Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some advice on a radio purchase. " Icom IC-701 10-160M H.F."  (Read 3956 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »

Well,
    I purchased the radio for 50.00 ! with the matching power supply, complete
I could not pass on the 50.00 price..What do you guy's think  Roll Eyes
73's
N3QOU
Rick

Even if you toss the radio, the supply was worth the money. You may even be able to re-sell it for a "parts rig". You did good.

N3QOU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »

but I don't appreciate you telling me to head to the Goodwill (charity) was an insult to me.I will choose more carefully what I ask.

Well I'm healthy, pretty darn wealthy, a lawyer by education and president of my own company for 40 years. I've gone into Goodwill stores to see what they had in the way of electronics. Parked my Infiniti next to an even nicer car.  Goodwill is red hot now!

But I did wonder what I'd say if I bumped into someone from high school.

I was too was a working professional worked all my life,Also a working musician Own my own home put one daughter though college,working on the other one. Smiley  but that all came to a very abrupt stop.I guess my point is I am a proud father,person.For now this will have to do with like everyone else other things come first.I have donated so many items though out the years.I very highly doubt I would find any SW,or ham equipment at the goodwill.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »

Quote from: N3QOU
I don't appreciate you telling me to head to the goodwill  (charity) was an insult to me.  I will choose more carefully what I ask.
Richard -

IF you want to FLIP the IC-701 to make $$, then do that.  
Hamfests are full of Flippers these days (no real interest in radio),
 some just want the $$, others are raising cash to buy new Asian radio.

My first job, long ago, was in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton region.  
So, I can understand your preconceived notion that local Goodwill, Thrift Stores, or Salvation Army may be "junk stores", etc.  You have also stated that your "pride" is involved in not being seen at these stores.

That is NOT true NATIONALLY.
Quote from: N3QOU
I very highly doubt I would find any SW,or ham equipment at the goodwill.
1. Antiques Roadshow (PBS), have consistently shown $$$ in rare collectables at these stores.
In fact, some stores, in well to do areas are packed -- almost like gold hunters!
eBay Flippers and "radio equip sellers" are REGULARLY seen at these stores and weekend garage sales, auctions, and estate sales.  Where did you think that over-priced ham gear on eBay was coming from?  They bought it at pennies on the dollar.  CAPITALISM  

2. Estates of MANY former radio amateurs (WW2, Korea, Vietnam) are being sent to these stores by descendants -- that have NO interest in radio or electronics.  Some corporations now send their surplus to these stores.  What stores get these does vary based on your area.
I am aware of a radio collector who passed, collection value was easily > $30,000.
Kids did not care -- turned down cash offers -- did not send to thrift store --- they sent the collection to the local waste crusher (They did not like technology or "Dad's hobby").

3. Still not convinced?  
Dave, W7UUU was at the local St. Vincent DePaul thrift store earlier this week.
He posted his story on January 7th at QRZ, read it.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?374886-What-a-delightful-little-find-at-St-Vincent-DePaul-thrift-store!

4. Now I have disclosed one of my sources for used test equipment and radios --
broken ones are repaired and I use or resell if redundant to current equipment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:23:58 AM by W9GB » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »

I never got lucky at Goodwill (although I found a fabulous T-shirt there for $5 that I proudly wear because it has a really funny graphic on it) with radio stuff, but just walking around the neighborhood early on Saturday morning and scanning garage sales, I've been amazed at what is there.

A neighbor a few blocks away had a Hallicrafters Super Skyrider receiver (1940s vintage), plugged in, connected to a big speaker, and working.  He was asking $100 for it (these are worth more than that, if they work!), I offered $25.  We finally settled on $65, and I had to come back with my car to get it because I wasn't going to carry that load a few blocks.  But that was a real find!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »

Being in Scranton, he is next door to Tobyhanna Army Depot.
http://www.tobyhanna.army.mil/

Although it has been threatened with closure a few times --- it is still open.
Restoring Electronics and Radios for the U.S. Military.

REGULARLY listed in government surplus auctions (test equipment, radios), sometimes by the palette.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:10:13 PM by W9GB » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

Being in Scranton, he is next door to Tobyhanna Army Depot.
http://www.tobyhanna.army.mil/

Although it has been threatened with closure a few times --- it is still open.
Restoring Electronics and Radios for the U.S. Military.

REGULARLY listed in government surplus auctions (test equipment, radios), sometimes by the palette.

Funny story about Tobyhanna: I've been there many times, when I used to live in NJ and was doing defense contract work.

THAT was the place I found (in about 1977) a guy in Incoming Inspection testing fuses.  No kidding, he was testing fuses for incoming inspection.  He'd take 1A fuses, and apply 2A to them.  After several seconds, the fuse would open, and he'd mark that down as "passed," and place it in a bin marked "GOOD."

I swear, that actually happened.  I was keeling over with laughter but made my way out the door to my car.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: