Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-dash Navigation system that can be used with APRS?  (Read 4187 times)
W4QED

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

I am currently looking for an in-dash Navigation system for my Jetta TDI. I would like to have the display show current nearby calls. I currently have a computer(laptop) and also an Garmin Nuvi-350 that can be stand alone or used with computer and the interface from Argent Data that uses the maintenance port for my APRS setup. Just wanting to get rid of some of the clutter.
 Looking for a Navigation system that either can or can easily be modified to display APRS data on screen (NMEA-0183?). It would be nice to also have ATSC(US TV),DVD,Bluetooth,Radio of course, backup camera input,internal; PC (wish anyway) with WiFi,other inputs like SD or USB would be nice.
 I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a unit? I did come across a Nav System that has On-Star and could be modified by turning off the On-Star which would be fine for using with APRS but have been unable to relocate if since my computer drive crashed and replaced with SDD...

Thanks,
Ben ARS W4QED
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

I don't know an easy way to do this. Most in-dash Alpine units (Honda, Toyota, and a few others) do have a GPS data output port (I used that port myself), but no accessible data input port.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »

It isn't easy to modify any GPS receiver to do anything it wasn't designed to do  Cheesy There's a whole lot of firmware there that is permanently burned into the chips.
W4QED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »

I am quite aware, just looking for something that would be in-dash with navigation etc. I did run across this article:
http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-August/015772.html

I don't think the reference links are working though.

Another link using motorola chip of OnStar:

http://www.openminds.net/onstar/1_explanation.html

Seems like it is for older style OnStar units.

Maybe the GPS stream appears on the VW's Can-Bus anyone know?

Ben ARS W4QED
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

This site: http://www.mp3car.com/ may have some information for you too. There are a lot of Chinese companies that make video displays for dashboards that take HDMI and/or VGA inputs, and hardened 12VDC PC cases that are made for automotive use.

As for modifying the factory system, your time will be better spent working on an aftermarket system. Besides, the second your VW dealer sees what you've done, you can forget about the warranty.
W4QED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »

K0JEG,

Thanks, well the car has over 58k on it and is a 2009 Jetta TDI so not worried about the warranty. Also have been driving for the last year with two nails in one of my tires, just have to put air in once every 1.5 months...HIHI... I can fix that soon.
 I've been looking at some of the Android in dash PC systems and they seem to have some possibilities with them as some have a micro USB port(s) and the Android Reference API appears to have a way of getting the GPS data String and if necessary I've built new data streams for APRS before on the TINI 1-MB 1-wire board for weather data. So there is a possibility of building an Application for that and it may help others.
 Anyone have any information on the in dash Android PC's and their I/O please comment.

I have been getting some good ideas to explore from this post.

Thanks to all,
Ben ARS W4QED
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: