Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Answering CQ from DX  (Read 830 times)
AB9NZ

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »

One of my copies of the ARRL Handbook says a courteous operator should never answer a dx call on his own frequency. Have I been wrong to just zero beat and answer a CQ from a foreign land?
  Thanks Guys, Tom, AB9NZ
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »

"a courteous operator should never answer a dx call on his own frequency"

You sure that's not specific to the section about split operation?

If a DX station is calling CQ, listening simplex, and you call him up 1kHz, it's going to be hard to complete a QSO ;-)  

If a DX station has a simplex pileup, sometimes it's *easier* to get through if you tune off a couple hundred hertz in either direction from zero beat, but it's not discourteous to call zero beat.

If a I'm a DX station sending "QRZ de 7O/N3OX UP" it's very rude to call on my frequency.

If you don't know which situation you're in, the courteous thing to do is listen until you can figure it out; but it's only rude to call on the transmitting frequency of stations who are actually working split!

I'm a relative newbie (13 years) and have always had modern solid state dual "VFO" rigs that do split at a push of a button, so there's one more thing that comes to mind, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

If the DX station's transmitter were crystal controlled and he's got a receiver with a VFO and is tuning for calls from a mix of rockbound and frequency agile stations, I can see that it would be rude for someone with a VFO transmitter to call on the DX transmitting frequency.  Why?  The same reason it's rude to call if he's working modern split.  It makes it hard for others to hear the DX come back to them.

In fact, now that I think of it, maybe it really should remain a part of the modern code of conduct.  If you're in a DX pileup and the DX will answer calls anywhere between 1kHz up and down to and including his transmit frequency, everyone should err on the side of *up,* even if the DX gives no specific instructions.  

Yeah, you can call zero-beat and get through, but it's still kind of rude if you could call 1.2kHz up and get through instead.

But this is all pileup stuff, as far as answering leisurely CQ's from overseas, zero-beat away ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:37 AM »

How old is that handbook? I know that nonsense was in ARRL handbooks 50 years ago when most transmitters were still crystal controlled. It confused me too as a novice.

In the extremely unlikely event you stumble on Dan in 7O  (Yemen) calling CQ, answer him on his own frequency instantly and without a micron of thought to what some ARRL handbook says. You'll have mere seconds to get Yemen in the log (especially with web spotting) before a monstrous pileup develops. If he wants to go split **he*** has the obligation to make that clear, which he probably will after a few Qs. (it's slightly possible his station isn't capable of split operation)

Should add that that any exchange with a 7O should be brief, a report and perhaps your state. No name, certainly no weather report or station info. Let the DX establish the rules. Very, very unlikely he'll want to ragchew.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

Is that book from the 1930s?

That info is very outdated and obsolete. Hear a DX station calling CQ? Just zero beat and call. That's it.

And that's zero beat the DX signal and not just tune to some specific even-numbered nearby frequency like 14.205.00 (when the DX station is really on 14.204.87) or some of the other silly practices I occasionally hear on the bands.

73, N4KZ
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »

from
ARRL 42nd edition 1965
The Radio Amateur's Handbook
page 578

DX OPERATING CODE
( for W/VE Amateurs )

part 2. Do not call a DX station

line d. Exactly on his frequency

is out of date

use common sense

a G3 calling cq on 14035
you call him on his freq

Fly Speck reef is on for 48 hours
10,000 stations are calling him

you do not call on his freq

Mac

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »

What would have been the rationale for that odd policy? I wondered about that then and I still do (LOL!)  

VFOs were rare and costly until Heath brought out their VF1 around 1953. Perhaps the ARRL didnt want to concede a huge advantage to VFO users over the multitude of stations who could only afford one or two crystals. Novices were required to use crystals.

Any ideas?    
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »

Wow guys, thank you for the quick and very well thought out replys.
  I saw this in the references in the 2004 edition of the ARRL HANDBOOK on page 30.36 Under "DX Operating Code". It also urges DX stations not to answer calls on thier own frequency.
  I think I'll just go with my gut instead of my handbook.
  As a side note Japan was coming in loud and clear this morning, I think good things are in the works.
   Thank you fellas,es 73, de Tom AB9NZ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »

Don't understand that.

Most DX doesn't generate a pileup. How does one in the USA define DX? Canada? Puerto Rico? England? Japan? That policy would double frequency usage. I chase DX on 60 meters. Do I use another of that band's 5 channels? Does this apply to VHF? Meteor scatter Qs?

DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »

> Don't understand that.

I just looked up that page in my ARRL Handbook (2000ed) and the text is not very clear. It seems to imply (but doesn't explicitly tell) that the DX station always works split.

Maybe someone should send a quick note to the editor of the ARRL Handbook -- if nobody tells them to review it, the same text will be there for the next 20 editions.

73, Fabian

9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »

Some DX guys call CQ for a ragchew, so we listen on simplex. Some in 9V even go so far as to turn off and do something else when they are spotted on the cluster and inevitable boring 599 TU routine is supposed to start. Different strokes.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »

"Some in 9V even go so far as to turn off and do something else when they are spotted on the cluster and inevitable boring 599 TU routine is supposed to start"

So just log in to a telnet cluster with a fake callsign and re-spot yourself thus:

DX de WZ4AZJ: 14027.9 W7/9V1VV QTH Seattle!

The guys who snipe the cluster for DX will leave you alone ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:16 PM »

What an amazing community of radiotelegraphers check into this forum. I got to receive the answer to my question right from the DX horse's mouth. Thanks for sharing your experience guys.
  73, de Tom Bruzan, AB9NZ
P.S. QRZ Fabian(DJ1YFK) es see his bio, he's packed a whole lot into his young life. 73 folks
VK4TJF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:15:12 PM »

I guess that i could be considered being DX living here here in australia, and I say yes please zero beat and call me on the exact frequency that i call cq, except when i'm working split in which case i'll inform people periodically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: