Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80 meter horsefence dipole  (Read 2581 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »

The "horse fence" is a wide plastic webbing with multiple thin strands of wire running through
it.  It is used for electric fences:  this allows the webbing to take the strain (especially as it
flutters in the wind) while the individual strands provide the conductivity.  Splices in fences
are typically made by knotting the webbing multiple times together and hoping that enough
of the wires touch each other.  Several similar types are available, including a round plastic
rope with a metal strands in it.  This provides higher strength with less weight and cost
than standard electric fence wire.

And, like most other electric fence material, it can be used for ham antennas.

In this discussion I learned that (at least some types) use stainless wire strands instead
of galvanized steel.

The antenna appears to be well built, with custom brackets to hold the tape at each end
and make contact to the individual wires.  The wider tape will improve the SWR bandwidth
somewhat over a single-wire dipole.  In this regard there isn't anything wrong with the
product - it should work just as claimed.

The only practical issue would be the use of thin wires on 80m (where the skin depth is
more important) will increase the losses somewhat, though probably not enough to notice. 
That also contributes to the wider SWR bandwidth.  In may cases that may be an
acceptable compromise.

The one questionable claim that I can find on the website is that the wind loading is low:
the wider tape will have much more wind loading than a single wire, and will tend to flutter
in the wind, which may tend to flex and weaken the individual wire strands.

For an 80m dipole with a wide SWR bandwidth, it might not be a bad choice.  For multiband
use with ladder line to a tuner, I'd choose standard wire instead from a mechanical
perspective.
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »

I just went to website and found why I thought antenna was multi-band.  Down the page a ways it says:
2" inches wide for 10-20-40-80 meters no tuner needed.

Now I see on down the page for ordering it shows it's a single band antenna. 

I agree, the wind loading WILL be a good bit more than a single wire.  Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

73 de Ken H>
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: