Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apache Labs Hermes is shipping  (Read 15939 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »

"faith and optimism"

Wasn't that the 2006 motto of Countrywide, AIG and the Greek government?

I can't think of any effective way to research a startup company in India or worthwhile remedy if the $900 product never arrives. Did any of the WonderRadio customers get their money (only $400, as I recall) back from India?

But I'm just a sourpuss former lawyer.

WonderRadio:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,57633.0.html

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?168932-SDRTec-WonderRadio-pix-and-PDF

No one that I have talked to who had ordered a WonderRadio every got their money back.  I think a lot of those unwisely used wired transfers to pay for the equipment that never arrived.  Now Apache Labs is having trouble with credit card companies declining charges because of concerns of fraud.  

Apache Labs nasty and threatening responses to legitimate questions should be a red flag to anyone thinking of doing business with them.

Don't say you were not warned first here on eHam.

Gene
DOUG51

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »

Here is my revision

Faith: They have taken the technology that can work and leveraged it to the point where they are offering a new product . I have faith in the LTC and Analog Devices ADCs and the various FPGAs, because they have a track record, proven specs, broader exposure than boutique market like ham gear.  etc. Beyond that it goes into the optimism camp.

Optimism: They need to execute on delivering hardware and software, this is the tough part. Development , Operations, Logistics  etc... this all has to execute and do so without any show stoppers or screw ups up to prevent what could potentially be a great product vs. something that doesn't quite hack it. It takes time and mistakes will be made, but hopefully they will overcome.

So for SDR manufacturers, due to the them mostly being newcomers who don't have a lot of money to deal with problems or fix issues that the big three might be able to, it is not an easy road.

Now as far as the FCC quagmire, more from ahhbhee on the yahoo group (no mention of part 15):

The ANAN-10 Kit is not an amplifier but is intended to be used as an amateur radio transceiver with Hermes, FCC approval is required for "stand alone" Amplifiers and "stand alone" Amplifier Kits, having said that, Apache has applied for FCC certification for the ANAN-10/ANAN-100/ANAN-100D, we are not allowed to sell these radios via a distributor until the certification process is complete,

individual amateur radio operators may import them, however, they individually need to ensure that their setup meets FCC emission standards,

FCC certification is not a difficult task and we expect to have all our radios certified very soon, the difficult part was designing the radios and ensuring that they meet FCC, Local and CE compliance requirements which has already been achieved,

73s,
Abhi

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

nasty and threatening responses to legitimate questions should be a red flag to anyone thinking of doing business with them.

I've been steaming about how Lance Armstong was able to muzzle doubters. Anyone, including former members of Armstrong's inner circle who suggested he was juiced, became the target of his army of lawyers.

"Doping might sometimes be a victimless crime, but not in the case of Lance Armstrong, whose drug abuse and illicit blood transfusions created a phony empire of wealth, adulation and power that had to be protected at all costs. The Armstrong myth was so lucrative that suppressing the truth came to require an endless behind-the-scenes campaign to bully and intimidate people into silence. Some of it bordered on gangsterism. Some of it was dressed up in the respectable wardrobe of elite law firms..."
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-10-20/news/34611910_1_betsy-andreu-armstrong-teammate-floyd-landis

Armstong's net worth is estimated at $125 Million. For a startup in India to even suggest they would initiate litigation 8,000 miles away is ludicrous. Are they planning to bring their design people here as witnesses? Realize that defamation litigation requires several elements, including establishing damages (usually).

Makes you wonder, among other thoughts, how bright the Apache people are. Don't they have better things to worry about... like increasing the size of the Yahoo Apache-labs Group beyond 180 members. (estimate the revenue that's going to generate)
DOUG51

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

Tragic about Lance, but the funny thing is that the TDF could not go back and award new winners who came in second behind Lance after those seven wins. The 2nd Place guys are also suspected of doping.  Sad

I wish we had more US mfg of SDR besides Flex and Elecraft
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

It may be wise for Apache Labs to let N9VV take care of the public communications.

Real techies don't use knobs.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: