Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone ID these HV connectors and the cable used please?  (Read 2175 times)
2E0ILY

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »

I was given 2 pairs of HV connectors to try and re-use for connecting the remote HV plate supply to a linear. 5kV at about 1.8 Amps. I was told they may be PET200 connectors. One disassembles OK and the inner conductor of the co-x easily un-soldered from the centre pin of the plug. The other outwardly identical looking plug seems to have been glued together internally and I cannot get the inner of the co-ax out of the PTFE centre insulation of the plug no matter how hard I try and pull, twist or lever. The outer diameter of the co-ax used is circa 8mm. There's no way RG-213, for example, will go in the plugs. the chassis sockets have a solder pin connection. They are obviously high quality and may have come from commercial RF welding machines here in the UK. Anyone know what they are please? Thanks.

Photos at http://www.gatesgarth.com/hv/hv.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:51:10 PM by BASIL » Logged

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »

As far as the outside diameter of the coaxial cable, 7.91 mm (0.311 inches)
... Soviet weapons commonly use a .311 in (7.91 mm) bullet

0.311" is a crimp size for 3-piece 75 ohm BNC connectors used on RG-7/U coax (75 ohm).

Quad-shielded RG-6/QS is 7.57 mm (0.298 inches) O.D.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:12:42 PM by W9GB » Logged
VK2TIL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »

Difficult to be certain from a photograph but they might be HN (High-voltage N) connectors.

See websites such as Amphenol RF and other makers of quality interconnects.
N4FBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »

One of the more common HV connector companies is King. Here is a URL with some info on these connectors

http://www.winchesterelectronics.com/products/kings-brand-connectors-rf-connectors-shv-series-high-voltage-rf-connectors-p-154.html

The connectors in the pictures look like SHV connectors; these are used for voltages up to 20kv.

I'd recommend making very sure that these surplus connectors can safely handle the high voltage that will be present in the amplifier. One of the issues with surplus HV connectors as one can't be sure of their condition or of their characteristics if they don't have a data sheet. When in doubt with any high voltage connector, it pays to buy new or find one from a reputable dealer that can supply a data sheet.

Have fun and be safe!
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »

I have managed to ID these and they are HV connectors from Hunting HiVolt testers rated to 30kV. My source had some new ones, and some factory  pre assembled into Hunting HiVolt insulation tester extension leads. They should be more than happy at 5kV and as far as I know Teflon doesn't deteriorate as a dielectric with age. So good to go, and I am have FAR more confidence in these than the Millen HV plugs and sockets that have no proper cable retention on the plugs and minimal distance between insulation and the conductor where the cable enters the plug. I must say they look very iffy to me Smiley

Thanks for the help.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »

Those connectors look they made by LEMO, another company that produces excellent HV connectors.
ALDEN also make some nice convenient plug in HV connectors at good prices.

Dont worry about the voltage rating, if you feel unsafe just mount the connector on another piece of insulated material then onto your panel. You will then have a double insulated connector that is unlikely to flash over.

Its nice when you have a huge Hypot that you can test all these possible scenarios, its amazing what you learn about high voltage playing around with any Hypot.

I have managed to ID these and they are HV connectors from Hunting HiVolt testers rated to 30kV. My source had some new ones, and some factory  pre assembled into Hunting HiVolt insulation tester extension leads. They should be more than happy at 5kV and as far as I know Teflon doesn't deteriorate as a dielectric with age. So good to go, and I am have FAR more confidence in these than the Millen HV plugs and sockets that have no proper cable retention on the plugs and minimal distance between insulation and the conductor where the cable enters the plug. I must say they look very iffy to me Smiley

Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: