Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Afghanistan -- Finally !!  (Read 6057 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »

Tried for almost 2 hrs tonite on 20 cw, but no joy.  Not his fault, he was LOUD, and I mean loud.  I just never could find the right freq, so I finally picked one and camped out, but......... Nope........ Maybe next time. 
73 Gene AF3Y
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »

I've needed Afghanistan for an ATNO and to complete my "stans".

For me, copy on the few servicemen active from Afghanistan has been weak or non-existent
until T6LG who is now QRV from Kandahar with an amp and a Spider beam.

For the past week Ilian, T6LG has been putting out a terrific CW signal to the Left Coast,
and on a very predictable schedule.

Of course the pile-ups have been very large as well....but at least this time I was finally hearing a station
from Afghanistan.

T6LG had been QRV on 20M CW everyday this week at 14.015.00 and listening up abt 1.5 beginning
around 01:30 UTC.  My strategy was to stalk this DX and try to catch him before the spots
got posted and the EU's and East Coast guys really jumped in.  I figured that I had a 3-5 minute window
if I could catch him just as he went on the air.

Last night I was ready for my "stalk"..beam set, RX / TX split all set.  I got distracted for a few minutes
listening around on 17M and when I returned to 20M there was T6LG working simplex with a growing CW pile-up.

I called a few times with no luck but as soon as he sent "up" after an ID I hit the split button and called again...
it only took three attempts to put this one in the log.

BTW, Ilian has been really good at calling for NA when he is QRV and he posts an updated log daily with
regular LOTW uploads as well...what a great Op.

Here's a real good chance if you need this one.

gl de harry, W6DXO

Thats great Harry ! I also worked him on 20CW, his signal was very good.
I have been trying to work T6MO for some time now, he is in the military
and stationed there.  I heard him several evenings on 20CW 559 and tried but didn't make it.  I think we have conditions to thank for our T6LG success, that plus his op skill, very good CW op. He has been remarkably strong the last few days on 20CW.  This is an ATNO for me also.   You gotta love the bands lately !

Bob
K6UJ

KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

Tried for almost 2 hrs tonite on 20 cw, but no joy.  Not his fault, he was LOUD, and I mean loud.  I just never could find the right freq, so I finally picked one and camped out, but......... Nope........ Maybe next time. 
73 Gene AF3Y

Well.. I found his QSX at least 5 dozen times and STILL failed.  But he has never been loud at my house. Tongue I think I have spent probably 4 days, 2 hours a day on this one. I am still hopeful!

K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:49 AM »

...  This morning on 10M worked my first Afghanistan - it was Eric, T6MO at the key - # 331.
73, Rich, K3VAT

Rich, I thought I heard him work you.   I have been trying to work him for around a week or so now, but his signal is so weak on my vertical that everyone else has to stop transmitting (FAT chance.......) for me to hear him.  I actually though I worked him a couple times, and again this morning, but so far, NIL. I will just keep on keeping on. He was actually loud enough to work for me this morning, but working simplex reminds me of the statement I made here a while ago........ to be a successful DXer you have to be RUDE and a BULLY.  I still think that......

I will get Afghanistan eventually.......  73, Gene AF3Y

Thanks Gene, appreciate the note.  Using the vertical for 10M - 15M may be quite difficult, BUT definitely doable.  Yes, you will eventually work one of the T6 guys. 

My experience is that a successful DX'er (my role model is ON4UN) is technically savy, studies the operating habits/patterns of the DX stations, and anticipates when they will be one.  Of course this may require you to spend countless hours listening to static. Having a nice station (directional antennas and radios) is very important too.  I think this mantra is even more important in today's world of instant DXClusters.  The DX comes on a few folks work them, then someone spots him and all hell breaks lose.  W2IRT mentioned this in one of his posts just this past week.  Really, there is no need to be rude and bullying doesn't help.  Most would agree that the most laid back operators are the Japanese would exhibit the epitome of patience and discipline, yet many are on the top of the Honor Roll. 

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

tried since about 0200. he was up to about 4x4, now into the noise for me. found qsx many times. no qso. I think he hates me :-(
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

If it is T6LG you are trying for, try sending him an e-mail and set up a sked when you were hearing him the loudest.

I have conversed over e-mail with him getting QSL info and he responds very quick via e-mail.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

If it is T6LG you are trying for, try sending him an e-mail and set up a sked when you were hearing him the loudest.

I have conversed over e-mail with him getting QSL info and he responds very quick via e-mail.

Go for it Ben !    FYI, I emailed T6MO and asked about the possibilty of a sched
and he responded, said he doesnt do scheds, but gave me an idea of his usual operating times.  Anyway, this sounds like you may have better results with T6LG for a sched. Good luck !

Bob
K6UJ
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »

Another hint. Look at

www.dxsummit.fi/Search.aspx

and see what times he has been contacting stations in your area. Search back 100 or 1000 spots to get a good history.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

He's been on about the same time and freq for a week now. It's not a problem to find him. I'm often one of the first peoples calling him but I never hear him well. I can make out his call, and my call if he keyed it just fine.. the rest.. not so much. I also always find him working everyone very close, or right over me. If he has some noise issues, I doubt he is hearing me at all especially with all the people saying "he's 599+, worked him on my attic dipole" etc and I barely hear him.

I have some decent sized mountains on all sides, I am sure they are blocking from 0 - 8 degrees or so, which is not helping.

I'm not giving up anytime soon. I want my number 267! But as you know it sucks to call some one 2 hours a day, for a week, with nothing to show. Also noticed my 20m output is going down.. So i think me tubes are dying, and they are only 30 years old!  Tongue
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »

My one and only Afghanistan contact was with T6TJ on 17m PSK31.  This was back in August this year.  I already have it confirmed with a nice card from him.  It appears he was just recently licensed as T6TJ in July this year.  GL to those who are looking for a T6.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »

I have still been unable to work the T6LG. Obviously, he is having problems hearing, as noted.  Last nite seem worse, as he was taking a lot of time for each QSO. The T6MO seems out of the question, as a whisper is the best I have heard him. Hopefully, T6LG will continue to have his big signal, and sooner or later, I will get lucky and get the ATNO from T6. (Hopefully, sooner Roll Eyes )

Why Not Arange a sked? Ha........ the day that any of you hear me working a sked, or working a net for DX, you can assure yourself that someone is using my call besides me.  I will call til hell freezes over with my crappy wire antenna, but work a net? Make a sked? Not in a thousand years.  I would NEVER put that kind of QSO in my DXCC totals.  You wanta do it? Go for it, if that satisfies you, then thats the thing for you to do, let someone else HELP you get your QSO.

GL and 73, Gene AF3Y
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »

Finally........ Nailed him on 15 meters this morning. (#309, I think)  AND........ guess what???  NO sked.
I caught him when he just started on 21.013 and worked him SIMPLEX! He went split a couple calls later.

Actually, since he has already worked 2/3 of the hams in the world that needed him Roll Eyes, he was bound to hear me sooner or later. hi hi  Made it a little easier, I guess.

IF there is anyone who still needs him......... GL/73, Gene AF3Y
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »

How fun, I am happy for you!!

paul
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

Good news on finally snagging him!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »

Maybe I can make it in there now that Gene has had his fill!

I was looking forward to working him before someone 2,200 miles closer did, but oh well!

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: