Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is 72?  (Read 8942 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »

I would guess that 75% of my QSOs end with the "shave and a haircut" thing. I often send it and I often have it sent to me. But probably 95% of my QSOs end with the dit dit. Even DX stations.

Does anyone know what the story is on the guy that sends like a little tune in CW on 40 meters ? I have always been doing something over on the workbench when I heard it and didn't give it my full attention. Then afterwards I regret not having payed better attention. I last heard it a week or so ago and I can't even remember the tune. I had the impression that he was ending a QSO. He sends what sounds like a little tune and repeats it several times.
 I have heard it more than once, I don't remember where but some where around 7.040 (I think slightly lower than that). I am thinking it is some kind of net, or club.
It's kind of cool. I think it is in the afternoon maybe around 3:00 EST (around that time of afternoon).

Ken
AB8KT
Toronto, Ohio

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »

I know the guy that you are talking about.  He sends machine perfect code with a straight key.  Can't remember his call though.  He's sending something like "BENS BEST BENT WIRE"  but there's more to it than that.  He told me once that it was a practice thing.  I've heard him use it many times when the bands are dead and no one is answering.  He'll include the whole ditty in his CQ call.  One of the best fists I've ever copied...

cheers

mike AA4N
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

Ha
That might be it. I have been sitting here sending that. It's fun even if that isn't him.

Ken
AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

That would be Bill, W9ZN. He's a broadcast engineer and ex navy man.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »

Oh, that is definitely it.
I can't stop sending it now. I am addicted.

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »

That would be Bill, W9ZN. He's a broadcast engineer and ex navy man.

Yep, I've heard him on the air frequently in the evenings on 40 here in Oakland CA. Always a nice signal and a wonderful fist. And when I first heard his musical number it really tickled me. Now I know just what it is. "Bens best bent wire" is much more interesting than "CQ" and probably will get you more replies.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »

Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv-jkiLhe8k
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »

Can't appreciate that. May be kind of music but interpreted as Morse code it is really bad.

UU22UU or whatever is one large bunch of dots and dashes without a letter space, so multi interpretable.
There are no word spaces in the text only letter spaces, and _wire_ is not sent because there is no letter space between w and i and hence it is possibly wi but also possible ez or ad or pe

So making music is one thing but doing that kind of entertainment by mutilating Morse code is another  thing, that makes such a kind of fist very hard and tiring to copy.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:57 AM »

Can't appreciate that. May be kind of music but interpreted as Morse code it is really bad.

UU22UU or whatever is one large bunch of dots and dashes without a letter space, so multi interpretable.
There are no word spaces in the text only letter spaces, and _wire_ is not sent because there is no letter space between w and i and hence it is possibly wi but also possible ez or ad or pe

So making music is one thing but doing that kind of entertainment by mutilating Morse code is another  thing, that makes such a kind of fist very hard and tiring to copy.

Te He, you've missed the point, it's not meant to be readable morse code.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Yeah, after someone posted what it was, I Googled it and found numerous references to it including that video.

MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

It's the QRP version of 73. Do more with less.

ok so whats the emcomm version? or mars version? on freeband version?

73 is 73.

73, chuck
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »

Roll Eyes

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: