 element Bruce Array - which had the same characteristics as a 40M half square. I hadn't heard Pierre for 6 months, but it was the autumnal equinox - and conditions were "special". His signal "marched" across the US - and rather quickly - within 40 minutes or so during what was the late West Coast grey line. I heard East, Central, Ricky Mountain states work him - and then all of a sudden, this really weak signal - and with his accent - and "deliberate" voice, I was only 1 of 3 calling him on the West Coast. Each of us got the "Q", and I then did my victory dance.

P5/4L4FN was the biggest surprise due to its rarity, but 7O6T by far was the actual biggest surprise - because they announced only 1 month before they hit the air waves - I was saying to myself "gulp, do I have the antenna(s) for this?". Turns out I did - but in a desperation pitch - and after not getting through the nightly West Coast openings, I took my nested 17/12M Moxon and turned it vertical to try to get a lower TOA. Well - that late afternoon - BINGO! I worked Paul, N6PSE, and he remarked that my signal was the weakest of all - but we both agreed - I was in the log, and that's all that mattered. I don't know if turning the antenna helped - because by doing that I went from 4.1 dBd to 0 dBd but dropped the TOA by 5 degrees. It was probably just the conditions - Paul said they were the best he had experienced to the West Coast. I just got really lucky.

Green Flash "Palate Wrecker" was the beer that was enjoyed after that one!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:58:06 AM by KY6R » Logged
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:03 AM »

a surprise is a surprise when it's not expected,
How can be a surprise 7o6t?
the expedition was announced long ago
surprise is when you turn on the radio and find a station that you weren't expecting,
sorry that's just my humble opinion,
7o6t is beautiful dxpedition new one or not
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 05:26:33 AM »

a surprise is a surprise when it's not expected,
How can be a surprise 7o6t?
the expedition was announced long ago
surprise is when you turn on the radio and find a station that you weren't expecting,
sorry that's just my humble opinion,
7o6t is beautiful dxpedition new one or not

Hi Tony,

I think many are calling it the biggest surprise because the advance notice was very short.  Many big DXpeditions are announced a year or more before the expedition.  For example, the Heard Island expedition has already been announced and it will not take place until 2014.  That can not be called a surprise. 7O6T was done with only a short notice ahead of the expedition.

Ciao,

Chris/NU1O
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »

Back in 1999 or so I was tuning around on 15 CW and heard a CW, it was 5A1A who really surprised me since I didn't know Libya was active then. Didn't work it that time, but did get 5A1A eventually on 20, 15 and 10m.

I agree that the 7O6T was a surprise since we only had a few days notice before they hit the airways.

In this day of the internet and email, do you think we will ever have a complete surprise DXpedition again to an uninhabited area?  One where there is no advanced notice, they just get on and hit the airways.

John AF5CC
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »

Yes, 7O6T was announced only a day or two before being active as the team was enroute to Yemen.  A very well kept secret!   That helped the team arrive without any problems from bad guys.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: