Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W8JI - Is it worth buying a new Ameritron AL-80B?  (Read 23952 times)
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »

I agree, MFJ (and companies) provide a decent product for the price.  The AL-82 I purchased a yr ago was just fine....  well, I did have to tweak a couple input coils, but that's not a big deal - minor tweaks like shouldn't be a problem, after all, this is a technical hobby...... isn't it?

Ken
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »

The final tester for the AL12 series line (AL82,1200,1500) and AL8x line (Al800,AL80B) is a different person than the tester for the AL811 and AL811H line. They are two different lines with different testers.

I'm looking at statistics for differences between those lines, excluding issues that would not be a testing issue (like shipping damage, infant relay receive issues, or bad tubes).

I really do not have any comment beyond that, except the failure rates seem very reasonable on the 80B line.
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »

WOW!  Every time I read stuff like this I am so very glad I saved up a while longer and bought my amplifier from Ten Tec.  QC?  You bet.  Works out of the box?  Yes Sir!  Need to send it back?  Nope.  Same with other people?  Near as I can tell by reading columns like this one.  !00% perfect track record?  No - I have seen one or two gripes.  Ever see many Ten Tec amps for sale used?  NOT MANY.  Ever see many Ameritron amps for sale used?  YOU SURE DO!  AND THAT TELLS THE WHOLE STORY.  Save your money a while longer.
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:30 AM »

I really do not have any comment beyond that, except the failure rates seem very reasonable on the 80B line.

Tom - Regarding your above statement, how do you know the actual failure rate, since it's been shown here that many defective Ameritron amps are fixed without the involvement of MFJ?

Awaiting your reply,

Steve
NN4X
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 05:29:21 AM »

Tom - Regarding your above statement, how do you know the actual failure rate, since it's been shown here that many defective Ameritron amps are fixed without the involvement of MFJ?

Awaiting your reply,

Steve
NN4X

I don't know what you mean by:

it's been shown here that many defective Ameritron amps are fixed without the involvement of MFJ?

Do you mean the statements by the fellow in Florida?
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »

Hi Tom -

Well, I'm in Florida too, but I'll make an assumption that you're referring to N4ATS.

I'm actually referring to the many, many, MANY posts one finds here in the eHam forums, where users report various problems with MFJ products, but which they fixed outside of the warranty repair channel, and you chose to ignore when referenced.

That said, it would greatly add to your credibility if you would acknowleddge that, without knowing those figures, the actual warranty statistics cannot be accurately determined.

It's just math, after all. 

Steve
NN4X
Another Fellow in Florida  Smiley
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »

While I took the stand with Tom and agree'd that I do not record the failures as I should and can't add to his numbers with facts based on verbals , I am now recording everything MFJ related and am sure the numbers will reflect the truth to come...

However another troublemaker fixing his own...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/256
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »

I'm actually referring to the many, many, MANY posts one finds here in the eHam forums, where users report various problems with MFJ products ...

Nobody posts when their equipment is working as expected.

paul
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »

I have used an AL-80A for well over 20 years and it's done exactly what it was designed to do, which is to supply medium power RF at a reasonable price. I don't baby it but neither do I abuse it.I've used it for contesting and long winded rag chewing and it still puts out 800+ from the original tube, which my records show is exactly what it put out when it was new.I know how to operate an amp and it never arcs or spits or does does any of the nasty things that others claim will befall all (unmodified!) amps. One of the reasons there may be more reported problems is just due to the sheer number of Ameritrons that have been sold.If they were really that bad, it would be reflected in their sales.In the event that I ever need another amp(unlikely) I will not hesitate to buy another Ameritron, new or used.So just buy one and enjoy!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

While I took the stand with Tom and agree'd that I do not record the failures as I should and can't add to his numbers with facts based on verbals , I am now recording everything MFJ related and am sure the numbers will reflect the truth to come...

However another troublemaker fixing his own...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/256

Collecting anecdotal information from internet forums is a lousy way to make an empirical argument.  It's kind of like calling Entertainment Tonight an investigative journalism program.   
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »

Hi Tom -

Well, I'm in Florida too, but I'll make an assumption that you're referring to N4ATS.

I'm actually referring to the many, many, MANY posts one finds here in the eHam forums, where users report various problems with MFJ products, but which they fixed outside of the warranty repair channel, and you chose to ignore when referenced.

That said, it would greatly add to your credibility if you would acknowleddge that, without knowing those figures, the actual warranty statistics cannot be accurately determined.

It's just math, after all.  

Steve
NN4X
Another Fellow in Florida  Smiley

It's just math, but some people obviously have a real problem understanding how statistical math works. They think a dozen things or a few dozen problems out of 10,000 or 20,000 in service implies no QC at all.

There isn't much anyone can do with people who use illogical, irrational, numbers or arguments to indict or insult other people's credibility.

If I do nothing but supply facts, yet still someone will say something weird like this:

Of course they can be determined, not precisely, but close enough to know what is going on. AES even supplied information of the number of units that went to a local source, but the actual sales volume of AES Orlando is so low to be statistically meaningless in overall volume. That store represents just a few percent of sales.  

What is really bizarre about this is the person with the smallest most inaccurate sample, or people like you with no data at all, are the most authoritative and vocal about having usable data!!! Even to the point of calling other people uncredible.

One fellow down there flip-flops over and over on his data. Even the store disagreed with him.

That's pretty weird, if we think about it. It's almost like a personal campaign where people go out of their way, and even flip flop and cook meaningless data, just to damage someone.

73 Tom

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »

"One fellow down there flip-flops over and over on his data. Even the store disagreed with him."

I told you over and over and over , the data from the store and my side line was NOT recorded , MY FAULT. Get over that

The bottom line , I am recording data now.

We do not want to go back to where we started.

BTW , the comment above about folks "not" putting comments on eHam about "working" equipment it untrue or all the ratings for MFJ would be zero

If you look at any rating , its not zero , and it may not be 5, it is somewhere in-between. However I do agree with Tom that there are a few that are really not a rating at all , so rule some out

But to that point , even if Tom disagrees I believe that the majority of the ratings ARE in fact from intelligent people. I think most people are....

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:27:22 AM by N4ATS » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »

Eham equipment reviews? Let's compare apples to apples with the Ameritron AL-82 and the Ten Tec Centurion; amps that both have two 3-500Z tubes.  

The AL-82 gets a 4.8/5 in 36 reviews

The Centurion gets a 4.9/5 in 54 reviews

What can we infer from this?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:08:36 PM by WX7G » Logged
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

Eham equipment reviews? Let's compare apples to apples with the Ameritron AL-82 and the Ten Tec Centurion; amps that both have two 3-500Z tubes.  

The AL-82 gets a 4.8/5 in 36 reviews

The Centurion gets a 4.9/5 in 54 reviews

What can we infer from this?

That question reminds me of an add currently running where college students are shown I believe relative signal strengths between different cell providers and asking them "which one they would choose".

Nothing of any statistical reliability can be inferred from what you posted.  I'm hoping you already knew that.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

I am sure that he knows however I assure you , most people look at reviews before purchasing something (ham or other). I know I do. Statistics or no-statistics , the reader will flow towards the review with the most positive ratings. Its human nature.

Reviews can drive or crash a product, service or purchase , no doubt....
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: