Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper donation ettiquette?  (Read 1334 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »

I just got Sable Island for a new one. Website says $1 Paypal donation to US for QSL.

But that sound rather low? $1 would just about cover the USA stamp, envelope, QSL card, etc. That would not leave much for operating costs? Should I just send $2?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

I feel you should donate according to your budget, the overall purpose of the DX'pedition (i.e. Humanitarian & Radio), and how badly you needed that ATNO Smiley my usual donation above the QSL cost is $10 - $25, but that's only for a ATNO. I might have to modify that a bit once I retire.

John K7KB
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

The Paypal donation gives me better ease of mind. I hated sending money to higher value thru the mail to foreign countries.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

Once i hear of an expedition, i send a paypal ($15 and above) via their website, if it is an ATNO.
Depending on the size of the operation, i adjust my contribution up.

I also send out additional funds with my QSL request.

Just my little way of giving back,having been on the other end of the pileup
and knowing first hand on the financial burden imposed on the Ops to put a new one on the air.

73s
krish
w4vku
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

I think you should give within your budget. Many of us (me included) are not wealthy. PayPal is great because its safe and you can donate appropriately.

Another way is to give to a DX association that sponsors DXpeditions, like the Northern California DX Foundation or a local association. As in the NCDXF there really is no min. Sometimes its not the amount, but just the support.
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

The oqrs suggested minimum donation is $5?
http://www.rrwebsolutions.com/sablesupport.htm
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

The way I figure it re OQRS, it costs money to print and mail the card, and a cost for Paypal.  So something like $1.50 or so direct cost.  A $5 total helps maybe $3.50 towards the DXPedition.  Not big bucks, but helpful.  So, being retired, my personal minimum is $5.  I go to $10 if the DXPedition is one of those higher cost trips.   I also contribute $50 per year to Northern Calif DX Foundation for their support of DXPeditions.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »

Well, about 5 minutes after this QSO, I received a layoff notice from my company after 18 years. I will hurry the hell up before I run out of money! LOL
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »

I give a few bucks like $5 or so. It's all I can afford really. Having 3 kids isn't cheap.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »

I give a few bucks like $5 or so. It's all I can afford really. Having 3 kids isn't cheap.

You think they are expensive now Huh?

WAIT UNTYIL THEY BECOME TEENAGERS !!!!!!

Been there, done that...even have the CHEAP T-Shirt.

(Hope they are doing well)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

I almost always chip in a few extra on top of the charge for an ATNO (I usually only QSL direct for ATNO's). It helps towards financing the dxpedition and hopefully goes towards new ones.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

The way I figure it re OQRS, it costs money to print and mail the card, and a cost for Paypal.  So something like $1.50 or so direct cost.  A $5 total helps maybe $3.50 towards the DXPedition.  Not big bucks, but helpful.  So, being retired, my personal minimum is $5.  I go to $10 if the DXPedition is one of those higher cost trips.   I also contribute $50 per year to Northern Calif DX Foundation for their support of DXPeditions.

Same here.  I used to donate $20 to every DXpedition but now with mortgage in Honolulu and a 6 year old son, think that'll go to $5 each.  I donate $100/year to the NCDXF so hopefully that makes it to most DXpeditions.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: