The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft 215WB  (Read 1465 times)
VE1CZ

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

Hello folks and I hope everyone is ready for the perfect storm!
I have an old Cushcraft 215WB that I am getting ready to put on 2 meters SSB and CW.My problem is that the elements are shorter than what are specified from the manual I downloaded from their site.Has anyone ever had one of these antennas and is it possible that Cushcraft made a version for higher in the band with shorter elements??
Tnx Bob VE1CZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »

The parasitic elements should range from 40-3/16" down to 34-5/8" and they don't taper precisely in order down the boom.

What do your elements measure?
VE1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

Tnx for the quick reply.Well mine are definitely shorter,longest is 39 3/8 and the shortest is 34 1/4,and the rest are somewhat close to what the manual states but still shorter so it seems like it may have been a custom cut to work higher in the band.Now the decision is to either find a way to extend them or order the proper ones cut for a bit lower in freq. Sad from Cushcraft/MFJ!
Tnx Bob VE1CZ
VE1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

Well the decision is made,I will be converting the antenna into a Cushcraft 13B2,elements and spacings are very close,hope it works fine,tnx for the input.
Bob VE1CZ Smiley
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:04 AM »

Bob,

While it has not been up in quite a while, I have a 13B2 and was very pleased with it.  I had it up with El/Az rotors for Sat work on a cross boom along with a 719B for 440 MHz.  I decided that since SSB/CW was all horizontal pol, local FM all vertical and the birds circular, I mounted mine (both) with the elements at 45 degrees.  That way it gives up 3 dB to everybody, but there was plenty of gain to go around.  Worked like a champ.

Don, K2DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: