Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaxial Hardline  (Read 1229 times)
WJ0G

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »

All:

I'm taking a huge risk here by posting this request:

I know I'm not in the swap section, but thinking that posting here...might get somebody to have a look in their backyard..

Moderators, I appreciate your patience!  Smiley

Looking desperately for several 300' or longer runs of 7/8" or 1 5/8" (Preferred) hardline for my upcoming tower project.  There is a guy on the east coast that has some...alas, that is quite far as I'm in Colorado.

Word is...that when this stuff comes off cellular towers for upgrades, the workers have permission to chop it up and turn it in as scrap for $$$!

Isn't that the most sickening thing you've ever heard?

Anybody?  If anybody has 'connections' please reply to me privately..

Thanks!
Tim Samaras
WJ0G

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

Quote from: WJ0G
Word is...that when this stuff comes off cellular towers for upgrades, the workers have permission to chop it up and turn it in as scrap for $$$!
The current commodity price for scrap copper and aluminum, this is common.

LOCAL CONTACTS, I can not stress this enough.  Flippers on eBay know this well ... LOCAL woks ... Hitting estate sales, classified ads, hamfests

Local clubs and amateur radio social events where you meet professionals in the industry (cellular, CATV, Land Mobile, TV/radio) -- is where these opportunities happen.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »

I've that much 75 ohm 750 if you want to drive to Texas to get it.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

Find almost anyone who does commercial tower work with a crew, and ask if you can buy old cable.

I get any size heliax I want, with connectors, for about $1 a foot from a fellow about three miles from me. I have to pay that because they have to spool the old cable up.

Otherwise, as they lower the cable, they feed it right into a chipper. 

He does cell and commercial towers. When they change anything on the tower or have any antenna issues, they just change the cables. I can even get stuff up to 3 inches diameter from him. The connectors are good connectors, type DIN or C usually, depending on the type of service the cable was in. Once in a while I get type N's, which I can easily modify (about ten minutes of time) into UHF connectors on my lathe.

73 Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: