About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P29VCX  (Read 2028 times)
K0RS

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

Worked these guys on 4 bands within about 30 minutes.  Short path on 12, 15 and 17 and long path on 20.  The east coast was spotting LP on 15 and 17m.  It's exceedingly rare...especially for this cycle...to have LP from Colorado to the east.  Most of our LP openings are in the morning to the west or southwest.  Ain't it great to have propagation again?  Enjoy while it lasts!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:05:13 PM by K0RS » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »

Worked these guys on 4 bands within about 30 minutes.  Short path on 12, 15 and 17 and long path on 20.  The east coast was spotting LP on 15 and 17m.  It's exceedingly rare...especially for this cycle...to have LP from Colorado to the east.  Most of our LP openings are in the morning to the west or southwest.  Ain't it great to have propagation again?  Enjoy while it lasts!

Well, you beat me a tad....... I guess.    I worked em on three bands, but in around 20 minutes. This should take care of a LOT of bandfills for a lot of us.
73 es GUD DX, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »

I worked them on 12 meter long path this morning and 15 meter short path in the afternoon.  I have not worked a station from Oceania via LP on 10 or 12 for many years. 20 meters is not so rare but 10/12 is for me, and on 12 my antenna is not even resonant and I'm still running tests with it.  Sometimes it works better off the back of the beam than pointed at a station.

We all better enjoy these conditions since nobody knows if we are talking days, weeks, a month or a year of very good conditions.

The ARRL's Diamond DXCC information under "Active Stations" lists P29VCX for Bismark Archipelago but the IOTA number on their QRZ page does not match up as one for Bismark.

Does anybody know if P29VCX counts for Bismark Archipelago?

Chris/NU1O

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

The ARRL's Diamond DXCC information under "Active Stations" lists P29VCX for Bismark Archipelago but the IOTA number on their QRZ page does not match up as one for Bismark.

Chris/NU1O

Their schedule has 4 different IOTA numbers for P29VCX.

OC-103
OC-135
0C-025
OC-240

http://p29ni.yolasite.com/

OC-103 and OC-025 will count for Bismark Archipelago, according to ARRL's "Active stations" list.

K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

I have not worked a station from Oceania via LP on 10 or 12 for many years. 20 meters is not so rare but 10/12 is for me

I can remember hearing a LP station from Colorado only once on 10m, and that was a JA.  I heard him calling "CQ contest" with my beam (a KT-34XA @ 60' at the time) pointing toward South America.  That was last cycle when we had days where the flux was over 300.  I rotated the antenna around to SP to verify the path and then came back around to call him.  He refused to answer me as he was working a JA domestic contest!

Back then it was pretty common to hear VK6s on 20m in the afternoon while beaming due east.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »

Chris/NU1O

Their schedule has 4 different IOTA numbers for P29VCX.

OC-103
OC-135
0C-025
OC-240

http://p29ni.yolasite.com/

OC-103 and OC-025 will count for Bismark Archipelago, according to ARRL's "Active stations" list.

Thank you for the info.  I usually bookmark the Dxpeditions when they are announced but this one escaped me.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

I have not worked a station from Oceania via LP on 10 or 12 for many years. 20 meters is not so rare but 10/12 is for me

I can remember hearing a LP station from Colorado only once on 10m, and that was a JA.  I heard him calling "CQ contest" with my beam (a KT-34XA @ 60' at the time) pointing toward South America.  That was last cycle when we had days where the flux was over 300.  I rotated the antenna around to SP to verify the path and then came back around to call him.  He refused to answer me as he was working a JA domestic contest!

Back then it was pretty common to hear VK6s on 20m in the afternoon while beaming due east.

I am trying to think of the furthest station I have worked long path which was a great deal away from the ocean, but I'd have to go back to the peak around 1990 or 1991 and even then I can't recall anything as far inland as Colorado.  A signal reaching almost three fourths across the US via long path is quite a haul. I seem to recall working some JA's long path on 15 meters in my morning but it was a long time ago and there were not many contacts so I'd have to check my logbooks to be sure.

At that time (1989 to 1991) I only had a 2 element Quad up at 20 feet so anything other than a VK, VU, 4S7, or the South China coast on 20 meters via LP was a big deal for me. I also used to get some long path openings to Arabia at the solar peaks but once again the path was all ocean even though the distance was about 18,000 miles.

Congratulations on a nice contact and 73,

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »

I am trying to think of the furthest station I have worked long path which was a great deal away from the ocean, but I'd have to go back to the peak around 1990 or 1991 and even then I can't recall anything as far inland as Colorado.  A signal reaching almost three fourths across the US via long path is quite a haul. I seem to recall working some JA's long path on 15 meters in my morning but it was a long time ago and there were not many contacts so I'd have to check my logbooks to be sure.

At that time (1989 to 1991) I only had a 2 element Quad up at 20 feet so anything other than a VK, VU, 4S7, or the South China coast on 20 meters via LP was a big deal for me. I also used to get some long path openings to Arabia at the solar peaks but once again the path was all ocean even though the distance was about 18,000 miles.

Congratulations on a nice contact and 73,

Chris/NU1O

Worked em on 3 bands in around 20 min last evening. Damn shame I cannot even HEAR the XX9. Hard to understand why.......  73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »

Worked em on 3 bands in around 20 min last evening. Damn shame I cannot even HEAR the XX9. Hard to understand why.......  73, Gene AF3Y

It's your wire antenna but your in a fix because you can't do anything about it.

The guys down South were working him about one hour before I got a decent signal.  Their signal has become audible at about the same time each day on 10 meters.  About 12:45 UTC.  They are 55 right now on 10 but they were stronger when I worked them on Friday.  I would concur that if you are going to work them 15 meters is probably your best hope. They were a legit 59 on Saturday on 15 when I worked them.

73 and good luck, Gene,

Chris/NU1O
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »

I was hoping this would be a chip shot on 40M or 30M greyline, but no.

While he is very very loud on 30M this morning, and there are a lot of NA callers for him, I don't think he's hearing very well, because he keeps sending these long long CQ's and only occasionally is he picking out a call. Possibly he's running 1.5kW and all of us guys in NA are power limited coming back?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »

I would like to work this one for DX Challenge credits but I haven't heard squat from this expedition and that's pretty unusual for a Left Coaster. Usually I don't have much problem working that part of the world. So either the propagation is favoring you on the East Coast, he's beaming specifically LP into Europe and the East Coast, or both.

John K7KB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: