Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-era FT-847?  (Read 2211 times)
N3CSA

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »

I guess there isn't a 2012 version of something like the Yaesu FT-847, all mode all bander?  I know the FT-897 and the mobile version of it are still made... but thinking of a base rig.  Oh, Icom does have the IC-9100, how does that compare?  Thanks!
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

Don't forget the Kenwood TS-2000.
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »

I was considering all of the possibilities mentioned above when I found my FT-847 for sale on QRZ. Prior to that, I'd had a borrowed 847 so getting the same radio for myself took away the learning curve. The newest versions of the 847 are about 10 years old now so they are a good buy when they come on the market. Patience is a virtue that also has benefits for your wallet.

If I were absolutely set on a new all-band/all-mode radio for strictly home use, I'd probably tend toward the Kenwood in the B model for total computer control.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

I was considering all of the possibilities mentioned above when I found my FT-847 for sale on QRZ. Prior to that, I'd had a borrowed 847 so getting the same radio for myself took away the learning curve. The newest versions of the 847 are about 10 years old now so they are a good buy when they come on the market. Patience is a virtue that also has benefits for your wallet.

If I were absolutely set on a new all-band/all-mode radio for strictly home use, I'd probably tend toward the Kenwood in the B model for total computer control.

I too had looked very seriously at a FT-847 a couple of years ago and got all the way up to finding one that was my pick to buy and then I did some last minute research and found that for all practicality, replacement finals in the FT-847 are non-existant and reportedly unobtainable from any source - unless your real lucky and find some place that just happens to have some new old stock available. For that reason and only that reason, I decided *reluctantly* to go a different route and obtained a TS-2000/X rig. Knowing my luck, I would have bought a used FT-847 on Monday only to have the finals fail on Friday, leaving me with a nice looking paperweight Sad

Since the target rig was to replace a kludged 6M setup with a more stable configuration, the TS-2000/X did that just fine and the price was VERY acceptable to me. Someday if I happen to have the means, I would like to do a A/B test between a FT-847 and my TS-2000/X just to authenticate the reports of the FT-847 being a much better radio than the TS-2000. It might be (and probably is) but I know I do like Kenwoods, always have and hopefully always will.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »

I have owned an FT-847 since 1999 or 2000 (bought mine new) and it is a great radio, especially for VHF/UHF weak signal.  For HF, it is average and for that reason, I only use it on VHF/UHF.  That being said, I recommended the TS-2000 in my previous post simply because it is still available, although it's technology is about the same vintage as the FT-847.  I've never had the opportunity to do the A/B test that W5DQ mentioned as I don't have a TS-2000, but it would be an interesting comparison. 

As far as finals go, as Gene, W5DQ stated, finals for the '847 can be difficult to locate. The HF final is a pair of 2SC5125 and the VHF final is a single 2SC5125.  That transistor is very difficult to find, but a 2SC2782 will substitute nicely with no other modifications, and is plentiful.  The UHF final is a single 2SC3102 and is also readily available.

All this being said, if you find an FT-847 for sale that's in good condition, and for a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one just for fear for the finals may go bad.  That possibility exists with any piece of gear, but at least with the FT-847, there are options to get it going again.  Something to watch out for with the FT-847 however is the dreaded power switch failure.  That problem can be a little more complex to resolve, but it is doable.

Good luck in your search.

Stephen
N5VTU
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »

Stephen - Thanks for that info on the transistor final cross match for the 847. Of course, I'm hoping I never have to go there but that's good to know. I've begun looking at some filter upgrades for the HF section on mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: