Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up Clipperton  (Read 1762 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »

Here's an opportunity to help clean up the island as we "clean up" our band fills for this entity:
http://www.cordell.org/CI/CI_plastic/CI_plastic_main.html

Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »

Does all that crap wash up, was it left by previous visitors, or is it a combination of both?  It is disgusting and sad.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »

Agreed....... SICKNING,  kinda like some of the crap which washes up on the beaches here in Florida. The ocean is becoming one huge trash can. SOMEDAY it might get full (in the year 2525 Huh if man is stil alive). THEN what??

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

Agreed....... SICKNING,  kinda like some of the crap which washes up on the beaches here in Florida. The ocean is becoming one huge trash can. SOMEDAY it might get full (in the year 2525 Huh if man is stil alive). THEN what??

73, Gene AF3Y

You are a lot more optimistic than me. I'd put the odds at even money on humans lasting more than 100 years. 

Chris/NU1O
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »

Well I went ahead and donated $20 for a trash bag to help clean up Clipperton. I thought this was a good way to donate to the DX'pedition, and hopefully it will help show the US FWS that hams can be ecologically responsible. That's the only way we are going to get permission to visit some of the rare ones again like Navassa, Kingman, etc. So pitch in and lets clean up the island!

John K7KB
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »

NU1O asked:
Does all that crap wash up, was it left by previous visitors, or is it a combination of both?

I just returned from visiting my daughter who lives in Seattle.  She said that plastic trash is arriving on the beaches of Washington, and that much of it is from the 2011 Tsunami.  I've also heard of large eddies of plastic waste that have been forming for years in the Pacific.

Chuck  NI0C
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

One of the reasons I dont go in the ocean anymore.  Several years ago, I was swimming at Tybee Island (Savannah Beach, Ga), when I felt something on my shoulder. I grabbed it, and you guessed it..... a condom. Shocked

I love the beaches, but dont go in the water any longer.  73, Gene AF3Y
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »

I'll make a donation in a few days.  It's sickening to see all that trash on the beaches and we have 'em here too in Hawaii.  I wonder if the trash from the Japan Tsunami ever made it there.  We're starting to get some here.  The first several monts ago was a huge plastic bin fisherman put their catch in and the second was a piece of a concrete boat pier.

These islands are in much worse shape since most are uninhabited so the trash will stay until a expedition comes along to remove them.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »

I saw pictures on the boob-tube about a month ago of trash nearing the West Coast from the Tsunami which hit Japan.

When I was a young boy I used to go on the Party fishing boats at Cape Cod.  They would often throw large amounts of trash overboard into the Ocean.  If I was only 12 and knew that was wrong how didn't the adults throwing the trash into the sea?  Then, about 25 years ago myself, an uncle and some of his friends rented a boat to go ocean fishing in Long Island Sound.  Long Island Sound was just one big garbage dump all those years ago. I would hate to see what it looks like now.

Gene, we have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world on Cape Cod but I stopped swimming at the Cape a long time ago. I've been going to the Gold Coast in Florida since I was a Freshman in college and those beaches are simply beautiful, as well, but I will not swim there.

My only question is how much can possible be cleaned up at Clipperton when that is just a secondary mission?  They would need about 100 people doing nothing but cleaning up trash and where is the money for that that going to come from for a crew that size soley devoted to cleaning the trash?  I will admit I was against many of the "investments" Obama made with the stimulus money but this Conservative would have applauded if stimulus money was used to clean up these islands even though many are not US territory.

Chris/NU1O
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »

I would go Grin

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »

Here's an opportunity to help clean up the island as we "clean up" our band fills for this entity:
http://www.cordell.org/CI/CI_plastic/CI_plastic_main.html

Chuck  NI0C

I just read the whole piece.  If their primary mission is science and DXing how much time is going to be spent picking up garbage?  Will it be 10%, 20%?  I highly doubt the time spent cleaning up can approach anything like 50% or the primary purpose, which is science and the radio will suffer.  Has time already being allocated to cleaning up or will that just happen when people get around to it? Most of these people are going to be in their 40's, 50's, 60's and even 70's.  Are they in the physical shape needed to do their own work plus do cleanup work on a hot tropical island? We all know how tired and run down they got on Swain's where even making a trip to the next tent was a real chore and the trip was cut short by a few days. I know we have to start somewhere but right now this just looks like a PR stunt to help defray the cost of the trip.

The other question I have is do the islands under the jurisdiction of the USFWS, such as Kingmam and Navassa Reef have the same problem as Clipperton? Namely, a lot of garbage laying all over the island?  I ask because if they don't this plan is not going to give hams access to those islands.

I really dislike coming across as a party pooper but somebody has to ask tough questions and play devil's advocate and I don't see anybody else doing it.  Let me unequivocally state I am all for cleaning up this island, but if they create a lot of publicity about cleaning up the island and hardly make a dent in it, this could very well backfire.  Those who donated and the French government are going to want to know what happened to the cleanup money, or why the island wasn't cleaned up.

I am going to make a donation to the DXpedition and whether I donate to cleanup bags on another trip will entirely depend upon how this one goes.  I think that is fair.

Chris/NU1O

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 02:09:55 AM »

I really dislike coming across as a party pooper but

Too late!  Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

Most of these people are going to be in their 40's, 50's, 60's and even 70's.  Are they in the physical shape needed to do their own work plus do cleanup work on a hot tropical island?

I have met the team, and the answer is yes. Anyone who isn't in this kind of shape shouldn't go. I'm 53 and have lost 30 pounds since March because I was worried that I was getting a bit too "Ham Sexy". The extra weight gave me pain in the knees and back - and now that is all totally gone. I wouldn't have been in good enough shape back in March - but now riding my bike 100 miles a week - I am back in good shape. This is a really important topic / issue - especially in the US of A.

The other question I have is do the islands under the jurisdiction of the USFWS, such as Kingmam and Navassa Reef have the same problem as Clipperton? Namely, a lot of garbage laying all over the island?  I ask because if they don't this plan is not going to give hams access to those islands.

Yes - absolutely. We are trashing our fishing grounds, beaches and habitats to the point where our natural food supply is dwindling. Its another important issue - and goes well beyond just food supply - but a graphic one.

I am going to make a donation to the DXpedition and whether I donate to cleanup bags on another trip will entirely depend upon how this one goes.  I think that is fair.
I think the Cordell DX-peditions are doing something that shows respect for the planet and nature and raises awareness. While it may seem like a symbolic gesture - I can assure you that the organizers are genuine and not pulling any stunts and that raising awareness is a win-win situation for hams, the US F&W, the agencies tasked to protect these habitats (read up on the Campbell Island and New Zealand efforts to rid the islands of invasive species for a really good success story).

Showing the world that we aren't just using these islands for our hobby - as we walk past such debris is at the very least a gesture that really means something. Caring should never go out of style - because - like Campbell Island - it can lead to success. I feel honored that even with restrictions - hams can go to Cambell Island. That means a lot.

I can only hope and pray that the US F&W see's how the K5D team and the ZL9HR and ZL9CI teams "play well" in protected environments. Else - you won't see any of these activated again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:46:48 AM by KY6R » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »

KY6R wrote:
Showing the world that we aren't just using these islands for our hobby - as we walk past such debris is at the very least a gesture that really means something. Caring should never go out of style - because - like Campbell Island - it can lead to success. I feel honored that even with restrictions - hams can go to Campbell Island. That means a lot.

Well said, Rich!

Since I don't need Clipperton on any of the bands or modes I operate, I found this cleanup operation a perfect way to contribute to the cause.  Wish I were able to go there myself.

Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »

Hi Rich,

You never answered my question as to how the garbage got on Clipperton in the first place.  I looked at the pictures and saw a package of plastic ties all neatly grouped together. I have a feeling some of the garbage you will be picking up was left by previous hams and that maybe the reason why the Fish and Wildlife Service is so hesitant to let hams on their islands.

I had a cousin over for dinner today who was in the military and who really knows his geography. He has heard of Heard Island and says he seriously doubts ocean currents washed up debris on that island but he is not an expert on ocean currents.  Is there a lot of garbage on Heard Island and, if so, how did it get there?

I have no doubt you are sincere but I still think it's very unrealistic to expect a significant number of people to pay a large sum of money for the sole purpose of cleaning up some remote island which I assume is Heard Island.  When the first person writes out a check I hope you'll post it here in the forum.  Remember, this can't be a person who will spend half the time on the radio and half on the cleaning detail.  You asserted the planners (I think it was for Heard) fully expect to raise a significant amount from people whose sole job will be picking up garbage.  I really hope I am wrong but we'll find out in the next year.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: