Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to and maybe controlling an SDR receiver over a home network?  (Read 3752 times)
2E0ILY

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »

I wish to be able to listen to, and ideally also control a Softrock Ensemble II receiver over a wired home network. I run it under Windows XP. I have never tried Windows Remote Desktop, will that work and does it pass audio across? I did use to use Real VNC but as far as I am aware it will not pass the audio signals. Ideally I'd like to have full control of the SDR, tuning, filtering, band switching etcetera, but would settle for just audio. I asked on the Softrock reflector but many ideas seemed quite complex. Has anyone used Remote deskto0p for this? Thanks.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »

http://sdr-radio.com/
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »

Sorry, I should have said I use, and want to continue to use HDSDR software. I find SDR-Radio very bloated with dubious add ons and quite unstable. I know it's a persoanl thing, but HDSDR has run none stop on this PC for months. I just want to be able to sit at another PC and it be as if I was on the one with HDSDR running. Thanks for the link though, much appreciated.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »

The main obstacle with, "and it be as if I was on the one with HDSDR running" is, for that to happen you would have to be streaming I/Q to the remote PC and decoding it directly with HDSDR, and be able to send HDSDR control data back to the host PC.

Otherwise, you could make do with a combination of Windows Remote Desktop and if you are good with hardware and audio settings, make it play audio on the remote PC, or, you could use Unreal Media Server on the host and Unreal Media Player on your remote PC. It's almost realtime audio. There are others. Teamspeak, etc. type apps, or even Skype. I believe Logmein also does remote audio.

The true remote SDR experience will require you to use something like SDR-Radio or the WebSdr software if you can get it. http://www.websdr.org/background.html

If you are using the Softrock at 48kHz, and you have a good home network, you MIGHT just be able to get away with using Windows Media Encoder, VLC, or similar to stream uncompressed PCM audio from the host to the remote PC for direct decoding with HDSDR. However, you would still be back to the need for away to send the control data back to the host PC, thus, Windows Remote Desktop.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:00:29 AM »

I wish to be able to listen to, and ideally also control a Softrock Ensemble II receiver over a wired home network. I run it under Windows XP. I have never tried Windows Remote Desktop, will that work and does it pass audio across? I did use to use Real VNC but as far as I am aware it will not pass the audio signals. Ideally I'd like to have full control of the SDR, tuning, filtering, band switching etcetera, but would settle for just audio. I asked on the Softrock reflector but many ideas seemed quite complex. Has anyone used Remote deskto0p for this? Thanks.

Use whatever remote desktop program you like.  A very popular one is TeamViewer and it is free for non-commercial use.

Either use Skype or VLC Media Player for remote audio.  Skype is easy to set up in auto answer mode for this.  VLC Media Player has an audio streaming server built in for streaming audio over the internet.  You can also control latency with VLC Media Player.  VLC Media Player is more difficult to set up, but once you get the hang of it, it will work well.

Forget about the bloated SDR-Radio and WebSdr (which you can't download anyway).
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »

Has anyone tried using a USB over ethernet extender with a Softrock? Just curious... It might give the control functionality, leaving only the audio stream backhaul to deal with.
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »

Thanks for the ideas, just a thought of mine, probably flawed, but what if I had the HPSDR software on the remote laptop and had a very long USB cable to have the Softrock receiver upstairs in my "shack" where the antenna comes into the house, and the long USB cable taking the place of the ethernet cable? Or can you get adapters to send USB down an existing ethernet cable?

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the ideas, just a thought of mine, probably flawed, but what if I had the HPSDR software on the remote laptop and had a very long USB cable to have the Softrock receiver upstairs in my "shack" where the antenna comes into the house, and the long USB cable taking the place of the ethernet cable? Or can you get adapters to send USB down an existing ethernet cable?

Yes. Sort of a clunky approach, but yes, you can do USB over CAT5 or CAT6. Make sure you get an adapter that is rated for AV use. Otherwise the latency will crash the whole thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: