The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow lingering death of MARS.  (Read 771806 times)
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »

Well known fact known to only a few, the US Air Force invented M.A.R.S.

Radio didn't become useful until the National Security act of 1947 which made the U.S.
Army, Navy and Marine Corps their own independent branches. They were all under the
USAF before then.

B.T.W. George Washington crossed the Potomac in his F-111 or was it an F-104. I can't
remember. I sometimes get my facts mixed up.

Off to 160 meters phone.

Kraus

Kraus, I hope you enjoyed your time on 160 meters.  But to set the record straight:

US Army was established on June 14, 1775
US Navy established on October 13, 1775
US Marine Corps established November 10, 1775

You are correct that the US Air Force was created as a separate branch in 1947...prior to that it was called the Army Air Corps and was actually started by the Army Signal Corps.

As for radio, radio use began as early as 1912 in the armed services and was widely used throughout WWI and WWII.

Hope you have a great radio day!

v/r

Paul
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2017, 06:42:09 PM »

Interesting discussion all-over-the-map.

How many people know that MARS deployed in support of Hurricane Katrina?  Natural disaster, comms flooded / broken / etc.  Message traffic was flying.  In the same vein, the ARES / RACES guys and just plain ol' hams deployed themselves.  They set up outside of shelters and people came to send a MARS gram (MARS telegram, ARRL gram, etc) to their loved ones to let them the that they were okay for now.

Wonder what will happen when "the big one" hits California?  Hmm-m-m-m

All that aside, MARS still exists, and still meets on the air regularly.  I will guess there are about 30 people per average population state.  They pass information, and messages, much as they would do in a National Emergency.  The bands suck rather spectacularly right now but they will get the message through. 

For those that complained about the reams of regulation . . . .  Sad   Yes, darn it.  They are still using old formats that were originally developed for message centers, etc.  There are no message centers anymore, but MARS clings to their Routing Indicators (RIs) like glue.  Sigh. 

MARS is becoming DoD MARS, though.  One service, one communications corps.  This is a good thing. 

I leave you with a thought.  Why does this site exist?  www.netc.com

Why do people that have radioactive seeds implanted, for cancer, have to carry an ID?  Why are they pulled over by Border Patrol???

Google "suitcase nuke", and follow some links.  What do you know about Electro Magnetic Pulse?  (EMP)?
     (Good discussion https://www.quora.com/How-does-an-EMP-electromagnetic-pulse-work-and-what-is-it-effects-Explain-in-details )

We have all kinds of lovely solid state electronics that run the switching stations, the electric grid, all communications.  Just think of what will happen if terrorists do manage to nuke somewhere.   Who will be left?   Go watch Terminator again . . . .
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »

I leave you with a thought.  Why does this site exist?  www.netc.com
See:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread982505/pg1
for a hint as to why.

It's just some guy that is fascinated with the subject like all of us...  Not a Government site by any means...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2017, 04:06:41 AM »

Interesting discussion all-over-the-map.

The more I read this, the more I pictured Rod Serling standing there and the theme music of "The Twilight Zone" began to play in my head.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K1LEM

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

When I was a kid I had the MARS call AA1LEM. I never like military discipline and the NETS I did hear were well supervised and obeyed protocol. To my chagrin about two years ago I heard these guys talking about cars, the weather and horses..
Its was a MARS net. never would that have ever been permitted in 1965!

Its just a way for these guys to rag chew outside the ham frequencies!
WB2MVM

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »

O! M! G!
I swear, whoever initially entitled this thread, "Slow, Lingering Death of MARS," must've been prophetic!
No one seems to be letting MARS die, consequently, it's death is going slowly & it's lingering!
Embarrassed Undecided Shocked Angry
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »

MARS is alive and well.  Just what is it that makes you think we are in a lingering demise?
Art
WB2MVM

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »

Um.....Gee, Art/N9AOP!

Ya don't suppose maybe you should be addressing the question, to the person who initially entitled the thread, don't ya?!

After all, the person who initially entitled it, is the one who used the words, "lingering," and, "demise," to describe MARS (DERP)!

W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »

I always thought he was referring to the membership, which is unfortunately true.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

Sorry guys, I forgot to address to the original poster.  As far as the membership, this organization is no different than any other volunteer group be it your church or EOC in that the percentage of volunteers shrinks every year.  Even in the local soup kitchen, to keep a qualified staff you need to give them some type of stipend.  Look at it this way, if MARS paid its members or gave them expensive military radio equipment, there would be a ton of folks knocking at the door to get in and unfortunately a lot of them would be wasters.
Art
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »

Sorry guys, I forgot to address to the original poster.  As far as the membership, this organization is no different than any other volunteer group be it your church or EOC in that the percentage of volunteers shrinks every year.  Even in the local soup kitchen, to keep a qualified staff you need to give them some type of stipend.  Look at it this way, if MARS paid its members or gave them expensive military radio equipment, there would be a ton of folks knocking at the door to get in and unfortunately a lot of them would be wasters.
Art
I was in Army MARS many years ago, but moved out of the area and resigned as a result. Never did get back in. But I have no doubt it is still viable.

There were stories told back then about MARS members being able to get military surplus gear. But I never saw it happen. I still wonder if that ever really happened or was just urban legend.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

Yes, MARS members used to be able to get military surplus gear on a "permanent loan" basis. It had to be turned back in when you left MARS although some times they wouldn't take it back. What I saw in the 1970's wasn't late model equipment in good condition, it was things like old teletype machines, equipment racks, etc. It helped to be located near a military base where you could go pick up the equipment.

I think it eventually became an administrative headache that wasn't worth the hassle.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »

Art
I was in Army MARS many years ago, but moved out of the area and resigned as a result. Never did get back in. But I have no doubt it is still viable.

There were stories told back then about MARS members being able to get military surplus gear. But I never saw it happen. I still wonder if that ever really happened or was just urban legend.

Back in the 70's I knew many MARS members that had literally tons of milsurp gear.  It was real.  I don't remember any of it really being worth all that much, but I saw a lot of boatanchors at guys houses and in storage.  Of course things like racks and desks can be useful. They were all built heck for stout that is for sure.  In my area at that time all three branches of MARS were represented, but the Air Force was the most numerous, with dozens of members in the Springfield Mo, area alone.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

////////

Believe me, it happened.  And, it was a big part of participation "rewards" back in the 1960s through the 1990s.  When in AF in the 1960s, everything from receivers, transmitters, and lots of tubes, etc., were issued from designated warehouses.  In norcal, it was at McClellan AFB.  I remember getting a VHF receiver, a multimeter, spare parts and pieces.  A lot of it was expendable and not in the accounted-for inventory.  After college, I belonged to Army for about a decade.  80's to 00.  Lots of teletype machines, receivers, transmitters, amplifiers and miscellaneous gear.  It, however, at that time, as accounted for and had to be turned in.  The "warehouse" in CenCal Army was the director's garage in Santa Clara.  I was the tech manual coordinator for a time and had boxes upon boxes of manuals for all sorts of gear.  Did that for a few years, then passed it all to someone else.  Manuals were loaned from the library.  At one time, I had a nice R-390, which I turned back in when I moved.

Yes, that was a big incentive for many.  And, it supported the huge message traffic system in place to support deployed service personnel.

Fun times, when many had a more direct recognition for service to those who served.

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »

When I was overseas those MARS ops had racks of beautiful Collins equipment.  I wasn't a ham then and it all looked to be sooo complicated!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: