The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow lingering death of MARS.  (Read 829533 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »

A number of you are recounting glorious experiences in MARS and many of these tales are way in the past. But the fundamental theme of this thread is the slow lingering death of MARS.  I know that MARS today is nothing compared to what it was but is it dead or just represented by a smaller group of active members and a much narrower mission? From what friends have told me, there was once a golden age of MARS where members received military radios to use as active net members and that there were meetings, and outings, and training exercises, etc.  Does that still exist on a national level or is it an occasional activity in only one or two areas of the country?  If MARS has declined to some marginal level there must be a reason for it.  Perhaps the NETs are boring, perhaps the budgets have been cut to a point so as not to offer any real incentive to participate; no training, no field exercises, etc. If that's the case and the trend continues, then it is dying with no chance for recovery.  MARS is a national organization right?  If only one or two districts are active and the rest are not then I would say it's dead.  Just holding a weekly net with three or so operators does not represent a vibrant organization.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »

A number of you are recounting glorious experiences in MARS and many of these tales are way in the past. But the fundamental theme of this thread is the slow lingering death of MARS.  I know that MARS today is nothing compared to what it was but is it dead or just represented by a smaller group of active members and a much narrower mission? From what friends have told me, there was once a golden age of MARS where members received military radios to use as active net members and that there were meetings, and outings, and training exercises, etc.  Does that still exist on a national level or is it an occasional activity in only one or two areas of the country?  If MARS has declined to some marginal level there must be a reason for it.  Perhaps the NETs are boring, perhaps the budgets have been cut to a point so as not to offer any real incentive to participate; no training, no field exercises, etc. If that's the case and the trend continues, then it is dying with no chance for recovery.  MARS is a national organization right?  If only one or two districts are active and the rest are not then I would say it's dead.  Just holding a weekly net with three or so operators does not represent a vibrant organization.

You hit the nail squarely on the head.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »

Region 5 army MARS is very active with 2 nets per day every day.  Other regions have similar activity along with 4 major exercises per year.
Art
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »

A friend of mine just got involved with Army MARS.
From what he tells me, it's not dead or dying at all.
The way they do things now may not be everyone's cup of tea,
but the fact is, he's really enjoying it.

MARS may not be what it was 30 or 40 years ago,
but I don't think it's dying as many people think.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
KD2DNZ

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »

From what I see Army MARS is very active, while AF MARS seems to be near death.
N9VMO

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

From what I see Army MARS is very active, while AF MARS seems to be near death.

It might be dying in other areas of the U.S., but here in Region 5 we are very active.
W2KB

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »

Likewise the combined AF MARS Regions 1, 2 and 3 daily morning and evening nets typically have at least 30 to 40 members check in.  Most members also have digital encrypted data transmission/reception capability as well.  As to the website, the Headquarters website is indeed kept up to date and can be accessed here:  http://www.mars.af.mil/
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: