Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making XP's built in Internet Time work for JT65-HF  (Read 5636 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »

I was going to post this in Computers, but the main interest in having a VERY accurate computer time is, of course, JT65-HF.

I, like many, wanted to try JT65-HF...at least to see if I can receive/decode it. I saw all the tips and they all said to get software like Dimension 4 to keep your system clock accurate. I am using XP and my internet time server was set to 0.pool.ntp.org however my wife uses time.windows.com.

This worked, but it only updates every 7 days. If I boot in the morning (I do not leave my system powered up) and tell the clock to UPDATE NOW, JT65-HF is good for the rest of the day. Anyway, I found a solution that lets you use XP the way it is without using any other software. I did this as I tried D4 and had no luck.

Here is what I thought. IF I could make XP update the clock far more often than every 7 days, it should work. Also, XP must know when the last update was, so that when I turned the system on, it would know that the 7 days was or was not due!

I found the value...in seconds...that XP uses and changed it to 14400 SECONDS. That is 4 hours and it does update every 4 hours. Of course you can make it any number of seconds you want. However, the best part is that when I power on the next morning, the system sees that it is long over due and updates the clock! JT65-HF get an accurate clock every time.

Here is what to do....
I assume you all know how to use regedit. Go to the following KEY

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

Select SpecialPollInterval

Change DECIMAL value from 604800 (7 days) to some other value in seconds. As I said, I used 14400 seconds (4 Hours).

As I said, D4 did not work for me and I did try to set the HTTP value but it kept timing out. I am sure I can fix it but it seems like what I have in XP now works fine.

OH, you will need to reboot in order to see/verify the change.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »

I have used Dimension 4 with an XP machine for the past 15 months after I started using JT65 HF. No problems at all with that setup. Time updates every 3 minutes.

I installed D4 on my main XP machine to keep the clock updated on it.
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »

Download Atomic.exe and it will accomplish the same thing without having to edit the registry directly.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

Andy
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »

Thank you both. I may try D4 again as there should be no reason for it not to work. Also, will Atomic.exe  set at boot up?

Also, with my reg mod, would D4 or Atomic.exe be any more accurate than the XP built-in method?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:36:36 PM by W6TGE » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »

Thank you both. I may try D4 again as there should be no reason for it not to work. Also, will Atomic.exe  set at boot up?

Also, with my reg mod, would D4 or Atomic.exe be any more accurate than the XP built-in method?

Well I can tell you this from my experience. When I first started operating JT65 I had the XP clock set to update automatically.

After the first day of using JT65 HF I could no longer decode signals. I talked to my buddy about that he he asked if I had my CPU clock synced. I said yes, using the XP clock update. Not good enough he told me, download D4.

Did that and have not had any problems since then and it has been close to two years of operating JT65.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

Well I can tell you this from my experience. When I first started operating JT65 I had the XP clock set to update automatically.

After the first day of using JT65 HF I could no longer decode signals. I talked to my buddy about that he he asked if I had my CPU clock synced. I said yes, using the XP clock update. Not good enough he told me, download D4.

Did that and have not had any problems since then and it has been close to two years of operating JT65.

OK, but was it because the XP clock updated once per week (default) or is it bad even if you change it as I did to every 4 hours? So far I can decode OK.

Still, D4 ought to work for me and I think I will try running it again. I think I got ver 5.
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »

This program usually only needs to be run once. However if you have timing problems just run it and reset everything. I usually will run it if I reboot to make sure things stay in sync but then I usually leave my PC on 24/7 so it is not an issue. I went to this method after I too had problems with D4.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

This program usually only needs to be run once. However if you have timing problems just run it and reset everything. I usually will run it if I reboot to make sure things stay in sync but then I usually leave my PC on 24/7 so it is not an issue. I went to this method after I too had problems with D4.

OK, and I do not know what was wrong with D4. I wonder what the default server is before I specified?
KB7YYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »

Another simple system time updater - I have only had to decrease the amount of time between updates.  I have used this one very successfully for over a year now on both 32 bit Vista and 64 bit Win7.

http://www.timesynctool.com/
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

Another simple system time updater - I have only had to decrease the amount of time between updates.  I have used this one very successfully for over a year now on both 32 bit Vista and 64 bit Win7.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

I may try that as well.
M0DRH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »

Hi,

With modern PC's having fast cpu's and lot's of memory having extra applications setting time is not a problem.
But why not have the system do what it is perfectly capable of doing, keep time automatically.
The main problem is with the NTP servers it uses.

So modify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers

I replaced the originals with local(UK) servers found by google "UK ntp servers"
1.uk.pool.ntp.org
2.uk.pool.ntp.org
3.uk.pool.ntp.org

Along with the W6TGE's original post:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
Select SpecialPollInterval
Change DECIMAL value from 604800 (7 days) to some other value in seconds. As I said, I used 14400 seconds (4 Hours).
(I have mine set to 3600 or 1hr)

Never had any issues, and it keeps perfect time
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »

Well, M0DRH, I also changed servers, but I tried D4 again and all was OK so I left it configured that way. So far all is OK.
M0DRH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

Well, M0DRH, I also changed servers, but I tried D4 again and all was OK so I left it configured that way. So far all is OK.

O.K, if it works for you fine, I also used to run a time synch program also,
But then after some googling about "Windows XP Time", I found and did the reg tweaks.

If you have multiple PC's on a network that you need to keep the correct time on?
From your other PC's either in a cmd window or a startup batch file you can use this command
(( You could also run it via task scheduler ))

net time \\ComputerName /set

where "ComputerName" is the name or ip address of the PC where you have the time synch app, or haved tweaked the reg.
(full details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490716.aspx )

W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

O.K, if it works for you fine, I also used to run a time synch program also,
But then after some googling about "Windows XP Time", I found and did the reg tweaks.

If you have multiple PC's on a network that you need to keep the correct time on?
From your other PC's either in a cmd window or a startup batch file you can use this command
(( You could also run it via task scheduler ))

net time \\ComputerName /set

where "ComputerName" is the name or ip address of the PC where you have the time synch app, or haved tweaked the reg.
(full details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490716.aspx )

Thank you. However, the computer I tried JT65 on is the only one that needs to be that close in time. It is well under 0.5 seconds off and is usually between 0.0 to 0.2 sec off in my JT65 window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: