Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RemoteHams  (Read 23544 times)
ZL2TZE

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

Hi all,
        I have a Remote station in ZL in the Top of the South Island .. I use a Kenwood TS 590s
with   http://remotehams.com     server software the clien software is also available.

Its  small station just about in town with wire antennas ( speedrite electric fence braid ) check it out on QRZ
Improvements will happen as time goes on .. Been active remote station for about 2 months with over 4000 hits 100 users ..

Changes are about to happen if you want to check it out grab the client software connect and
test it .
Please always read the 1st screen when you log on .. This is the Main info area of the station ..
When using this remote please sign your call / R  ( remote )

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE
(ZL2U)

KC9SGV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:24 AM »

I agree.

I have been playing with remoting my ham radio staion for a number years to connect to via my laptop during my travels for work.

On VHF I use Echolink and IRLP, but for HF I now found www.remotehams.com
This is by far the easiest solution on the web today and is in constant development now.

Download the FREE client software and/or the FREE server software for Windows and start playing with a growing number of about 25 HF stations worldwide for now

Ask to tune first, and if no response is received, start tuning.
This is done by direct entry or by pointing and clicking on the digits or by grabbing and dragging the tuning knob around.
Remember you will share the station with many other hams, but usually you will be the only one there.

To get transmit privileges, you have to ask for permission and a copy of your licence will be uploaded to the server operator station (sysop).

The software has it's own VOIP client, or you can use a FREE Skype
computer to computer call.
Skype also allows for a live video link to some stations and will connect automatically.

The server software allows for a 3 minute timeout timer to guard against stuck mikes etc.

Identify as "Yourcall operating the Servercall Remote."
Please disconnect when you are done.

Best 73,
KC9SGV
Sysop - KC9SGV Remote
Chicago.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

Hi,

I tried the remoteham.com software and it does work well. I had it up and running in minutes. For a newbie this would probably be your best best for a fast, easy-to-setup remote solution.

I did notice a slight delay (I could hear the station in the other room), completely understandable considering it is taking a much longer route than on my VNC/IP-Sound local network setup. The interface with my Pro II was impressive.

If I were to need to connect to my station from a location outside of my LAN RCForb would be the way to go.

Bill K4FX
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »

Well, I tried the remotehams software and it does work. I have tuned a few remote stations and even can transmit on 2 stations. I have not done this however. This is because I have a simple question...

Just what can I do with these stations? I mean, I can transmit and call CQ I guess. However, it seems these stations suggest that you use their remote for only about 3 minutes. That is OK for a 5-9 good luck in the contest type of "QSO" but at other times...like mid-day during a weekday, what harm would there be in using the rig for a short ragchew especially if no one else is trying to use the remote? I do find that I can not email the owner...at least in the ones I have been looking at.

What am I missing here? Also, I am not talking about big stations with mono beams, but small stations running about 100 Watts to a dipole or GAP, etc. This is fine for a band I will not be able to use from home like 75. As far as a big gun station goes, I guess I do not see the thrill of running 1500 watts to a stack of 15M beams. Of course you will get thru!
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »

FYI,
You folks in the US DO REALIZE you must be monitoring and be able to control your station when its in remote use?? or a designated control operator must be monitoring and able to turn it off? Remote base is not a term found in Part 97 but Telecommand of an Amateur Station is and those are the rules you must read and follow as well as the control operator section (dont have a copy of Part 97? Its available via the FCC or ARRL web site). You cannot simply leave your station online 24/7 for ANYONE to operate....it is basically the same as if you left your front door open for anyone to walk in and operate your station at any time (with you not monitoring). Its your license on the line. The FCC presumes the trustee/licensee is the control op unless it is noted in the station records (per 97.103c)

Chris
WB5ITT
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:12:06 PM by WB5ITT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: