Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch Out for ve3ngw Chris Katoufis  (Read 4926 times)
W0YNF

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »

Told this person to consider his radio "sold" by phone all I had to do was get his address to send
postal MO to purchase. Got the Money order and filled it out to mail, went to my email
to inform him MO on the way.....  Sorry,, I have already sold it. So now I have a filled
out MO in his name and no radio.. Must be a used car salesman. What to do with a Postal
MO in his name.. Knowing the PO like I do it will take them 3 months to get my money back.
KA9MOT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »

Been there, done that! Take the money order and receipt back to the post office and tell them the deal fell through. They'll return your money.
W0YNF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »

Been there, done that! Take the money order and receipt back to the post office and tell them the deal fell through. They'll return your money.

Will definately try that.. The whole thing is just maddening as hell. Whatever happened to character and honesty?
VE3NGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

Jeff,
I called you and emailed you all day to tell you that someone else who was interested had already paid for it through paypal because I hadn't heard back from you after giving you my address.
I  apologized and told you that I will find another Icom 718 in two days.  Sometimes there's no control on who pays first when there are several people interested.
This is the same as many others who say they are going to send a check that never comes. 
I tried to help you out and get you another like new 718,  I would do anything to make a customer happy especially one who had good intentions and honored his deal as you did.
Unfortunately when I found out it had been purchased through Paypal by someone I was talking with the night before,  there was nothing I can do about it other than try to get a hold of you. 
You on the other hand went off on a vulgar rampage where your F words exceeded your regular words grossly. 
I remained calm and apologetic and promised to find you another 718.
The very next day I found you two 718's and emailed you the ads.  Your answer was as rude as you phone calls.
I'm kind enough not to post your email so others can see. Sorry that you had to go back and cash the money order I guess I can understand your frustration
Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding and have great day.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »

Jeff,
I called you and emailed you all day to tell you that someone else who was interested had already paid for it through paypal because I hadn't heard back from you after giving you my address.
I  apologized and told you that I will find another Icom 718 in two days.  Sometimes there's no control on who pays first when there are several people interested.

Chris,

This is where you erred. You could prevent the Paypal payment by not giving out your Paypal account to the other buyer. If you agreed to accept payment by money order to W0YNF and you gave him your address, the radio is essentially sold and remains so giving the buyer reasonable time to purchase and send the money order. For anyone contacting you afterwards saying they can pay now with Paypal, you just say "I already sold it to another ham who is going to pay by money order. I am going to give him a couple of days to send it out with a tracking number*. If hasn't done so I can sell the Icom to you." Then you go back to W0YNF and tell him that you have other buyers in the wings and that he needs to send the money order out by the next business day or something like that.

Ray KJ6AMF

* The MO also has a serial number. I think you can check the number at the post office to see if a check for the amout was actually purchase as further proof that payment is on the way.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »

This is why I always use PayPal. Money transfer is instantaneous. Buyer and seller are protected from fraud. When I sell I always insist on Pay Pal, this way there is no misunderstanding, whoever I get the payment from first gets the item. Like the seller said, when someone says the check is in the mail and it does not come. The seller is then forced to re list the item at his expense. In retail sales it is always first payment gets the item. It sounds like this seller went all out to please you and you sound very bitter.

73s

K2OWK
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »

I disagree.  If the seller SAYS 'first payment gets the item,' THEN that is the case.  If the seller agreed to accept a money order, he should have the common decency to wait that short time to see if the money order is actually sent BEFORE he sells it to someone else.

When a deal is made, it should be followed through.  In this case the if the buyer had sent the money order already and the seller sold the item to someone else, the seller is at fault for not following through.  He isn't vindicated just because he got his money already, IOW, because he made another deal.
VE3NGW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

This is not a right-wrong debate,  He said he was going to get a  money order,  I had already been paid through paypal without knowing about it from someone who called the night before and said he needed time to think about it.  JEFF NEVER SENT ME THE MONEY ORDER!!!
I tried calling Jeff and emailing him to stop him before he went to get the money order.
Jeff never sent the money order but he was concerned and upset because he thought that he couldn't cash the mo back to himself.
I tried to make things right by asking him to wait one day so I can get another NEW Icom 718 for him but he was too upset to accept my solution.
I went ahead and found him two Icom IC-718 for a lower price just to help him but he didn't want them.
It's upsetting sometimes when someone paying through Paypal gets there first,  it would bother me for a second and I would move on to another 718,  there are plenty to go around,  I certainly wouldn't try to tarnish someone's reputation on an open forum with name calling and warnings.
I apologized several times and I hope Mr. Jeff is good with that.  BTW the radio was on QTH.COM for 3 weeks and I had several people saying they wanted it but no payment ever came. 
This is the first time I came across a situation like this in 45 years of radio dealing and I will change the way of accepting payments.
This will never happen again.  No more mailed in checks and mo's.  If you don't have Paypal or a valid Credit Card no deal. 
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »

This is not a right-wrong debate,  He said he was going to get a  money order,  I had already been paid through paypal without knowing about it from someone who called the night before and said he needed time to think about it.****

Well, as you know, if you have paypal,. you can send the funds right back to the person who sent it. Smiley   Have a blessed day everyone~!
WA8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Hey Jeff QRZ says your license expired in March- Hope they're wrong. Good luck
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:50:15 AM »

R_O_T_F_L Jeff! He renewed on the same day you posted an expired license. How......................coincidental.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:14:12 AM »

This is not a right-wrong debate,  He said he was going to get a  money order,  I had already been paid through paypal without knowing about it from someone who called the night before and said he needed time to think about it....  

No, this IS a right/wrong debate.  No matter what transpired, Jeff said he was getting a money order to send to you.  In effect the radio was sold as soon as that agreement was made.  The other buyer (who said he had to think about it) was, in fact, the SECOND person in line to purchase SINCE JEFF WAS ALREADY GETTING THE MONEY ORDER!  Note the underlined in the quote--you made the agreement with Jeff BEFORE the payment was made known to you.  

You are entirely right about one thing, however--you offered to make things right by getting another Icom to sell him, and he should not have started this thread--simply because you did try to make things right.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:18:47 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KB3OYO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »

Hi all, I am the guy who bought the radio. I was first in line and there were others who contacted Chris after me. I did ask him to hold it for a few hours to clear the purchase through my wife(yes I am hen pecked) and he said he would only for a short time as others are in line for it. I Do not know exactly what was said to the others but Chris made me aware to not make him wait more than the time I asked because of letting the others know as soon as possible and so he can it off QTH. My dealings with Chris were very good as speedy, the radio is very nice and works great. I know how these things can go,I have sold items on these ham sites and had guys get mad at me for funny things. I told people where they are in line and if buyers backed out I would go down the list as in order of the emails coming in. I had guys tell me they are sending mo to me before I had gotten to them on the list and call me all sorts of things.

My Dealings were good with Chris and I would deal with him again. He communicated what was going on and was concerned with other buyers feelings. He offered a solution to the other guy which he never really had to and this should say a lot, he felt bad about the whole situation and that is great. The other buyer should have worked with him. Give him a break and if the other buyer wants it that bad I will even sell it to him if he wants.

Just wanted to say my 2 cents.

Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: