Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn this Modern Stuff is Good!  (Read 4889 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »

Trying to get back in some semblance of physical condition: Taking long walks, doing a bit of running, and dieting.

Yesterday was a landmark in that quest as I strapped on my old running watch that I discovered buried in my sock draw untouched for 5 years. This is getting serious!

While waiting for my pre-run asthma meds to kick in (lol), I figured I'd kill time by setting the $25 Casio: Incredibly it was precisely on time with WWV... to the second and after 5 years or more. If only my ticker worked as well.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

I've got two cheap little Casio digital watches, they were around $23 each, I think.  I leave them set to GMT, and use them for logging contacts, one in the car and one at my main radio.  Solar powered so they never need batteries, and they set themselves to WWV every night so they're always dead accurate.  GREAT little gadgets, IMO!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »

In 1986 Pulitzer prize winning Chicago-Tribune columnist Mike Royko took aim at Rolex-class watches which he compared with his feature-packed $32.99 Japanese nerd job.

He points out that the $5,000 model doesn't even come with a calculator or telephone number directory:

"``Nice watch you have there.``

``Oh, thanks.``

``One of those oyster-shell jobs, hmmm? Must be expensive.``

``Gift from my wife.``

``Beautiful. But tell me, what can it do?``

``Do? It tells the time.``

At that point, I feign amazement and say: ``That`s all? For all that money, it only tells time?``

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-12-17/news/8604040218_1_watch-calculator-button

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »

I have one of those "gift from wife" watches.  50th birthday present, always wanted one.  It keeps lousy time.  If they open it to time it, the gasket must be replaced, and they soak you for the little gasket.  In fact any service to the watch costs an  arm and a leg, and of course they like you to get it looked at every few years.  I wear it constantly because if I leave it at home, it'll stop running and they like to run all the time.  The mechanical mystique that always fascinated me has long since worn off.  I have a couple of beautiful ceramic, battery powered dress watches that remain on the dresser because I have to keep this one running.  My wife has suggested a winder that keeps the watch in motion when you're not wearing it, but a decent one also costs an arm and a leg.  Then there's the premium I pay each year to insure the thing. I could get rid of it, but i made the mistake of mentioning one day to my admiring son "Someday it'll be yours, pal".  It's turned out to be a 14k pain in the azz. I should have asked for a Casio G Shock!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:50:17 PM by K3GM » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:17 AM »

Christmas is coming up soon.  The problem could be solved and the promise to the son kept with a small box and bow.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »

You sure you didn't just leave it so long that it wrapped around ?  Grin

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »

My 25 year old  stainless Heuer needs a battery about once in five years, and still looks good.  A plastic watch is a plastic watch. 
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »

I've always joked that the ultimate watch was no watch. But QE2 has been photographed numerous times wearing one. Did she think she was going to miss her coronation?

http://blogs.christies.com/longitude/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Queen-wearing-JLC-101.jpeg

No doubt set to GMT!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »

I've always joked that the ultimate watch was no watch. But QE2 has been photographed numerous times wearing one. Did she think she was going to miss her coronation?

http://blogs.christies.com/longitude/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Queen-wearing-JLC-101.jpeg

No doubt set to GMT!

"The Queen is never late. Everyone else is early"

73 de Jim, N2EY
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2008/04/25/the-300000-watch-that-doesnt-tell-time/

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »

I've got one of those watches that needs to go in for servicing every X amount of years and this year I got a G-Shock. I wore the other watch every single day for 12 years, but now I am wearing the G-Shock and only bring the other watch out for nice occasions. I'm almost wondering what is the point of keeping the other watch around? I'm not at that point of selling it.. it would be nice to pass down someday. I still do appreciate it as a small mechanical "work of art" but I must admit, the G-Shock is packed full of features - solar powered, tunes into the "atomic clock" signal, it has a light, and it's pretty tough.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:21:13 AM »

Pass down the watch, for what reason? 

Kids today dont wear wristwatches and that's a huge problem for low-end watch makers like Timex. Eventually it will be a problem for status watches. And I don't think either of my sons has used an alarm clock for years. Their lives are organized around cell phones.

I had never heard of a G-shock but they're making inroads among fashion trendsetters. Note that until WWI wristwatches were worn almost exclusively by women. The Great War popularized male wristwatches (popular with dashing pilots) and trenchcoats which were only authorized for officers.   

wikipedia:
"G-Shock is popular with mountaineers, firemen, paramedics, police officers, astronauts, film directors (Tony Scott was often pictured wearing a GW-3000B, as is Ron Howard and Francis Ford Coppola) and soldiers. Ex-Special Forces soldier Andy McNab mentions in several of his novels how his fictional character Nick Stone relies on a G-Shock watch. According to Mark Bowden's book Blackhawk Down, the DELTA Operators wore G-Shock watches during the combat events of 3rd & 4th October 1993. Since then, G-Shocks watches have become very popular with Special Forces groups in both American and other NATO nation units, due to their being "battle tested."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Shock
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:50:13 AM »

Good point.. I notice many folks don't wear them these days as their cell phone provides everything they need. It would probably pay for a nice tower.. waay more useful (just wish I had a spot to put one up on my property!)

G-Shock watches have actually been around for a while, although I think their popularity have soared in recent years. Funny the wiki article mentions the types of folks that wear them, I happen to be a volunteer firefighter.  Roll Eyes

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »

Pass down the watch, for what reason?......
In my particular case, my "kid" is actually 36 years old and has a number low to medium price watches which he wears daily.  Regardless of how old he is, he'll always be my kid, and will get the watch someday when the time is right.  He's got enough on his plate now, and doesn't need the consternation of ownership this thing seems to cause me.

Oh...After participating in this thread, I jumped on Amazon, and have a Casio Time Wave headed my way to wear for the weekend chores and yardwork.  $27 and supposedly keeps (really) perfect time!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:45:13 AM by K3GM » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »

Oh...After participating in this thread, I jumped on Amazon, and have a Casio Time Wave headed my way to wear for the weekend chores and yardwork.  $27 and supposedly keeps (really) perfect time!

I started this thread because I was dumbfounded that my Casio was accurate to the second (perhaps better than that)  after sitting in a drawer for years.  Took a good look at it last night and saw that its the kind that sets itself to WWVB. Its light-up feature wasn't working as that's powered from light energy. It's a Casio Wave Ceptor model.
http://waveceptor.casio.com/

Imagine, a watch with a radio receiver in it, although it's a bit antenna-restricted for 60 KHz.  Wonder if those can be retuned when we get the Lowfer allocation?

I too got hankering for one of those G-shock jobs. Most seem to be around $100.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: