Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most important to least important electrostatic discharge protection measures.  (Read 1423 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »

My IC7600 has gone back to the shop  three times for  loss of rf power output.  Twice ICOM blamed it on estat discharge taking out an integrated circuit chip in the rf board.

I have the existing protection: 
1. three bonded ground rods, one at the AC main breaker panel, one just outside the shack, and one at the  DX Engineering CC8 remote antenna switch  where all the coax enters the house ( coax runs along the ground  to the house.)
2. The DXE CC-8  relay box is itself directly grounded. Hence all coax outer braids are continuously grounded very near where they enter the house.
3. When not in use, I  deenergize  the DXE control unit, which grounds the center conductors.
4. a grounded arc plug arrestor  3 ft from the IC7600.
5.  surge protection on the IC7600 ac power line itself.
6. estat dissipation consisting of a 50k ohm 1 watt resistor on a tee connector, from center connector to ground, where the coax connects to the IC7600. This bleeds off rain/snow static I frequently experience, with noise levels of up to 20/9.

The only unprotected lines coming into the house are:
- a 25 ft run of coax from a 5 el yagi for 6m, just 15'  above ground, which connects to the unused coax connector ( rig has two coax  connectors)
-250 ft of wire feeding a dc relay on my 40m 2 el phased array, and running to an on-off switch in the shack..

One more thing. I live in a rural area prone to frequent power interruptions, mostly  just long enough to blink the lights. Maybe a dozen times a year we get to see either an extended outage, or  2-3  automatic reset attempts by the utility circuit breakers, when they trip out.

Any ideas or thoughts on whats happening would be appreciated.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »

Items 1 thru 6 have little value for ESD.  What is the desk made of?  If plastic or wood, consider a metal desk or a sheet metal top.  Carpeting?  what is your humidity level?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: