Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1940s Dancer Eleanor Powell Taps Code  (Read 551 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »

Fabulous 1940's tap dancer, Eleanor Powell, hoofs  real 13 wpm Morse in "Ship Ahoy" with Red Skelton and Bert Lahr. Very young Frank Sinatra was also in that rarely-shown film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJAlgfkDKro

Can you send Morse with your feet? Not easy!

AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »

I can copy pretty well, but that was difficult for me. got 1/2 of it I'd say.

I'm a drummer and a long time cw freak and I see the parallels between those two clearly.

Something I play around with on my drumset: I try to assign the dit and dah between different limbs. left hand is hitting a snare drum and it's playing dits. right foot is on a bass drum and it is assigned the dahs. with my right hand, I'm tapping out a cymbal beat and my left foot is playing a shaker/tamborine pattern.

very challenging, but it gets the brain working in the morning!

I'd like to try wiring up a pair of footpedals (used with a keyer) under my radio desk for handsfree cw.

There is a song by the group Rush, called YYZ. the rhythm of the song theme is comprised of those letters in code.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »

quote, "There is a song by the group Rush, called YYZ. the rhythm of the song theme is comprised of those letters in code. "

I never noticed that. <listening to recall> I can "hear" it now. Wow. My recall suggests not only are the notes short and long, but the "dahs" are a major 4th above the "dits." That pitch scheme may invert in some passages.

Seems like I also hear (in the mental playback) some TAYM and other variations on the theme. Great syncopation.

Now I have to go find that CD and listen to it. Time to drive the Red Barcetta home.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »

Correction, that is an augmented 4th interval.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »

"song by the group Rush, called YYZ. the rhythm of the song theme is comprised of those letters in code."

I'd never heard of Rush, but my sons agree they're a big deal now, and so is that song. YYZ is the airport code for Toronto, the band's home.

--
As for Eleanor Powell's "fist." I could find nothing  to suggest she actually knew code.  She, and also Ginger Rogers, often teamed with Fred Astaire.

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:19:58 PM »

quote, "I'd never heard of Rush, but my sons agree they're a big deal now, and so is that song."

Psssst...<whispering> That song was released in 1981, and Rush has had a following since the mid-70's.

They have withstood the test of time for more than three decades now, and they are still delivering new material.

They are perhaps best recognized for their level of technical accuracy, musically.

They'd make great Morse code operators.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

"Psssst...<whispering> That song was released in 1981, and Rush has had a following since the mid-70's."

Yikes! [feeling VERY old and out of touch].
I'll slink out of here now and go back to reading posts about my favorite eham topic... Aerials. Smiley
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

Wonder how many people who don't live in L.A. know this one:

>Capital Records was the first record company based on the west coast. John Lennon's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is just outside the Capital Records building, appropriate as The Beatles were one of the acts promoted by Capital Records along with the Beach Boys, Duran Duran, Bob Seger, Bonnie Raitt and Frank Sinatra.

The world's first circular office building was designed to resemble a stack of 45 RPM records and was recently instantly renovated to resemble a stack of CDs—at zero cost. The 13-story high-rise Capitol Records Building is an office building with no public tours but you can view many gold records on display in the small lobby. The red light at the end of the spire on top of the building blinks the word “Hollywood” in Morse code all night long.<

...and it sure does.

WB2WIK/6
AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:54:40 AM »

wow, sorry I derailed the topic on this thread!

Rush are a great band, by far, my favorite of the major touring bands that play the big 'sheds'. I saw them on the last show of the current tour last week. awesome. I played 40 and 20 cw on the way to and from the show too!

I knew code when I first heard YYZ, but I didn't make the connection right away either. The dits and dahs are kind of 'swung' somewhat and it's not as 'straight' as regular cw coming from a keyer. it's more like a bug operator (like me) hee hee!

Another great song of theirs is The Spirit Of Radio. I always try to be playing this as I'm pulling into a hamfest or setting up my tailgate spot in the parking lot!

Rush have stood the test of time, still pack large venues, still make great NEW music and they have enriched my life in numerous ways.

ok, back to radio topics!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: