Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best dual-band mobile antenna  (Read 1706 times)
VA2DV

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »

Hi everyone !
I am planning to use my dual band HT (Icom IC-92AD) from the car a few times in the near future
and I am wondering what is the best possible mobile antenna for this low-power application ? There
is a thousand of models from Comet/Diamond/Maldol..name it.
I will probably put a trunk/lip mount on the hatch of my Nissan Cube.

Thanks for your input !
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:45:47 AM »

Hi,

I have been very pleased with the Diamond SG7900ANMO. Nice gain for dual band antenna (you will need it at low power), folder over mast to get into garages etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave KD8GEH
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »

Any time someone asks about the "best" antenna / rig / coax / etc., they may be
asking the wrong question.  That's because there are a lot of variables, and you
are going to try to find a compromise among them that works for you.  But without
being more explicit about your relative priorities of the different factors, nobody
can tell you which one is better for your needs.

I've used a number of dual-band antennas over the years while driving through
a marginal coverage area during my commute.  The actual difference in performance
in difficult terrain isn't all that much in the real world.  For any practical length,
you're probably talking a maximum of around 1 to 2dB difference on 2m between a
simple ground plane and the tallest antenna.  (For an omnidirectional vertical antenna,
height is the only way to get gain:  two properly designed antennas of the same height
will have the same gain.)  On FM you can detect a difference in the level of background
noise and see some difference in the meter reading (which is NOT calibrated, and may
have only a 10dB range from no indication to full scale, regardless of the markings.)

Besides gain, durability is an important factor.  I've tried a number of dual-band antennas
that have compromised of multiple segments / coils / etc.  I find they have a higher level
of intermittent noise while in motion (which I attribute to flexing at the joints) compared
to those made from a single length of conductor for both the radiator and any loading
coils.

From that perspective I'd recommend the Larsen 270.
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »

I use a Comet SBB-5NMO with a FT-7900R in my truck with good effect.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »

I wanted a 2m/440 antenna that would go on a 3/8x24 mount.  I bought one from Buxcomm (www.packetradio.com, I think) the other week.  It cost me $9 US and works just fine.  :-)
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »

Larsen NMO270 with the black "curly cue" whip.  Not as much gain as some of the Diamond and Comet monsters but it's pretty much indestructible.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »

Austin 500C

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2771

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »

I use a little Diamond MR 77 mag mount. It is 20 inches tall and works good on 2 meters and 440. Costs about 36 dollars. Nice, well built antenna.
73, Jim. W5JJG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: