Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Afghanistan -- Finally !!  (Read 6847 times)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »

Maybe I can make it in there now that Gene has had his fill!

I was looking forward to working him before someone 2,200 miles closer did, but oh well!

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin

He was on again last night on 20 meters. I listened to him for about 20 minutes or so hoping to hear your call Smiley He has had probably one of the best signals coming out of Afghanistan so far, so I think your persistence will eventually pay off. Do you have a amp Ben, or are you running barefoot?

John K7KB
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

I was looking forward to working him before someone 2,200 miles closer did, but oh well!

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin
Do a search of his spots and try to camp out there BEFORE he gets there! With such a nice signal into the US the pile-ups get huge FAST!

paul
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin

I think it goes without saying that you now have the FULL AND COMPLETE backing, cooperation and assistance of the group to go get the T6.
I mean, after all, if I can do it, anyone can do it Cool.  (I think......... Huh)
I promise to be vewy vewy quiet and not tune up on freq or send on the DX transmit freq or any of that nasty LID stuff. hi
GL, it's your turn!  73, Gene AF3Y
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin

He was on again last night on 20 meters. I listened to him for about 20 minutes or so hoping to hear your call Smiley He has had probably one of the best signals coming out of Afghanistan so far, so I think your persistence will eventually pay off. Do you have a amp Ben, or are you running barefoot?

John K7KB

I heard him pretty "ok" 4x3 maybe then fading by 0300. Called him from about 01:40 when I got home untill he left. No QSO! I do have an amp, a Henry 3k-A and I get about 1200w output on 20m cw.

I have an amp, a yagi, and a ts-590.. I can barely hear him ,and bet he barely hears me! It's sad.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:13:14 AM by KF6ABU » Logged
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

Tongue  Cheesy   Grin
Do a search of his spots and try to camp out there BEFORE he gets there! With such a nice signal into the US the pile-ups get huge FAST!

paul

I am almost always there before him. I am waiting for him. I know where he is everyday. That's not the problem. The problem is I barely hear him, and he has big QRM at his location. So he is not hearing me well.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

I added some pictures that show the sort of bowl im in on http://qrz.com/db/kf6abu . I have a pretty ok station, its just a matter of time. I worked 266 dx entities in the last 2.5 years most of that with a vertical and 100w. Thats at least pretty ok, station much better now.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

I added some pictures that show the sort of bowl im in on http://qrz.com/db/kf6abu . I have a pretty ok station, its just a matter of time. I worked 266 dx entities in the last 2.5 years most of that with a vertical and 100w. Thats at least pretty ok, station much better now.

Ben,
You're doing great ! Is that a triband yagi you are using now ?  With that yagi you should really have fun.
I'm guessing that counting the height of the building, and the height of the hill the building is located on, the yagi is about 60 feet or so from the surrounding terrain.
Very nice. 

Bob
K6UJ
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »

Ben,
You're doing great ! Is that a triband yagi you are using now ?  With that yagi you should really have fun.
I'm guessing that counting the height of the building, and the height of the hill the building is located on, the yagi is about 60 feet or so from the surrounding terrain.
Very nice. 

Bob
K6UJ

Its a hygain th5-dx. its a little over 60ft from the asphalt below - the top of the hill, which is about 30ft above the surroundings. To the south the drop off is about 30ft out from my antenna, the other directions a little more. 

I think the T6 is ignoring me. He has to hear me. I must have done something to make him mad. I heard him about 56 today. He would come back to someone on my tx freq, then i would call.. then he would call cq. a couple times there were not any other callers, but he didnt answer me. He also came back to someone less then 50 miles to me using 100w and a dipole at 40ft. I have a 4el yagi at 60ft, and 1200w. We were about 30hz apart.

I bet if I try with a different call, he will right come back to it! Maybe the times that I could barely hear him he was calling someone else and I QRM'd him and black listed myself. Sucky.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:28:32 PM by KF6ABU » Logged
K2ACB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

I worked T6LG the other day on 15 meter CW, His signal was quite strong here in the NYC area, I looked him up on QRZ.com and saw he was using a spider beam from a military base. I do not know if he was using an amplifier.

What I would like to know is to the best of my knowledge why after all these years with NATO and other forces in Afghanistan the T6LG station is the first or perhaps one of the very few radio amateur stations that is using a beam antenna. It might be only a small and light weight spider beam but that antenna generally is much better than a dipole or vertical for DX work,especially for long haul DX.

Was this because in general it has been very difficult for radio amateurs who are with NATO or other foreign armed forces or even diplomatic personnel to get a radio amateur license in Afghanistan?  If they did get a Radio Amateur license in Afghanistan did  the local authoritiies and/or the military authorities make it very difficult for radio amatuers who did get a license to operate from T6 to use directional antennas even like a  light weight spider beam and said they could only use a vertical or dipoles.

I am curious about this and wonder if anyone has an input to this question?

Alan-K2ACB
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »

Its a hygain th5-dx. its a little over 60ft from the asphalt below - the top of the hill, which is about 30ft above the surroundings. To the south the drop off is about 30ft out from my antenna, the other directions a little more. 

I think the T6 is ignoring me. He has to hear me. I must have done something to make him mad. I heard him about 56 today. He would come back to someone on my tx freq, then i would call.. then he would call cq. a couple times there were not any other callers, but he didnt answer me. He also came back to someone less then 50 miles to me using 100w and a dipole at 40ft. I have a 4el yagi at 60ft, and 1200w. We were about 30hz apart.

I bet if I try with a different call, he will right come back to it! Maybe the times that I could barely hear him he was calling someone else and I QRM'd him and black listed myself. Sucky.
[/quote]

I doubt that he is ignoring you.   Sometimes it seems that way, but we dont know what he is hearing on that end.  There are plenty of stations calling him that we cant hear.  It may seem that there are only one or two on your transmit freq with you but from his end it is probably a different story.  Thats one of the things that make DXing challenging, finding our way thru and making the contact.  Hang in there and you will make it.  When they are working split I seldom call him on the freq of his last contact.  I will move up (or down) a little and call him.  Typically there is a bunch that pounce on the last contact freq used and the DX station will listen up (or down) a tad for another caller away from the hornets nest.  After you listen awhile and note his habits you can plan your strategy.  I predict you will be doing the ATNO victory dance very soon.   Grin Grin

Bob
K6UJ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:03 AM »

I am almost always there before him. I am waiting for him. I know where he is everyday. That's not the problem. The problem is I barely hear him, and he has big QRM at his location. So he is not hearing me well.

I hope only hams read these messages because it sounds like you are hunting an animal or stalking somebody.  Wink

Which, when we boil it right down, you are!

Happy hunting.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:54 AM »

What I would like to know is to the best of my knowledge why after all these years with NATO and other forces in Afghanistan the T6LG station is the first or perhaps one of the very few radio amateur stations that is using a beam antenna. It might be only a small and light weight spider beam but that antenna generally is much better than a dipole or vertical for DX work,especially for long haul DX.

I am curious about this and wonder if anyone has an input to this question?

Alan-K2ACB

I do not have a definitive answer but the spider beam surprised me, as well.  He also has a 6 element monoband Yagi for 6 meters, coverage on 160 meters, and he is adding a sloper for 40 meters. He is going to have 4 separate antennas. He gives his QRN/QRM levels on his QRZ page and it's an incredible amount of noise. I would not want to trade places with Ilian, or any of the NATO troops, in a second but he has more band coverage than I do and we all know he is in a war zone. It's really a shame somebody would pirate this guy's call.

I hope it is not the Afghan government giving the NATO soldiers a hard time with something as trivial as a ham license. We and our allies have lost many lives over there and pumped many billions into that economy. The military has giant Comm complexes that would dwarf any amateur station and I doubt they even get licensed.

My guess, until we have a definitive answer, is that Illian is just a very industrious and motivated ham.  I think it is a way of eliminating some of the noise he picks up from the base and obviously it gives him a stronger signal.

To KF6ABU:

Although he says many stations are QRMing his QSOs I agree with K6UJ and do not think he is intentionally ignoring you. He is one of the most sought after stations on amateur radio and he has stations from all over the globe calling him. I looked at the list of direct QSLs his manager has received and he is working many Japanese stations also. If he has propagation with Japan at the same time as the US he has a real zoo on his hands. Between the QRN and the QRM it's really amazing he has worked as many stations as he has. He has a very beautiful QSL card which I just saw and will send for even though he confirmed via LoTW in just a few days.

Let me just add I hope the amateur radio gives the troops using it in Afghanistan a little relief and I hope they come home safe and as quickly as possible. I've worked both Illian, T6LG and Eric, T6MO plus T6SM, Martin and T6JC, Janez. I have great respect for each of them!

Chris/NU1O

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 03:51:20 AM »

Let me just add I hope the amateur radio gives the troops using it in Afghanistan a little relief and I hope they come home safe and as quickly as possible. I've worked both Illian, T6LG and Eric, T6MO plus T6SM, Martin and T6JC, Janez. I have great respect for each of them!

AMEN!

I got to work Illian as YI9LZ, my only Iraq QSO. I hope I get a chance to work one of the T6 guys. They have some nice sigs here in the southeast.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 05:52:38 AM »

Well, today is my lucky day!!!  I was FINALLY able to snag T6SM for an ATNO on 15 CW.  His signal is building in the northern Ohio area and he is calling for NA stations at the moment.

73 de Jim - KE8G
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »

AWESOME!!! What a rush, congrats.

paul
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: