Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Board Meetings open?  (Read 61262 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »

Just taking stock here of how clubs govern themselves...

If you're a member of a local amateur radio club, are your Board meetings open to the membership? the public? or closed? Huh

Frank
K4FMH
Assistant Director, Delta Division, ARRL
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

They were open in as much as the room was open for members to enter and wait until the general meeting commenced but the commotion created by the members showing up and chatting in the back of the room created such a distraction that the board chose to close them, asking the members to wait outside the room until the board meeting was over. The board meets 30 minutes prior to the start of the general meeting. I would suppose that anyone that actually wants to LISTEN to the board but not speak would be allowed to sit in the room the board doesn't make financial decision without bringing it tothe membership for a vote for anything over $200. This way the board can proceed thru their agenda quickly and be ready for the general meeting.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »

Trident Amateur Radio Club, Charleston, SC, board meetings are held on the first Monday of the month and are open to the general membership.  General meetings are held on the third Monday.
TF3JB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »

Thank you for a most interesting topic. I wonder about the open board meetings in Charleston, SC, what is the average attendance of the general membership to the meetings?

73 de TF3JB.
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »

I am a board member of the Burlington County (NJ) Radio Club. Our board meetings are open to any club member. We rarely get any visitors. We reserve the right not to discuss "sensitive issues" with visitors present.

73, Bob K2QPN
WB8UDA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »

We have an open Board meeting and then a membership meeting after. We use Roberts Rules of Order. Check your clubs' ByLaws and also try attending a Board Meeting...if they ask me to leave....OK ... I would not join the Club.
Ask, look around

Fred WB8UDA
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

Any other comments about the "openness" of club Boards of Directors? How about club leadership in general?

Frank
K4FMH
KZ6T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »

Our Club (K6SON) has separate membership and BOD meetings.  The BOD meetings are open to all members however I doubt if anyone would object to a non-member showing up.  We have a regular group of Board watchers show up and except for actually voting they are able to voice their opinions (and they do)  an any subject that is put forth.  We do however reserve the right to go into closed meetings if necessary.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »

I was on the board for W2MMD Gloucester County Amateur Radio Club. The board meetings were not open to the public, but we were not sticklers in case someone wanted to attend. The minutes were always read at the next general meeting anyway.

To be honest, we have enough trouble getting 25% attendance to the general meeting, let alone having someone show up to the board meeting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:17:28 PM by N4NYY » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »

Thanks for the replies, all!

What has been your experience with club leadership? That is, what styles of leadership have or have not worked in the clubs you've attended?

Frank
K4FMH
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

I am a Director on the Board of the Daytona Beach Amateur Radio Association.  Our meeting is on a different night then the club meeting.  The meeting is open to all club members, but there are only a very few that attend the board meeting even remotely regularly.

Tom, NW0LF
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »

I think the board meetings have been open for every radio club I can remember.
But rarely were there any visitors, unless there was a specific topic up for
discussion.

Board meetings were nearly always on a different night than the membership
meeting, so there was no overlap.

At one point we did come up with a way to keep the board meetings short:  most
of the board members were transmitter hunters, so we scheduled a transmitter
hunt after the board meeting.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »

WB6BYU,

Thanks for the post. One reason I ask this is that I am directly aware of one ARC Board which has an ad hoc (not in By-Laws) rule that no Board business can be discussed outside of the Board meeting which is usually closed except for an occasional committee chairperson or two. Thus far, the posts here have suggested that this is in an extreme minority operating position!

Frank
K4FMH
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:21 AM »

Our club has had open Board meeting, but no one ever showed.  Quite frankly, I think members waste too much time with discussions.  For example we decided to reduce the annual dues for the club's anniversary by 50% - a one time thing for 2013; ever after they would go back to original amount. So, it came up for a vote at the meeting and after lengthy discussion the membership voted for the original amount instead of a 50% reduction for 2013 ! The idea was that there was too much money in the treasury and that was completely missed.   ...  After this I don't think members should be allowed to attend Board meetings unless they have duct tape over their mouths.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:12 AM »

Personally, I believe that board meeting should be open to members who want to attend.
As noted , due to overall apathy, very few if any will show up anyway.
Otherwise, there is the perception that the board acts as a "secret society" within the club.
This can cause a disconnect between the membership and the leadership if a small group is setting the coarse with no input from the rest of the members.
"Absolute power corrupts, absolutely"... even in radio clubs!
I've seen it happen.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: