Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming a Motorola MSF5000 repeater  (Read 16458 times)
WA2TTP

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »

I have a chance to buy a MSF5000 repeater model C64RLB7106BT to upgrade my system. My concern is the programming software was designed back in the DOS days and I've heard it can be a pain to get going on modern computers. Anybody have any input on this issue?
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

No problem with ANY old or modern computers.

First, boot your computer with a DOS Boot Disk and the Motorola software will run on your computer....old, new, etc.). I did this many times when I had a 900 MHz MSF5000 on the air years ago. Also programmed most other Moto radios for 900 MHz.

The DOS Boot Disk can be downloaded free on the web......http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
WA2TTP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

Thanks Roger that's encouraging.

Steve
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »

I use an old Pentium 120 MHz to program all my old Motorola stuff.  It's an old white Compaq laptop running Win98.  I boot it in DOS mode using F8 to run the old RSS.  Sometimes you can get by programming with faster computers, but when the program does a lot of resets to the radio during the programming process, it can throw errors when the computer expects the radio to be ready to receive data, when, in fact, it's still resetting and self-checking.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

That's good to know.

Here are the radios I programmed successfully over the years with an old Sony 400 MHz laptop and a recent at the time Dell desk top.

All 900 MHz radios:

MSF5000 repeater
MaxTrac
GTX Mobile
GTX Handheld
Spectra
MTR2000 repeater
Astro XTL1500
MTS2000

I got out of 900 MHZ radios when no one in our club seemed interested in the new band, even when they could have a free radio, etc. It was fun, however.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

C64RLB7106BT

I may be wrong, doing this from memory, but isn't that the older MSF that uses the "suitcase" programmer and PROM?  Think the PC programmable series (later ones) had an "X" as the middle letter in the model number.

If it is the PROM programmable station, check out BatLabs website.  There are several guys that still program those earlier units though some of them are a bit pricy.  They are excellent radios, however, and, especially for a repeater, programming is a one-time proposition.
Tom DGN
WA2TTP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »

Hi Tom,

The RLB is the same as the CXB in most ways but doesn't have as many factory options available for it.
I have the repeater now and it is programmable via a serial port and has the same digital display as the CXB.

The link below is where I found this information along with other ones.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/msf/msf-tour.html

Steve
WA2TTP
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »

The RLB is the same as the CXB in most ways but doesn't have as many factory options available for it.
I have the repeater now and it is programmable via a serial port and has the same digital display as the CXB.

OK. I was thinking of the CLB.  Between the MSF and the PURC stations, those model numbers keep me totally confused.
Tom
K6SCA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

Only the CXB can be programmed from a computer. A CLB takes the Motorola R-1800 "suitcase" programmer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: