Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your best DX catch?  (Read 5635 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »

Best DX catches?

3Y0E - worked them twice (once me, once my XYL) a full month before they were even audible to many others here.
7O6T - worked in the first hour when QRV with incredible pileups.
ZD8I - personal favorite. I was just CQing around on PSK31 when he came back to me... ATNO without me even looking for it!
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »

I had just finished reading W9KNI's book, and realized if I was going to work Cedric I'd have to do it the old fashioned way. So I decided to do some cluster research and try to figure out his operating pattern. I managed to figure out that he would likely show up in a 2 hour window on certain weekdays around a certain frequency. After a couple of weeks stalking him, I heard him calling one day and got him, almost exactly where and when I figured he would be.

That's a great story James and an example of how a motivated, determined DXer gets the job done.

In 1995 I read in my DX Bulletin that Roger, G3SXW, was going to Nepal.  I had worked 9N1MM on 20 SSB,  I'd but never had a CW contact with 9N.  I was determined to work Roger, but it was the bottom of the sunspot cycle and it was rare to even hear India.  To make matters worse Roger was only taking modest equipment.  Now this was back in the day before internet spotting clusters, but we did have a local 2m DX packet cluster.  I did a search from the Pacet Cluster's database for when the local guys were working VU and found I had about a 10 or 15 minute window to VU every day on 20m. 

Roger liked to operate on certain frequencies, 28 kHz up from the bottom of the band edge, if I recall correctly.  I camped out on 14.028 just before the predicted opening to VU.  Sure enough, about 5 minutes before the end of the predicted opening I was rewarded with a very weak "CQ CQ NA de 9N1SXW."  Wow, it was like predicting an eclipse!

Roger detailed his 9N1SXW expedition in his book Up Two.  I'm proud to say that I was among a handful of NA stations that made it into his log on that trip.  I spotted Roger on our local DX Cluster and a few other locals made it as well.  Very rewarding QSO.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »

With 100 watts and a G5RV up 35ft, I was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to work E40VB, Palestine, on SSB before a pileup had even formed.  I have the QSL card on my desk in a frame  Smiley
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »

Since I forgot to add one.I will add it to this forum.I forgot JY1(sk).That was another great catch.Missed him the first time and snagged him a few months later.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »

I had just finished reading W9KNI's book, and realized if I was going to work Cedric I'd have to do it the old fashioned way. So I decided to do some cluster research and try to figure out his operating pattern. I managed to figure out that he would likely show up in a 2 hour window on certain weekdays around a certain frequency. After a couple of weeks stalking him, I heard him calling one day and got him, almost exactly where and when I figured he would be.

That's a great story James and an example of how a motivated, determined DXer gets the job done.

In 1995 I read in my DX Bulletin that Roger, G3SXW, was going to Nepal.  I had worked 9N1MM on 20 SSB,  I'd but never had a CW contact with 9N.  I was determined to work Roger, but it was the bottom of the sunspot cycle and it was rare to even hear India.  To make matters worse Roger was only taking modest equipment.  Now this was back in the day before internet spotting clusters, but we did have a local 2m DX packet cluster.  I did a search from the Pacet Cluster's database for when the local guys were working VU and found I had about a 10 or 15 minute window to VU every day on 20m. 

Roger liked to operate on certain frequencies, 28 kHz up from the bottom of the band edge, if I recall correctly.  I camped out on 14.028 just before the predicted opening to VU.  Sure enough, about 5 minutes before the end of the predicted opening I was rewarded with a very weak "CQ CQ NA de 9N1SXW."  Wow, it was like predicting an eclipse!

Roger detailed his 9N1SXW expedition in his book Up Two.  I'm proud to say that I was among a handful of NA stations that made it into his log on that trip.  I spotted Roger on our local DX Cluster and a few other locals made it as well.  Very rewarding QSO.

Another great DX story! Congrats!
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »

1969....A friend called me on the landline to tell me that K4IA/KC4 on Navassa was working 20 CW split. I didn't have
split capability on the Drake TR-3. I think that was the rig at the time, or maybe an SR-150. Anyhow, Charlie put his
phone near the receiver, I put the rig on the pileup frequency, and soon had him in the log. Then we went to 15 and
did it again. Not an ATNO, already had KC4AF from 1958, but fun to improvise and see what you can do.

Bill  W4XK
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »

Forgot to mention  ST0R -- 2011 and VP6DI/VP6DX 2002 and 2008.....Ducie and South Sudan were nice ones too....

V
KA3NRX

N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »

After more than 40 years of chasing DX, lots of good QSOs come to mind. But three really rise to the top:

--Being a 15-year-old newly minted general class op with a Yaesu FTdx-400 and 20 meter inverted vee up 30 feet in 1969 and calling CQ on 20-meter SSB. Who should answer me but 9N1MM, Father Marshall Moran. A huge thrill.

--Nailing a VK6 on 75 meter SSB via long path. For months, I could just barely tell he was in there every afternoon. But, finally, one day he was 5x5 and I got him on the first call. I proudly display his card on the shack wall.

--And more recently, Pierre, ZS8M from Marion Island. I worked really hard on that one because Pierre was using modest antennas and the propagation, at least initially, was working against me. Night after night I'd get up at 1 and 2 a.m. to get on 40-meter SSB but I couldn't hear a peep from Pierre while the West Coast guys enjoyed gray line propagation and were giving him S9 reports. After studying the propagation charts for a bit, I realized my best weapon was just to wait a few months and propagation would be more favorable to my area. A few months later it was and I nailed him on 40 meters and 20 meters in the same day.

73, N4KZ
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »

One of my most exciting recently was catching BY5CD on 40 CW in last years CQWW contest.  For some reason, working China on 40m really made me feel like a big gun DXer.  Wasn't even a new band zone as I already had Taiwan confirmed on 40.  ALso heard a 9M6 that morning on 40 but he couldn't hear me.

Another exciting one was working Juan De Nova back in 1989 or so on 20 SSB one late night. Didn't realize at the time how rare it was.  Glad to have it on the wall, haven't worked it since. 

Working NF6S/KP1 from my apartment in grad school using a Heathkit SB102 and an indoor dipole was sure a stoke of luck.  Didn't have KP1 confirmed yet at it took another 16 years after that to finally get my 6Y5NR/KP1 QSL-worked with a Yaesu FT101B and a vertical on 15m when I was in high school.

Face it, any DX is exciting and a great catch!

73 John AF5CC 
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »

Just thought of a few more....Since taking up mobiling operation, I managed to bag St. Helena Island, Alaska, and T32C from the car on 10 meters with 25 watts and a whip....all garden variety, but great catches for a new mobile operation....

V
KA3NRX

WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

On 18 Jan, 1981 I heard KC4USF-the USS Polar Star(the largest US Icebreaker-Coast Guard) calling cq....cq...cq on 21400 Mhz. No one was answering him...so I did.  I worked KC4USF(operator WD4PGW-Tom)  at 0135 UTC giving him a 5 by 5 report....my report was 3 by 5 AND I WORKED HIM OVER THE TOP OF WORLD-THE NORTH POLE (long path) using a modified Ten Tec Argonaut 505 with a WHOPPING 200 MILI-WATTS. At the time I was using a 21 element home-brewed wire log-periodic antenna(10-20 meters) with a 62 feet long fiberglass boom up on a tower at 36 feet who's rotor was froze-up in the North direction due to the extreme sub-zero weather here. I still have the Qsl card from KC4USF and  I still treasure both the contact and the Qsl card with Tom's remarks " Tnx Fer the Qso + Qsl. Hope we broke a record Don. Best of Dx. Ur my first Qrp in KC4 Land. 73's- Tom"
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

7O6T was a nice one.
I worked 9N1MM, but I was a kid back then and didn't have the good sense to QSL him.
A5A Bhutan

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:51 AM »

On 18 Jan, 1981 I heard KC4USF-the USS Polar Star(the largest US Icebreaker-Coast Guard) calling cq....cq...cq on 21400 Mhz. No one was answering him...so I did.  I worked KC4USF(operator WD4PGW-Tom)  at 0135 UTC giving him a 5 by 5 report....my report was 3 by 5 AND I WORKED HIM OVER THE TOP OF WORLD-THE NORTH POLE (long path) using a modified Ten Tec Argonaut 505 with a WHOPPING 200 MILI-WATTS. At the time I was using a 21 element home-brewed wire log-periodic antenna(10-20 meters) with a 62 feet long fiberglass boom up on a tower at 36 feet who's rotor was froze-up in the North direction due to the extreme sub-zero weather here. I still have the Qsl card from KC4USF and  I still treasure both the contact and the Qsl card with Tom's remarks " Tnx Fer the Qso + Qsl. Hope we broke a record Don. Best of Dx. Ur my first Qrp in KC4 Land. 73's- Tom"

That is a tremendous catch.

In April of 2011 I worked Vostok Base, RI1ANF, on 20 meter CW long path, up the whole globe and then down to me (at least that is how I assume it traveled).  I guess that is about 15,000 miles or so?  I purposely turned my beam South to make sure it was a true LP signal and I had just a slight copy beaming South. He was strong as well, 599.  I never really thought of working LP to Antarctica but it is possible with the right conditions.  I was running a lot more power than you.  1 kW to an A3S.

Your were lucky he was on 21.4 Mhz. There is not a lot of action that high up the band except during contests. Maybe that's why he selected that frequency.

Chris/NU1O

KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »

As a fairly new ham I can't beat any of these great stories.
But one of favorite contacts was me calling CQ on a completely empty SSB 12 meter band and had a Nigerian station answer me. We were 57s both ways. (Africa is very rare for me)

This summer I crushed huge pileups twice into the pacific with 100 watts and a 3 element beam at 20 feet for DX. Took just 2 calls each time. Propagation rules.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

On the receiving end of the pile-up while operating from the USS Lake Champlain during the Gemni 5 recovery mission.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: