Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow lingering death of MARS.  (Read 189124 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »

Your post makes no sense.  You fail to state how a PRC-148 relates to the decline of MARS.

-Do you think this radio is causing the decline of MARS?

or
-Do you think that MARS would be improved by using these $21,000 VHF/UHF radios?
KD2DNZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:13 AM »

Say what? What does the Prc-148 have to do with the slow lingering death of MARS?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »

Hello.

What is wrong with MARS, the AN/PRC-148.
This is a large form factor Walkie Talkie that covers 30 MHz to 512 MHz.
It does satellite communications directly.
It does AM and FM.
The newer JTRS even does some digital waveforms.
Everyone has one.
That is what is wrong.

Huh?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »

Hello.

What is wrong with MARS, the AN/PRC-148.
This is a large form factor Walkie Talkie that covers 30 MHz to 512 MHz.
Ho-hum
It does satellite communications directly.
And, that would be via the Navy's 250MHz vicinity satellite repeater that the Argentine's surreptitiously use on occasion, not commercial Iridium and such.
It does AM and FM.
OK, it can talk to civilian and military AM aircraft gear.
But, it might not do narrow band FM, since most military use wide band FM.  No public safety.  But, could talk to marine, amateur or GMRS radios.

The newer JTRS even does some digital waveforms.
Won't do Pactor III or IV.
Everyone has one.
That is what is wrong.
Haven't convinced me.
AF5DN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »

I thought MARS was a candy bar!

Of course I user Apple Fritter 5 DoNut for my call phonetics... LOL

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:25 AM »

I believe that when some of you talk about the military having communications covered and the lack of encryption with MARS making it useless etc. I think your not considering disasters on a scale that our planet has not seen in modern history but is none the less a certainty at some point in the future.  I'm talking about asteroids, super volcanoes like Yosemite and plagues.
If there's one thing that's certain it's that low tech will be the glue that might hold things together when everything else gets crippled or overwhelmed.
I can only hope that those people who make the big choices see the importance of thousands of multiple independent stations spread across the globe. If we get hit with the big one, encryption and speed will not even be a priority.

I was in Jamaica when hurricane Gilbert hit with near 200 mph winds for about 12 hours.  When it left it left the country had no form of communication to the outside world except ham radio operators. The island was leveled, all three international satellite dishes destroyed, no phone, power or water.  It was only hams relaying the situation to various countries that started us getting what we needed. Most of those guys used dipoles and car batteries to keep the towns connected.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:05:26 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »

Just try to find one, I haven't seen any in stores in years.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Chocolate-Bars-6-Count/dp/B000FNC60Y

Cheesy
WA1OEZ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »

MARS is far from dead.   Army MARS is currently relaying and creating encrypted traffic on Local, Regional, National and International levels.  Using voice and MIL-STD (Military Standard) digital modes, supporting the National Guard, the U.S. Army and other DoD components.  Using voice and digital together on multi-mode nets we are working with reserve and active duty units across the country.

Bob Mims
New England Director
Army MARS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

MARS is far from dead.   Army MARS is currently relaying and creating encrypted traffic on Local, Regional, National and International levels.  Using voice and MIL-STD (Military Standard) digital modes, supporting the National Guard, the U.S. Army and other DoD components.  Using voice and digital together on multi-mode nets we are working with reserve and active duty units across the country.

Bob Mims
New England Director
Army MARS

Again "Army MARS is".  WHY is this not being done for all branches of MARS?  IF the three branches were merged, the whole organization would be leaner, more efficient and INTEROPERABLE!
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:16 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Chocolate-Bars-6-Count/dp/B000FNC60Y

Cheesy

Lol that's cheating.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

I am an AMARS member and have been for many years.  Should all 3 branches merge?  Certainly.  Will they?  Not in the immediate future.  It's like the celibacy  in the Catholic church.  Will it change--yes but probably not in my lifetime.
Art
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »

I use to belong to MARS and back "then" it was a very good thing.  Now, there are just so many avenues (via technology) to pass information back and forth I just don't see a real demand.  Good to keep up skill levels but I think the ranks are thinning.  There use to be hamfests and a MARS meeting I would attend and you would be taking home scads of surplus stuff and that was nice, but that too stopped years ago.

I don't see much need for traffic nets or hurricane nets or whatever they are called.  The last thing one needs is to be fiddling wiht radio during something like that, perhaps the aftermath, sure, but there is so much technology out there to do the same, faster and simpler....
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »

Again "Army MARS is".  WHY is this not being done for all branches of MARS?  IF the three branches were merged, the whole organization would be leaner, more efficient and INTEROPERABLE!
[/quote]

Same reason(s) as why don't all the open repeaters in a given area use the same CTCSS tone to help avoid the 'Chinese fire drill' that traveler's and visitors encounter now???......I'll tell ya' why; cause it makes too damned much sense!!!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »

Same reason(s) as why don't all the open repeaters in a given area use the same CTCSS tone to help avoid the 'Chinese fire drill' that traveler's and visitors encounter now???......I'll tell ya' why; cause it makes too damned much sense!!!
[/quote]

I can't agree about the repeaters but, consolidating the commands make sense.  Of course it  threatens to break some rice bowls.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: